Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

FAA bill would force the agency to craft 'real world' rules for airplane evacuations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAA bill would force the agency to craft 'real world' rules for airplane evacuations

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2024, 12:17 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Again, there is little data to go on. Air travel is that safe. But the answer to a great safety record isn't to say "Let's just wait for people to die before we make changes."
The data exists. What open recommendations does the NTSB have regarding aircraft evacuations? That is a good place to start.

You can search the NTSB database for such recommendations.

Here's one from the AAL 767 uncontained engine failure during takeoff at ORD a few years ago. Six of the nine recommendations are related to evacuation.

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/...CA17FA021.aspx

I don't know of any recommendations for changes to how the maximum seating capacity is determined but that doesn't mean that there aren't some.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by LarryJ; May 17, 2024 at 12:24 pm
Old May 17, 2024, 1:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
I certainly agree there's no magic in 90 seconds and half the exits. Maybe it's time for a 60-second standard with half the exits blocked, given the artificial conditions that have to be in place.

The 90-second standard was developed in the 1960s, when far fewer persons with disabilities were flying. I don't think putting some luggage in the aisle makes up for that 60-year trend.
There's also the uncomfortable issue of people who require wheelchair assistance to board and deplane. Presumably the FAs have training on how best to handle those situations.

People weren't flying with pets and service animals in the 60's either. You might convince most people to leave their bags behind, but no one is leaving a pet or service animal behind.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old May 18, 2024, 4:25 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by chollie
There's also the uncomfortable issue of people who require wheelchair assistance to board and deplane. Presumably the FAs have training on how best to handle those situations.

People weren't flying with pets and service animals in the 60's either. You might convince most people to leave their bags behind, but no one is leaving a pet or service animal behind.
In life and death situations hard choices may have to be made. I would hope the FA's training includes not letting passengers who need wheelchair assistance impede the egress of other passengers or place their own lives at additional risk.
Old May 19, 2024, 7:49 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Not sure what the difference would be - real world testing standards would most likely lead to less dense aircraft seating because there is no way they can evacuate 160 people from a 737 in 90 seconds, and we're talking US flight attendants, not Japanese, so they are more prone to panic and scream along with the passengers, instead of calmly leading an evacuation.
The difference is that the rules will stay the same, and how they implement them will change, resulting in a more realistic interpretation of them, and, potentially higher safety benefits.
Old May 19, 2024, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Heyden (Post # 18)
I would hope the FA's training includes not letting passengers who need wheelchair assistance impede the egress of other passengers or place their own lives at additional risk.
I would fully expect that flight attendant (FA) training does not include sacrificing the lives of those with disabilities.
Old May 19, 2024, 9:44 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
I would fully expect that flight attendant (FA) training does not include sacrificing the lives of those with disabilities.
It involved evacuating the able-bodied first then helping the rest get out.
SPN Lifer and Heyden like this.
Old May 24, 2024, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
That presumes the FA's are physically able to oversee the evacuation. Look at the recent Singapore Airlines incident, several FA's were among the injured. What if there is damage to the aircraft that required an emergency evacuation upon landing, and multiple FA's are injured? Too many people ignore the safety briefings now, so you'd be left with not only the disabled needing instruction and assistance, but the pax in general not knowing what to do or how to do it.

My personal opinion is that the greatest impediment to a fast evacuation is baggage fees. Somebody trying to save their roll-aboard from the overhead bin would cause a serious logjam in the aisle, but nobody is going to try to rescue their luggage from the cargo compartment. Get more baggage out of the passenger compartment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.