Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rick Steves would not be an FTer

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2024, 10:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Artpen100
Thinking about this some more, how is it that he has flown so much in TATL economy, yet he has not had to sit next to a large person overflowing into his seat, a belligerent yelling drunk, a person behind him objecting to his reclining on an overnight flight or a person who has not bathed in a week? Let alone that at his age he doesn’t have lots of aches and pains after sitting upright for 8 hours. These are all the reasons I went from flying international economy when I was younger to figuring out how to get upgrades and saver awards.
This seems like kind of a silly thread. Rick Steves has certainly earned the right to fly (and travel) in any method he desires. He certainly doesn't owe a bunch of anonymous FTers a justification.

And frankly, this might be hard to believe, but literally the mass of humanity fly (successfully) just as you have described in your post, including older people, every single day and they all arrive at their destinations, all over the world, mostly in one piece. It is a very, very tiny percent of human beings that travel, globally, in business class every day to everywhere.

FT is a rather bizarre (and occasionally dysfunctional) little bubble, but again most of humanity fly in coach and they survive just fine.

Regards
Old May 12, 2024, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Nobody said he or anyone else can't choose coach, though if it were up to some people, there would only be one class of cabins.

I posted this because I thought it might be of interest, since he's a famous travel author who has a completely different POV on international flying compared to FT members.

As noted, he's leaving a ton of points and miles on the table, which he could donate, since he's very philanthropic.
Old May 12, 2024, 11:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by frappant
As noted, he's leaving a ton of points and miles on the table, which he could donate, since he's very philanthropic.
How could he donate his points?

Since he's probably not clearing more than ~200k miles per year, how would he allocate any points he was permitted to donate? 3 one-way tickets between Boston and Dublin?
Old May 12, 2024, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Nobody said he or anyone else can't choose coach, though if it were up to some people, there would only be one class of cabins.

I posted this because I thought it might be of interest, since he's a famous travel author who has a completely different POV on international flying compared to FT members.

It just strikes me as a ridiculous approach. Putting aside the possibility of upgrades to a premium cabin, having status would entitle him to a more comfortable Coach seat (e.g., "Main Cabin Extra" on AA) for the same money as a regular Coach seat. I don't know how tall Steves is, but for me, those few extra inches of seat pitch make a big difference in terms of comfort.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by guv1976; May 12, 2024 at 1:37 pm
Old May 12, 2024, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
It just strikes me as a ridiculous approach. Putting aside the possibility of upgrades to a premium cabin, having status would entitle him to a more comfortable Coach seat (e.g., "Main Cabin Extra" on AA) for the same money as a regular Coach seat. I don't know how tall Steves is, but for me, those few extra inches of seat pitch make a big difference in terms of comfort to me.
He's using his megaphone to voice his opinion about his dislike for the system. Getting that word out is seemingly more important to him than being given extra comforts during his travels.
SPN Lifer and sushanna1 like this.
Old May 12, 2024, 1:30 pm

<snip>As noted, he's leaving a ton of points and miles on the table, which he could donate, since he's very philanthropic.
I really don't see how that is any of our concern. If he doesn't want to with the hassle of these programs he is not required to do so regardless of what any of us think.

Furthermore, I'd be willing to bet that Rick Steves is far more philanthropic, with his actual money, than most of the folks participating in this thread. Perhaps he is content with his level of philanthropy.

Regards
SPN Lifer and AJNEDC like this.
Old May 12, 2024, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
It just strikes me as a ridiculous approach. Putting aside the possibility of upgrades to a premium cabin, having status would entitle him to a more comfortable Coach seat (e.g., "Main Cabin Extra" on AA) for the same money as a regular Coach seat. I don't know how tall Steves is, but for me, those few extra inches of seat pitch make a big difference in terms of comfort to me.
Again, millions (tens of millions?) of "tall people" travel all around the world, all day, every single day of the year, for decades and decades, in coach. They survive just fine. It's not my style for sure, but I don't see the point in throwing rocks at the personal choices someone else makes.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest he probably does not lose a lot of sleep worrying about whether anonymous people on the internet agree with his approach. In fact, since he spends much of his life actually building things (e.g. writing books, filming TV shows, growing his business, etc.) he might think that those of us that spend all day, every day, posting on Flyertalk have a "ridiculous approach" as well.

There is more than one road to Dublin, yours isn't the only one.

Regards
SPN Lifer and AJNEDC like this.
Old May 12, 2024, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by scubadu
Again, millions (tens of millions?) of "tall people" travel all around the world, all day, every single day of the year, for decades and decades, in coach. They survive just fine. It's not my style for sure, but I don't see the point in throwing rocks at the personal choices someone else makes.
Decades and decades ago, the seat pitch in domestic Coach on the major U.S. carriers was not the measly 31" (or even 30", in some cases) that it is today. I'm sure that there are plenty of people who can still be comfortable in today's standard Coach seat for a long flight, and maybe Steves is one of them. All I know is, I ain't.
Artpen100 likes this.
Old May 12, 2024, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by frappant (Post # 17)
Originally Posted by moondog (Post # 18)
How could he donate his points?

Since he's probably not clearing more than ~200k miles per year, how would he allocate any points he was permitted to donate? 3 one-way tickets between Boston and Dublin?
Many carriers allow points or miles to be donated directly to specified charitable organizations. No ticket redemption required.

As stated upthread, the value of his actual monetary donations likely far exceeds whatever value could be attributed to points or miles forgone through his principled stand.
Old May 14, 2024, 1:05 pm

We are going on our sixth Rick Steves trip this summer. The trips certainly dont have you avoid comfort or luxury. I think Rick has firm ideas of things he agrees with and stands on his principles, whether or not some of us think those are silly, thats more than most people do. Personally, Im happy to participate in certain frequent flyer programs, getting free tickets and upgrades. Its a waste not to do so. But I doubt Im as wealthy as Rick, so I dont throw away money.
gaobest likes this.
Old May 15, 2024, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Also in the 90s when bill gates was just extremely wealthy instead of being ultra-extremely wealthy, he flew commercial economy until his company got a jet to avoid flight delays. I read about this in 1999 in Burn Rate book.

I know really rich people who fly Y. I don’t get it. They’re not rich because they save money by flying Y. My dead German friend died at age 53 with millions. A few years before his death, he told me about an awful trip flying Germany to China with Alitalia in economy - to look at a $25M machine that he was considering for work and how the German manufacturer suggested that he see it in action with the one client willing to show it. So yes, many rich people don’t fly F and don’t bother with the points & status. I don’t get it although I think my parents didn’t start status etc until the 1980s so their trips the previous decades lacked status help. They even avoided buying an admirals club lifetime membership.
Old May 15, 2024, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by gaobest
I know really rich people who fly Y. I dont get it. Theyre not rich because they save money by flying Y.
In the case of uncle who flies Y, it really comes down to an austere approach to money almost across the board (I wasn't going to include "almost", but then I thought about his wine cellar...).
SPN Lifer and gaobest like this.
Old May 15, 2024, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by gaobest (Post # 26)
So yes, many rich people dont fly F and dont bother with the points & status. I dont get it although I think my parents didnt start status etc until the 1980s so their trips the previous decades lacked status help. They even avoided buying an admirals club lifetime membership.
The first frequent flyer program was started by AA in 1981.

I have a lifetime Admirals Club membership and hardly use it. Hindsight is 20/20.

Thrift is a virtue, and can become a habit -- regardless of increased net worth. Indeed, that attitude probably helped achieve or retain their wealth.
Old May 16, 2024, 10:25 am

Programs: The usual suspects
My mother always said "The coach seat passenger arrives at the same time as a first class passenger" and she chose to use her money at the destination, especially spoiling her children and grandchildren, rather than more expensive plane tickets.

She'd traveled the globe extensively as a military officer's wife, but when it came to retirement it was just domestic trips several times a year and international trips maybe once a decade. She never bothered with airline "loyalty" or points and she probably traveled by air much more than the average American. Rick Steves tends to serve those travelers rather than very frequent flyers and he sticks with his personal philosophy.
SPN Lifer and gaobest like this.
Old May 16, 2024, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus
I bet plenty of Rick Steve’s’ customers and fans are members of FF programs.
SPN Lifer, DenverBrian and gaobest like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.