Wiki Posts
Search

Flying with blocked ears

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2015, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Flying with blocked ears

Hi all,

I am due to fly in 11 days time. I currently have blocked ears, like when I swallow or open my mouth they crackle/crunch not sure how else to explain. I'm worried about flying as I have quite bad tinnitus already. Am I safe to fly? As I've heard people say never fly with blocked ears, but I've bought ear planes and I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do to help?

Are burst ear drums very common on flights?

Thanks.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 11:48 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by geg1992
Am I safe to fly?
Sounds like you should make an appointment with a doctor and have them take a look.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 11:49 am

Programs: 2015 kettle
Flying with blocked ears

See the doc if you're concerned.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

I plan to on Wednesday I'm just gutted as I've been looking forward to this and spent a lot of money, to cancel it would be horrible.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Flying with blocked ears

Go hit a minute clinic or something similar. I had this three weeks ago and after I flew I was blocked for a day until I got some stuff to clear me up. Not worth it to try and gut it out without anything.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

See a doc!

If your ears can't equalize pressure you can have a ruptured ear drum from flying.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 3:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold
Flying with blocked ears

See a doctor - sounds like fluid in your ear from a cold or infection that they would give antibiotics for to drain and release pressure. It's something I think the local minute clinic or nurse practitioner can write a script for
Old Sep 20, 2015, 3:36 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
It might just be wax build up. If that is the case, the doc can clean them out quite easily.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 4:36 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Welcome to FT. As everyone has said and what you plan to do - see your doc. Hopefully and ENT. You will probably be fine.

FWIW Years ago I had the same issue. The doc gave me a decongestant in the office, I waited 30 minutes, after that he stuck a tube up my nose, pinched it, then had me say the letter K over and over while he blew air into my sinuses. My ear cracked and cracked but that relieved the pressure.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 5:05 pm

Why are they blocked. If its a cold, you're talking about 11 days away. There are decongestants you can use to clear them up . See an MD
Old Sep 20, 2015, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Flying with blocked ears

Or get a netti pot
Old Sep 20, 2015, 8:19 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
After the doc/ clinic fix your ears.....do carry and. Hew gum during climb out and descent. Although do not bring a pack of gum if going to Singapore !
Old Sep 21, 2015, 5:26 am

Programs: BA Gold
I had a similar problem coming back from RAR (I got water stuck in my left ear from too much snorkling). It was annoying, the journey home very long but I wasn't in any pain. The GP sorted it out once I got home.

H
Old Sep 21, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Do go to your doctor.

I was a little congested and flew last week. I didn't even know my ears were blocked but I was in so much pain in my ears when my two flights started decent, I almost cried. It sucked. I talked to my doctor when I was back and turned out it was indeed congestion and the pain could had been easily prevented.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 3:48 pm

There have been a few posts on FT about medical things.

go see a doctor, not a website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.