Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Forgetting items in a hotel room: do they ever get returned???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Forgetting items in a hotel room: do they ever get returned???

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2024, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Stayed at IHG in CT with mommy. She fills up all the drawers - I said I never unpack because I'm afraid of losing things!

We get home. My PJs are still in CT. The front desk lady was very nice and agreed to mail them if we paid postage I think. They never show up. Turns out, they went to my old address in CA. So my ex had to reship them to ME. So the postage was definitely more than the cost of the PJs. And no they did not have sentimental value.

But most importantly, I was right!!!
Old Feb 16, 2024, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Diamond
I know the thread is about hotel rooms - I have not had good luck getting things back from them but have had pretty good luck on planes. Years ago on a business trip to Sacramento, the airline contacted me to tell me I had left my iPad on the plane. I guess my cell # or email addy had been evident on the iPad (don't remember particulars). Years later on a flight to Italy via London, I realized I left my Bose noise-cancelling headphones on the 1st flight. I had a rudimentary cell phone that I used for overseas travel, once in Italy I used it to call a BA "lost and found" number I found on their website - got a real person right away - gave them my info and they had the headphones! I was truly amazed. When I got back to London (2 weeks from then) I took the Tube out to LHR and called the airline to arrange a pickup spot - and yes I got them back!

Just last month Mr. Squiddz left his tablet on a China Airlines flight to Taipei (where he changed to get to BKK) - with the language barrier he was not confident that he could communicate what happened - but on his layover he did so and the airline was able to get his tablet to him before he boarded the BKK flight. Bravo!
Old Feb 16, 2024, 4:55 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I lost a my Mac charger in a hotel and never got it back. I called the next day.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I once left a sweater in a drawer at a Hyatt in San Francisco. I called them once I had already arrived at home and noticed it. They confirmed they had it and asked if I wanted it sent to me. Since I was going to be back at the same hotel a week or two later (it was one of our approved SF hotels) I asked if they wouldn't mind holding onto it and I'd get it when I returned.

When I did return, it had been dry cleaned, folded nicely, and left on the bed - along with a bottle of wine and a lovely note from the manager.

Now that's what I call good service!
theshaun, Miesque and willoL like this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 9:36 pm

When I was an overseas student in Sydney Australia, I left a shopping bag on top of Hungry Jack's counter table, went to my apartment, just realized when I arrived there, went back, 30-40 minutes has passed, the bag was still there. This is a very crowded place in downtown. I also left my wallet on a bus at night, reported to the police office in the morning, got called back from another police office in nearby suburb, All the cash is still there.

In US, leave several items. All gone. I drop my wallet in CVS, realized it 10 minutes later, wallet was returned to the CVS clerk, cash is gone while all my ID still there.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 1:58 pm

I recently left my AirPod Pros at a 5* Hotel in Berlin. My German friend I was with called the hotel for me Concierge sent someone to the room but didn’t find them - my friend then told the Concierge we had tracked them on the find my app and they were definitely there and in fact one was out of the case. To his credit he personally went to the room located them and called me back.
I paid the postage but they sent the tracking details to me the same day.
Have to say was very impressed with the service and the tracking on the find me app is amazing compared to DHL!
Old Apr 1, 2024, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by Taikucing
In US, leave several items. All gone. I drop my wallet in CVS, realized it 10 minutes later, wallet was returned to the CVS clerk, cash is gone while all my ID still there.
One of the dumber things I've ever done was leave my wallet on top of my car while getting gas, then driving a couple of miles to the beach. I went back and found my wallet in the middle of the street! Luckily everything was still there.

-J.
SPN Lifer and Davvidd like this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 11:38 pm

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
Miss Yerbooty, at the tender age of 9, once forgot her stuffed animal at a very small hotel in Porec, Croatia. We only found out when we had driven across Slovenia, Austria and were well into Germany. Called the hotel, who said they’d found it and was worried about it being away from its owner. They sent it to our home by mail, free of charge.

I forgot a carton of ciggies in the overhead once, which to the surprise of nobody had gone walkies and was nowhere to be found.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 11:52 pm

I've left a few things in hotels over the years and not once has something made its way back to me... most recently was my AirPods! I could see on Find My that they were still at the hotel, but went walkabout shortly after. Either a hotel staffer or (more likely) the next guest was able to enjoy them I suppose...
Old Apr 5, 2024, 2:11 am

My husband left his hearing aids in a hotel room, not an inexpensive item. Lucky he realised before we'd left the hotel and we went back to the reception desk and they immediately took him back to the room. When he got to the room houskeeping had found them and had them on their cart to hand in. Phew!
Old Apr 5, 2024, 8:10 am

My daughter lost her favorite nighttime toy, a Puffalump which is a small white quilted doll, at a hotel. She realized it was missing after we had driven about an hour so we turned around and went back to the hotel. The room had been cleaned and no puffalump reported. About 3 months later I got an email from the hotel, Puffy had been found so we were able to organize his safe return.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 7:08 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I lost a back pack in BKK in a mall with my passport but no money and it was left at the security counter in case I came back to pick it up.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 7:05 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Left
- sweater on seat in JNB airport, picked up from LP
- wife’s sweater on Vietnam airways flight, airline flew it back to SYD where I could pick up
- computer under seat on SK flight, FA ran after me and handed it luggage carousel
- wife’s earrings in KUL airport hotel, posted back
- low cost Disneyland blanket kept by HKG Conrad, dry cleaned and return on next stay 18 months later
- passport wallet left on chair pre checkin at CPH airport, handed in to information counter
- iPhone left in London Indian, worked with colleague to get it posted back
- passport left on BA plane at bussing gate, driver drove back to pick up.

earbuds, headphones just seem to be fair game.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 9:35 am

Programs: Travel Agent for Four Seasons Preferred program, Marriott Stars, Hyatt Prive, Rosewood Elite
A phone charger plugged behind the desk, 4 already and counting...
Old Apr 13, 2024, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Whoops. I had picked up two USB-C to USB-A adapters for my last trip for the sole reason of having an extra in case I lost one, and I chose the particular products I bought because they are very small.

I left one in my rental car and the other in the hotel at my training center. They will never be seen again. Not going to even bother calling the hotel or Avis.

$3 down the drain and two more on the way here.

-J.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.