Being called Mr. Steve

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Being called Mr. Steve

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2023, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President Circle.
Being called Mr. Steve

Traveling the country for business, I've noticed a new trend I don't care for. When checking in to flights or hotels, I'm constantly referred to as "Mr. Steve" instead of by my sir name. Has anyone else notice this and why is it happening? Is it a generation thing or something else?

Last edited by Steve H.; Dec 19, 2023 at 5:57 pm
Old Mar 13, 2023, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Steve H.
Traveling the country for business, I've noticed a new trend I don't care for. When checking in to flights or hotels, I'm constantly referred to as "Mr. Steve" instead of buy my sir name. Has anyone else notice this and why is it happening? Is it a generation thing or something else?
So, you want them to call you Sir Steve?

It’s very common in Asia. Less so, in other countries.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President Circle.
Smile Not quite.

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
So, you want them to call you Sir Steve?

It’s very common in Asia. Less so, in other countries.
No. My lord would do nicely. Seriously though, This is happening here in the states by non-Asians.
lsquare, M60_to_LGA and strickerj like this.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
I have a relatively difficult last name, and am often called Mr. GW (well, my real first name). I don't love it but at this point I've heard a million variations/modifications of my last name, so I just roll with it.

-J.
becks1 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 10:16 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
On cruise ships, specifically, Asian crew members usually address me as Mr. Firstname, occasionally as Sir Firstname. My surname is a difficult one and I don't know whether they address most passengers this way.
JasYHZ likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I notice Hispanic and Asian people call me Mr. Ian
Old Mar 13, 2023, 11:54 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
The OP's location is listed as BOS. Very different cultures, in this regard, between the northeast and the south. In the south, it is very common for children to address adults as Mr./Mrs. firstname and this carries forward into adulthood. Mr./Mrs. lastname would sound very formal to southerners. I spent ten years in Texas, after my first 13 years in the northeast, and Mr./Mrs. firstname sounds completely normal and respectful to me.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I haven't noticed any changes in the U.S. I have noticed it when I work in India or Southeast Asia but it does not bother me.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 1:41 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
This is becoming very common in the States, IME. I can't stand it. It makes me feel like I'm being addressed by a 5yo in the Sunday School class I teach. Call me either Cat or Mr. Bert, but not Mr. Cat. That just grates on me.
M60_to_LGA and Steve H. like this.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 1:48 pm

I too am a Steve. But, life is too short to be concerned by such things. Neighbors' kids call me Mr. Steve. I also get called Mr. Steve quite a bit outside of the US and by call center reps, etc. I was just on a flight where I was being addressed as Mr. mylastname; I asked that the purser and the FA address me as Steve. I simply don't need the formality as I spent years with formalities.
awayIgo, Badenoch, becks1 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 2:49 pm

this is an odd thing to be upset about
Old Mar 13, 2023, 2:49 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
[QUOTE=LarryJ;35084305]The OP's location is listed as BOS. Very different cultures, in this regard, between the northeast and the south. QUOTE]

Also between New England and southern California. I worked in education, and in California students called me by my first name. When I moved back to the Boston area, students' parents scolded them for not calling me Mr. Lastname.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Catbert10
This is becoming very common in the States, IME. I can't stand it. It makes me feel like I'm being addressed by a 5yo in the Sunday School class I teach. Call me either Cat or Mr. Bert, but not Mr. Cat. That just grates on me.
In the mid-Atlantic, it's the norm where CDTraveler Jr. works. All his 3-7 yr old students address him as Mr. Firstname. It does help differentiate between teacher and students - he has a very common first name, and often has a student with the same first name in his classes.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 4:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Having done work in Asia and Africa I'm quite used to it but haven't encountered it in North America.

Last edited by Badenoch; Mar 13, 2023 at 5:07 pm
Old Mar 13, 2023, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Having done work in Asia and Africa I'm quite used to it but haven't not encountered it in North America.
Agreed and also maybe not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.