Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weighing luggage back to the US?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2024, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Weighing luggage back to the US?

About to start flying to UK and Germany for work - usually week long trips. I pack light but my total carry (not counting personal item) is at least 20 pounds. I also have a notable amount of tech with batteries that can’t be checked. How often are bags being weighed and gate checked at these areas?
Old Jan 10, 2024, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SBop
About to start flying to UK and Germany for work - usually week long trips. I pack light but my total carry (not counting personal item) is at least 20 pounds. I also have a notable amount of tech with batteries that can’t be checked. How often are bags being weighed and gate checked at these areas?
What do you mean by "tech with batteries"?
Old Jan 10, 2024, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Lithium ion.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Fly BA. You're allowed as much weight in carryon as checked. More weight than I've checked for any single trip in years.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 10:04 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
If it's the flight from UK/DE to the US, just fly any of the US flag carriers. They won't care.

It's really only if you have intra-Europe trips where you may have a problem. It's not been an issue for me since I have a smaller international-size suitcase which meets the exterior dimension guidelines for most mainline Euro carriers. They may be weighed if you are flying on small regional jets, depending on the carrier.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SBop
Lithium ion.
So, batteries that aren't in devices? Powerbanks also can't go in checked luggage.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
If it's the flight from UK/DE to the US, just fly any of the US flag carriers. They won't care.

It's really only if you have intra-Europe trips where you may have a problem. It's not been an issue for me since I have a smaller international-size suitcase which meets the exterior dimension guidelines for most mainline Euro carriers. They may be weighed if you are flying on small regional jets, depending on the carrier.
Good to know. Some of the flights may be KLM but I won’t really being flying intra-Europe.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 6:09 am

Programs: *G
Ive only seen active size and weight checking with low cost carriers, and landside VIE airport with the LH/LX/OS group

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.