Its gonna be a crazy travel summer. Im already seeing it

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2024, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,

Airports have been packed the last two weeks. Weather issues at DEN last week and DFW this week have resulted in clubs being standing room only at a variety of airports. TSA numbers seem to be up. Everyone is still going to Europe this summer. Efforts to reduce club crowding either havent worked or dont really start until next year.

Plan accordingly. The recession in leisure travel never happened - it just kept growing
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 17, 2024, 5:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Airports have been packed the last two weeks. Weather issues at DEN last week and DFW this week have resulted in clubs being standing room only at a variety of airports. TSA numbers seem to be up. Everyone is still going to Europe this summer. Efforts to reduce club crowding either havent worked or dont really start until next year.

Plan accordingly. The recession in leisure travel never happened - it just kept growing
Completely agree. This is what we are seeing as well. It's sort of becoming exhausting.

Travel has always been my wife and I's passion and hobby, but to be honest we are beginning to envision a time when that becomes less true and we need to find another hobby.

Regards
gaobest, SEA777GUY and strickerj like this.
Old May 17, 2024, 7:41 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Depending upon weather but I agree it's going to be as bad as last year, which was awful. Packed airports, consistent delayed flights, dirty and packed airline clubs, poor human behavior, etc. It's one reason I'm buying cash upgrades unless unreasonably priced. Also, limiting time at the airline club because in some ways it's worst than the gate areas.
Old May 17, 2024, 7:48 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I wonder about this. Certainly the lounges are packed, but on the other hand, there seems to be a fair amount of business class saver awards for this summer. Ive booked several TATLs. Maybe leisure travelers are not flying as much J? Though when looking at expertflyer seat maps, loads seem light in all classes on a lot of flights one or two months out, particularly EU carriers. Maybe lounge crowding is more affected by people being more aware of them and being in the habit of arriving earlier at the airport and having longer connections post-COVID?
Old May 17, 2024, 8:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Artpen100
I wonder about this. Certainly the lounges are packed, but on the other hand, there seems to be a fair amount of business class saver awards for this summer. Ive booked several TATLs. Maybe leisure travelers are not flying as much J? Though when looking at expertflyer seat maps, loads seem light in all classes on a lot of flights one or two months out, particularly EU carriers. Maybe lounge crowding is more affected by people being more aware of them and being in the habit of arriving earlier at the airport and having longer connections post-COVID?
Keep in mind that in many airline alliances people with frequent flyer status have lounge access no matter which cabin they are flying in (i.e. people with status get access even when flying coach). Additionally people with status can usually guest one or two people in, again irrespective of cabin/class, whereas usually folks just traveling in business class but without status, are usually not allowed to guest anyone in and only receive access for themselves.

Short answer is: J availability probably doesn't tell the whole story on lounge crowding.

Regards
Old May 18, 2024, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Isn’t every summer busy with travel except maybe 2020 and 2021. Maybe it’s warmer for usa and Europe which makes it less fun. I believe Asia is already always warmer so warmer will just be less fun and yet people still enjoy the travel. Plus Taylor performs in London so those who didn’t go to Paris in May will go to London in June. Add Olympics which isn’t annual so that adds to more.

I myself sincerely hope to have zero airplane stuff this summer. We will drive from sf to Anaheim for my son’s team’s tournament. I’m glad to not fly.
Old May 18, 2024, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest
Plus Taylor performs in London so those who didn’t go to Paris in May will go to London in June.
London in June AND August.

I know this because whilst we’re away contributing to the crazy numbers of visitors to Tokyo this August a Spanish friend of mine will have the key to my flat so that she can accompany her Swifty daughter to one of those shows and avoid the crazy accommodation prices in London.

July has K Pop’s Stray Kids headline Hyde Park, and I know this because the 15 year old we are hosting that month is keenly aware. It means we’ll be camped outside the perimeter on a picnic rug for the day, saturated in the overspill of screams, so, so many screams 😱
gaobest and StartinSanDiego like this.
Old May 21, 2024, 7:43 pm

I'm trying to figure out why it's near impossible to find a reasonably priced hotel room in Edinburg in September or early October. I can understand crowds during the summer, when schools are out, but from the second week of September until mid October in Scotland?
Old May 22, 2024, 8:55 am

U.S. airline lounges are pretty much always packed, especially in hubs. Obviously more so in summer than on a rainy Tuesday in March. But I think overall it's less to do with travel volume and more to do with the popularity of the 'mileage/status game' in the U.S. and the fairly widespread awareness of it (compared to the rest of the world).
Old May 22, 2024, 11:12 am

Programs: AA, Hilton
get to the airport 3 hrs early, bring ear plugs and walk up and down the terminals. Nothing gives better stress relief than walking the terminals
gaobest and Artpen100 like this.
Old May 24, 2024, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
I refuse to fly domestic for vacation in the summer, no point when there is already good weather at home. let the masochists fight among themselves

now if I can score F long haul and get priority everything, well ....
gaobest and SEA777GUY like this.
Old May 25, 2024, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

nyt has articles about hot Europe including anecdotes of cooler Northern Europe except reader comments also mention that its hot up north. So for summer travelers, dont forget about being able to adjust to weather changes.

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
I refuse to fly domestic for vacation in the summer, no point when there is already good weather at home. let the masochists fight among themselves

now if I can score F long haul and get priority everything, well ....
F long haul still isnt fun if its super full.
my goal is to not fly but just drive. Last year we had Chicago trip while my wife had severe plantar fasciitis. It was so exhausting for me that Ill use it as my excuse to refuse to fly because why spend so much on flights just so I can cater care? Id rather do that at home and save that flight & hotel money. Not fully enjoyable for me even with the ultra fun DO.
Old May 26, 2024, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

nyt has articles about hot Europe including anecdotes of cooler Northern Europe except reader comments also mention that its hot up north.
Northern Europe in the summer? One word for you: Midges.

Misery in its purest, most ancient form.
gaobest likes this.
Old May 26, 2024, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LapLap
Northern Europe in the summer? One word for you: Midges.

Misery in its purest, most ancient form.
insects! I googled that word. That said, arent there insects everywhere??
Old May 26, 2024, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

insects! I googled that word. That said, arent there insects everywhere??
Tell me you havent been to Northern Europe in the summer without telling me you havent been to Northern Europe in the summer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.