Search

help me get Satisfaction from AA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 1999, 11:02 am
EMD
Original Member
Original Poster

help me get Satisfaction from AA

I just had a great long weekend in Key West that turned out to be much longer and much more expensive than expected due to AA. It started with AA's unilateral change in the time of one of my flights - from ORD to MIA - which would have caused me to miss my connection to Key West - when I discovered this "change" in ORD and called AA's toll-free number, they could do nothing for me b/c I hadn't yet "missed" my flight to Key West. I went to the desk in ORD, waited for ages and was told that yes, this had happened and no, I couldn't get to Key West that day b/c all other flights were booked solid and NO they would not pay for me to rent a car and drive to Key West. It was only when I asked to speak to this woman's supervisor, and after he played with the computer for a minute or so, was he able to magically find me a seat. No harm, no foul - except for me having to be in MIA when I should have been by the pool. The return trip was 13X worse - my flight from MIA to ORD was delayed 3 hours due to maintenance to the plane in the Caymans, but those who'd missed their connections would get put up and be put on the first plane out in the a.m. - so we were told. When I got to ORD at 1 am, they were only offering to pay 50% of the hotel rate (b/c now they said the delay was due to weather), the first plane out to my destination was 12:45 in the afternoon (there were earlier, but all booked) - so I ended up paying for a hotel room and about $170 for a rental car to drive the two hours home - b/c the only car available was luxury with the one-way "penalty" - as you can tell - I AM STEAMED!!

How do I go about getting satisfaction from AA? I have already looked at Passengerrights.com - but am looking for hints as to how to go about complaining, to whom, and what compensation to request. Also have already missed a 1/2 day of work. I have never been so angry at a travel situation. Any hints?? Words of wisdom?

You know, I feel better already just having vented!! But now I want compensation - forget that, how about just repayment?

EMD
Old Jun 14, 1999, 11:29 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
American Airlines
PO Box 619612
Mail Drop 2400
Dallas-Fort Worth Airport, TX 75261-9612
817-967-2000

Old Jun 14, 1999, 4:29 pm
Original Member

Had a rotten run in with American this winter and was finally able to get a $200 voucher from them. After being ignored with my first letter (waited 4 weeks) to customer relations only, I faxed and mailed a seperate letter to both customer relations and Donald J. Carty.
The voucher and a letter of apology came 4 days later.
Donald J. Carty
Chairman, President and Chief Ex. Officer
P0 box 619616
DFW Airport, TX 75261-9616

This is the headquarters address. I got it and the names of the board of directors (they were next on my list to mail to) from www.amrcorp.com/corp_fac.htm#Headquarters

GOOD LUCK
Old Jun 14, 1999, 5:18 pm

EMD,

Perhaps this 1.travel.com, "Rules Of The Air" link will offer some additional insight or options???? Best wishes with your search for a just and well deserved remedy.

http://www.onetravel.com/rules/rules.cfm

MRLIMO
Old Jun 14, 1999, 5:50 pm
EMD
Original Member
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips - now I know where to write and how - next question - should I ask for anything more than just compensation of my expenses - I don't want to be greedy or outrageous - any ideas?
Old Jun 14, 1999, 9:02 pm
Original Member

EMD-Frankly, I don't think it matters what you ask for. You probably will only get a token acknowledgement, if anything. But who knows?
I asked for compensation of the price I paid for the tickets which was about $1,000 and got $200 in a voucher. I would have liked more but it felt good to just close the book on the whole rotten experience.
Old Jun 15, 1999, 12:03 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Here's where elite status theoretically helps, if you have it. I'd emphasize that you like American and want to fly them more often in the future, which I'm sure you do right? Best of luck!

wonderer- 4 weeks, then 4 days! I call tell it was not on NW! I'd got the same kind of response from CO-twice I'd got a return from my letters in less than a week! And that was (pre-Bethune) five or more years ago when they were not that great!
Old Jun 15, 1999, 1:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Welcome to flying. I guess we all have had some horror stories that we lived. Most of the time these are related to weather, mehcanical difficulity, and our preception of what should be done for us.

I am glad you checked some of the rules before writing. It was also good to run it by some of the people here on the site. I will provide you some other insight that you will might want to consider when you write.

On the trip out "AA unilaterally change the plane flight time". You will see that they retain the right to do just that. Who would they have to ask, anyway? Secondly, you will find on the ticket/or ticket jacket a notice to check your flight the day before take off to insure your itinery has not change. It is also important to leave a "notice" phone number, so they can notifly you of changes (some times it does happen, I have been so notified). So you may be partly a party to your own trouble on the outbound flight. That is not to say you can't try to get something out of AA for your inconvenience.

On the way back, you got caught in a mechanical, then weather related delay. Both, according to the rules are "not the airlines fault" (one could argue that better maintenance would drastically reduce such delays). The offer of a free room or 1/2 price room is a matter of contention. I am not sure on this one. But you chose not to take either but to Unilaterally decide to rent a luxury car and drive home. That is the other way of looking at it. So make sure you deal with those thoughts in mind when writing. Needed to be home. Car reimbursement would be offset for them by your not taking a room and your not taking the rest of your flight. That approach may work better. Inconvenience compensation is rarely more that more discount vouchers, or a marketing tool to get you to fly them again.

Don't be surprised if you have to rewrite and remind. As far as writing the President or the BOD, why waste your money. These letters are not read by anyone near those levels, but referred down the road to oblivian.

No one win. AA certainly does not benefit. You certainly did not benefit. It already cost AA money for hotels, transportation, meals, etc. You are out for a car and a very miserable time.

You have a chance to improve your position some. Take it calmly, and look at both sides, then request something reasonable, or at least make sure it appears reasonable.

Those are my thoughts anyway.
Old Jun 16, 1999, 6:48 am
Original Member

I can understand your frustration but have some comments of my own.

1. I agree with ranless that it is your responsibility to confirm your flights with the airlines. Over the past few weeks there have been problems at ORD with the radar installation. They changed radar and the FAA is slowing down planes in and out of AA. Your delay may have been the result of this -- not the airlines fault.

2. Compensation -- you can ask. I dont know how much you will get. But as long as you are professional in the letter, you may get something.

3. ranles -- regarding your remark about reading the letters -- I have a friend down in AA Customer Service in Dallas. He and I have discussed letters and priority. The receive 1000s of letters a week -- some positive and some negative. It takes a long time to read each letter and respond personally. Believe it or not -- each letter is personal -- some may sound scripted, but each incident needs to be reviewed (via the information you provide to the airline in the letter) by the CS agent. I have found that my letters were generally answered within 2 weeks. It may have been slower recently due to the volumn of letters assocatied with the Pilot's action in February but according to my friend, they have caught up.

As to your comment about Dont Fly AA -- it could happen on any airline. If you travel enough you learn which airlines your like, which you dont and go from there. If you need to fly somewhere in the near future and your choice is $1,000 on XYZ airline and $200 on American, I am willing to bet that most people (including yourself) would give AA a second try. Give it a shot -- you may be pleasantly surprised.

Regards.

--Jim
Old Jun 22, 1999, 11:29 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Seems if you fly enough, you'll get angry at everyone, as this FT board shows!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.