For consultants/contractors

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

For consultants/contractors

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2023, 11:07 am
Suspended

I have bought a first class ticket for a business trip. But first class was exactly the same price as coach. I made sure to keep the screen shot showing that prices were identical.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which large consultancies and at what level currently have, "Large consultancies generally require business/first class tickets for flights over 4 hours (or even 3 at times) for client work" as a standard policy? Are we talking drones or partners, or something in between. International or Domestic. I can tell you that NONE of the current consultancies currently has such a policy for lower level consultants for domestic travel in the United States, or to put it another way, no client would ever agree to this currently. Specialized person? Perhaps. Partner? Surely. This is not 2007.
GUWonder and Adam1222 like this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 12:45 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Diamond. Skyteam Elite Plus. Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Tell your client that your travel policy is FC
Old Apr 28, 2023, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
This is the perfect time to buy fully refundable Y tickets and use the cheapest mileage/ upgrade coupon to upgrade (after printing the receipt showing the Y fare for reimbursement). This is a reasonable solution, as you have a refundable ticket in economy, yet it is a fairly easily confirmed upgrade -- at your own cost (miles, coupons, cash) -- to business class.

I would also stay at a full-service hotel but not a luxury brand. So no Ritz Carlton, Waldorf, nor Four Seasons, but JW Marriott, Hyatt, Conrad by Hilton are OK.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
one more vote for being proactive and respectful of the client

do some research ahead of time, and present options that identify costs for the *entire* trip, for instance:
  1. Airfare (F/J airfare, premium, coach)
  2. Lodging (full-service, mid-tier)
  3. Rental car (high-end, full-size, intermediate, compact/economy) or Uber/Lyft (as many trips as necessary: airport to hotel, hotel to/from client site each day, hotel to airport)
explicitly say “I intend to bill you for $xxx which covers < nominal airfare / hotel / ground transportation >; upgrades for airfare, hotel, car, etc are out of my pocket and are not billable”
GoBob likes this.
Old May 1, 2023, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agree with all the good common sense advice here.

I would just ask your client. “Many of my clients stipulate first class for flight over a certain length. Is that an option for me, or should I book coach?”

But it depends on your situation. If you think that would be rocking the boat then there’s your answer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.