Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Peru's Prez gets down-graded

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 1999, 2:04 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Although I wasn't at the gate for this one, If I was a gate agent and someone walked up to me with an economy ticket and told me that they wanted a first class seat because they were president of Peru, I would tell them, "yeah right, on AA ,everyone's a president or first lady, so take your seat."

He should have made the appropriate contacts directly with AA and his government, not the gate agent. This would have probably never happened that way.
Old Jun 15, 1999, 2:09 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
This is not a question of trying to get upgraded. He bought a first class ticket and was downgraded. If you buy a first class ticket you shouldn't have to make any contacts or pull any strings to get a first class seat!
Old Jun 15, 1999, 2:32 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Definitely Beckles. In todays confusing and rapidly changing world, hopefully that is still true!
Old Jun 15, 1999, 4:25 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
If he had a first class ticket, AA messed up big time on this one, then. It just goes to show you how stories can be twisted through the grapevine.
Old Jun 16, 1999, 7:49 am
Original Member

Programs: OnePass
Somewhat related to this thread but on a different tangent....

I remember seeing in the PBS/BBC documentary 'Airport' how Queen Elizabeth II flew down for a state visit to Australia and New Zealand... on British Airways!

Unlike Slick Willie's private airline (the 89th Airlift Wing) the British RAF does maintain a small fleet of VIP aircraft called the 'Queen's Flight.' Mostly VIP-corverted BAe RJs suited for short hops to Europe. The long-hauls are trusted to BA.

The entire first-class section was taken over and converted into a private suite for the Queen, while the business class and coach section were just your regular passenger flight from LHR to SYD. And HM traveled under an assumed name. Don't know if she took advantage of BA's mileage program...

------------------
AlphaSigOU
Causa latet vis est notissima - the cause is hidden, the results are well-known.

Old Jun 16, 1999, 8:06 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I saw that special also, very interesting. The flight however was not on BA, but I believe Air New Zealand, as she was flying to New Zealand and the government of New Zealand paid for the flight.

It was a 747-400 I believe ...
Old Jun 16, 1999, 6:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: Delta Flying Colonel, Lifetime Silver Medallion, Million Miler
I heard this was all a hoax! The guy was really Dick Morris.
Old Jun 16, 1999, 9:26 pm

What interests me is this:

Peru is not exactly an incredibly stable nation. You're gone one minute and then they're staging a coup against you. Remember the one time Fujimori left for a little trip and returned to find rebels holding hostages at the Japanese embassy?

What was he doing traveling alone, without protection? Does he do this regularly?

Old Jun 16, 1999, 9:26 pm

What interests me is this:

Peru is not exactly an incredibly stable nation. You're gone one minute and then they're staging a coup against you. Remember the one time Fujimori left for a little trip and returned to find rebels holding hostages at the Japanese embassy?

What was he doing traveling alone, without protection? Does he do this regularly?

Old Jun 21, 1999, 1:06 am
Ty

philforest:
I'm not sure about US Diplomatic Passports, but some Diplomatic Passports have the bearer's diplomatic title (Occupation) listed on an endorsements/limitations or observations page.

-Ty

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.