Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What are some cities that airline employees NEVER pronounce correctly?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are some cities that airline employees NEVER pronounce correctly?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2023, 1:15 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
Fair enough. Half of my family (on my mother's side) is from there, mostly in the southeast quadrant (Pearland, Pasadena, etc) and they and their friends do. That part of the family has lived in that area since at least the 1930s - mom was born there.

But you are probably right. Sorry for sharing my experience.
I mean, I was just sharing mine as I was surprised to see your data point. To me, "YOU stun" doesn't sound "Texan" necessarily. Frankly, that sounds like more of a Northeastern way of pronouncing it (if I didn't know that Houston in NYC is actually "HOUSE ton"). I haven't interacted with many Cajun folks, so perhaps that's where the pronunciation comes from? Most of my friends in Houston are either ethnically Hispanic, Asian (South and East), or European / White (however you want to describe it), and I have always heard "HEW stun" and was always taught in school in Texas about Sam "HEW stun" (yes, in Texas, you spend an entire year of History learning Texas History - for me, it was 7th grade). It could be that your family has just kept up with a more niche way of saying things as more interconnected communications, media, and immigration have led to pronunciation standardization.

This does remind of my dearly beloved Texas-born grandmother who always pronounced San Antonio as "San An TONE" - it always made the whole family chuckle - perhaps, that's why she kept it up :-)
TGarza likes this.

Last edited by ElevatorEnthusiast; Jul 22, 2023 at 3:53 pm
Old May 30, 2023, 7:28 am

Programs: BA Silver
That's interesting, I had always associated the pronunciation HEW with English speakers from the U.K., while in my head at least, hearing Americans pronounce it as HOO.

Anyway, no international airports here, but for fun, some of the place names near me regularly get mangled, such as Milngavie (pronounced MULL-GUY), and Strathaven (STRAYVEN).
Old May 30, 2023, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
I believe it's Dallas/Foat Wuth.
Old May 31, 2023, 1:33 pm

Programs: Delta PM
FLL - Official name is Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airport at Dania Beach. They never call it that!
Ldnn1 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
BOI = Boy see ≠ Boy zee
Old Jun 4, 2023, 11:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Often, the English pronunciations of foreign cities/countries are different than the pronunciations in native languages. This does NOT render them "incorrect". In fact, I find it pretentious when speakers insert Chinese pronunciations of Beijing or Shanghai (with tones, and all) into English sentences.
fastflyer and strickerj like this.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by moondog
Often, the English pronunciations … are different than the pronunciations in native languages. This does NOT render them "incorrect". In fact, I find it pretentious when speakers insert … pronunciations (with tones, and all) into English sentences.
significantly OT, but I find it particularly egregious when TV soccer announcers — particularly British and American — use *what they think* is the appropriate pronunciation of a player’s name, and it’s often nowhere close to how the individual actually says it
Davvidd likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Often, the English pronunciations of foreign cities/countries are different than the pronunciations in native languages. This does NOT render them "incorrect". In fact, I find it pretentious when speakers insert Chinese pronunciations of Beijing or Shanghai (with tones, and all) into English sentences.
Exactly. Some of the names of cities south of the US border come across as highly pretentious when pronounced natively in the middle, for example, of the nightly US news broadcast. "San Salvador" seems straightforward, but with a significant Spanish accent it is almost unrecognizable. English speakers say 'Pair- is, not Pahr-ee. Sometimes the English word for a city name is spelled differently than by the home tongue: "Nuremberg" or "Moscow"

If the old name has fallen out of favor ("Peking" or "Calcutta"), there should be at least a lifetime of leeway for those who only knew the once-correct old city name in English.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by jrl767
significantly OT, but I find it particularly egregious when TV soccer announcers — particularly British and American — use *what they think* is the appropriate pronunciation of a player’s name, and it’s often nowhere close to how the individual actually says it
Methinks this post is tainted with wine denouement. That said, greetings from Lah Gwa Dya.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by fastflyer
English speakers say 'Pair- is, not Pahr-ee.
They say neither of these if they are UK educated.
SPN Lifer and DIRECT MERIT like this.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 3:09 am

About 10-15 years ago KLM opened a short-lived route from AMS for Kyushu, Japan.
We started our journey from NWI (Norwich) and the young GA had clearly not encountered our final destination before and was having a struggle to pronounce Fukuoka in a non-embarrassing way.
I did come to her rescue by pronouncing it Foo-ku-oka (the accepted way) for which she seemed quite relieved.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 3:13 am

How would you pronounce Shanghai in Wu?
Old Aug 5, 2023, 4:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FindingFoodFluency
How would you pronounce Shanghai in Wu?
The first syllable is a rising tone that is much closer to "sang" than "shang" (neither uses a nasal soft "a").

The second syllable is similar to "hi", but can have a hint of hard "a". It uses a falling tone, which is more exaggerated when followed by other non-falling syllables (e.g. 上海人). I've never studied that stuff in textbooks btw, and am not sure if they even exist/ed. So, what you're getting is an outside observer's attempt to describe it.

Last edited by moondog; Aug 5, 2023 at 4:42 am
Old Aug 5, 2023, 10:06 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Have a look at the Ghanian comedian Akwasi Boadi reading out the football/soccer scores on YouTube.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by joejones
Most non-Japanese pronounce "Haneda" and "Narita" incorrectly. The stress is supposed to be on the first syllable (not the second) and the "r" is supposed to be rolled a little (somewhat like trilling an "r" in Spanish).

"Osaka" should also have stress on the first syllable, whether you are talking about the city or the tennis player.
One time I had a ticket from Texas with connections eventually ending in Fukuoka (FUK). When confirming the destination of my checked bags, the check-in agent in Texas didn't even attempt to pronounce it.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.