Reload this Page >

Destinations that are inexpensive and cheap to get to

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Destinations that are inexpensive and cheap to get to

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2024, 1:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I’ve actually seen 15k on AF OW from ATL and a bit more like 20k from an extra domestic leg. Paris isn’t cheap but the countryside could be more budget friendly.
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by xooz
If coach travel is OK, check Virgin Atlantic miles options.If you have/acquire Amex, Citi, or Chase points, they will transfer to VS. VS flies from MIA,MCO,and TPA direct to London.
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I’ve actually seen 15k on AF OW from ATL and a bit more like 20k from an extra domestic leg. Paris isn’t cheap but the countryside could be more budget friendly.
A lot of foreign FFPs will collect a cash carrier surcharge on award redemptions. So what you save in miles, you might end up paying for in cash.

Redemptions with AAdvantage miles have no carrier surcharges, except for travel on BA (high for long-haul flights, low for short-haul flights), and IB (moderate for long-haul flights, low for short-haul flights). If the OP can get an AA trans-Atlantic flight -- with or without a connection to BA or IB in Europe -- his cash outlay should be relatively low.
SPN Lifer and pbiflyer like this.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 4:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by guv1976
A lot of foreign FFPs will collect a cash carrier surcharge on award redemptions. So what you save in miles, you might end up paying for in cash.

Redemptions with AAdvantage miles have no carrier surcharges, except for travel on BA (high for long-haul flights, low for short-haul flights), and IB (moderate for long-haul flights, low for short-haul flights). If the OP can get an AA trans-Atlantic flight -- with or without a connection to BA or IB in Europe -- his cash outlay should be relatively low.
October AF ATL-PAR or MIA-PAR in economy is 20k + $65. Not too bad.
moondog likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I thought the “only” big money taxes for award redemptions was with LHR.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
October AF ATL-PAR or MIA-PAR in economy is 20k + $65. Not too bad.
And I have free lodging in Provence ! Well, pretty sure I’d have to stock their wine cabinet, so cheap lodging anyway! Train to Avignon is east from CDG. I like it.
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
And I have free lodging in Provence ! Well, pretty sure I’d have to stock their wine cabinet, so cheap lodging anyway! Train to Avignon is east from CDG. I like it.
Yay! We spend a lot of time in Nice and often take the train from CDG. Avignon is lovely and so many things to see nearby. Stroke of luck you have lodging there!
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 1:27 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
Am I missing some? Some trick? The other option is small towns in the easier to get to places. That may be an option.
Suggestions? Ideas?
Consider signing up for — and subscribing to — a service which specializes in sending inexpensive airfare alerts to you via e-mail messages.

Atlanta is not an easy airport from which to procure inexpensive airfares; but I recently scored a round-trip ticket to Athens for a total of $481.90including all taxes and fees — and not on a budget ultra-low-cost carrier...
SPN Lifer and Stgermainparis like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.