Wiki Posts
Search

Quick rant about "preferred" seats.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2023, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Quick rant about "preferred" seats.

Carrier agnostic and fly 4-5 RT per year, usually on OPM where I don't get a choice. On all three major US carriers in the last few months I've noticed that the depth of the "preferred" window and aisle seats has been going back further, as has the cost of those assignments. I booked a four segment DL itinerary last night and in order to not be in the last three available rows, it would cost me $100 to have a window or aisle. Moving up to C+ was $110. Same thing with AA, had to pay $29 OOP to select a "preferred" seat just so I didn't have a middle. I can somewhat understand the first couple rows, but when more than half of your Y seats are "preferred" are they really preferred or are they just not hated?
Old Mar 30, 2023, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
imo just another way of "enhancing" each carrier's program for their members and elites by nickel-and-diming those without membership or status

it's a major downside of being a "free agent"
Old Mar 30, 2023, 9:55 am

I've noticed this as well with other airlines under star alliance & the other major airline carrier in CAN. It's not really preferred seating to me and just a squeeze to get an extra penny out of you for YOUR preferred seats.
I did notice it was also dependent on my ticket choice as well.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
If you don’t want to pay, maybe accepting and even embracing the middle seat is best. I love to think of the Seinfeld episode where Putty is sitting in a middle seat without needing a thing. Elaine asks if he wants a magazine, book, something and he simply responds that he’s fine. As we see, tons of people sit in the middle seat towards the back of the plane and they’re fine. When I fly with my family in Y I’ll take the middle seat instead of doing aisle-aisle-window. By taking the middle I’ll get to sit inbetween my spouse and child. My spouse and I can hold hands and my child can try to separate our hands which might mean that I’ll hold hands with my child and that’ll be pretty great for me.
trooper likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 6:47 am

Programs: AC
It started with charging for bulkhead and exit row seating. Now windows and aisles. I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing prices for the quieter areas of the cabin...
moondog likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton and regular member of everything else
They will charge for everything that they can. I would much rather fares be higher than nickel and diming everywhere. Give it a few years and they'll start charging for seating at the gate.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by EAJuggalo
Carrier agnostic and fly 4-5 RT per year, usually on OPM where I don't get a choice. On all three major US carriers in the last few months I've noticed that the depth of the "preferred" window and aisle seats has been going back further, as has the cost of those assignments. I booked a four segment DL itinerary last night and in order to not be in the last three available rows, it would cost me $100 to have a window or aisle. Moving up to C+ was $110. Same thing with AA, had to pay $29 OOP to select a "preferred" seat just so I didn't have a middle. I can somewhat understand the first couple rows, but when more than half of your Y seats are "preferred" are they really preferred or are they just not hated?
They aren't, but they will eventually start getting renamed "premium" and the whole cycle will start again. How to resolve this? Vote with your wallet. There will always be airlines who will see the benefits of not charging (as much) or offering something that the others do. Pick those airline(s) and promote those airlines where possible (eg, it doesn't really make sense to promote Jet Blue when you're at a United hub and don't have the breadth of destinations to go to).
moondog likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 1:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm somewhat disheartened by my observation that the masses are starting to regard the idea of paying to not get stuck in a middle as "normal".
lavedder likes this.

Last edited by moondog; Apr 5, 2023 at 6:50 pm
Old Apr 3, 2023, 8:06 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by jrl767
imo just another way of "enhancing" each carrier's program for their members and elites by nickel-and-diming those without membership or status

it's a major downside of being a "free agent"
That's what I think is really going on here. They are reserving a big chunk of the non terrible seats for members of the carrier's frequent flyer program that buy tickets close up to the departure date. They aren't offering those buy up prices because they expect people to pay them (though I'm sure they are very happy if you do). They are using them to keep those seats empty without formally blocking them off.
LarryJ, Artpen100 and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 12:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Wait until you hear about hotel "premium" upgrades where the only difference is "not next to the elevator or the ice machine."
Old Apr 3, 2023, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
With the constant devaluations of elite status at the major airlines, this is one place where they still throw us a bone - free seat selection and priority boarding. Depending on how much I fly, low-level elite status in a different alliance is still sometimes beneficial just for this reason.
Artpen100 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton and regular member of everything else
Originally Posted by moondog
I'm somewhat disheartened by my observation that the masses are starting to regard the idea of paying not get stuck in a middle is "normal".
yup. After bag fees were accepted by everyone, the floodgates were opened. They will not stop until people refuse to pay extra for something that used to be free, but that’ll never happen. There will always be people who will pay extra for that minor convenience.
moondog likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
Wait until you hear about hotel "premium" upgrades where the only difference is "not next to the elevator or the ice machine."
​​​​​ I'm waiting for a resort fee that just means "room key included at no additional charge."
moondog, corky and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 11:48 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by gaobest
I love to think of the Seinfeld episode where Putty is sitting in a middle seat without needing a thing. Elaine asks if he wants a magazine, book, something and he simply responds that he’s fine.
Alright, I'm going to challenge your Seinfeld recollection here In the episode you cite, Puddy (yep, it's Puddy NOT Putty) is in the aisle seat. Remember, he starts "making time with the floozy across the aisle" because he has to "get on with his life" while Elaine (in the middle seat) is talking to "Vegetable Lasagna??" Puddy starring into the back of the seat is 100% accurate.. but it's the back of the aisle seat. This is the trip "Backwards Episode" that is the India trip.

corky likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2023, 12:57 pm

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
One airline, I forgot which, used to give coach middle seats a slight advantage without a different price. You boarded before those in coach aisle seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.