FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Being called Mr. Steve (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/2114933-being-called-mr-steve.html)

Steve H. Mar 13, 2023 7:16 am

Being called Mr. Steve

Traveling the country for business, I've noticed a new trend I don't care for. When checking in to flights or hotels, I'm constantly referred to as "Mr. Steve" instead of by my sir name. Has anyone else notice this and why is it happening? Is it a generation thing or something else?

Jaimito Cartero Mar 13, 2023 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Steve H. (Post 35083535)
Traveling the country for business, I've noticed a new trend I don't care for. When checking in to flights or hotels, I'm constantly referred to as "Mr. Steve" instead of buy my sir name. Has anyone else notice this and why is it happening? Is it a generation thing or something else?

So, you want them to call you Sir Steve? :)

It’s very common in Asia. Less so, in other countries.

Steve H. Mar 13, 2023 7:40 am

Not quite.

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero (Post 35083542)
So, you want them to call you Sir Steve? :)

It’s very common in Asia. Less so, in other countries.

No. My lord would do nicely. Seriously though, This is happening here in the states by non-Asians.

GW McLintock Mar 13, 2023 8:11 am

I have a relatively difficult last name, and am often called Mr. GW (well, my real first name). I don't love it but at this point I've heard a million variations/modifications of my last name, so I just roll with it.

-J.

kochleffel Mar 13, 2023 10:16 am

On cruise ships, specifically, Asian crew members usually address me as Mr. Firstname, occasionally as Sir Firstname. My surname is a difficult one and I don't know whether they address most passengers this way.

enviroian Mar 13, 2023 10:49 am

I notice Hispanic and Asian people call me Mr. Ian

LarryJ Mar 13, 2023 11:54 am

The OP's location is listed as BOS. Very different cultures, in this regard, between the northeast and the south. In the south, it is very common for children to address adults as Mr./Mrs. firstname and this carries forward into adulthood. Mr./Mrs. lastname would sound very formal to southerners. I spent ten years in Texas, after my first 13 years in the northeast, and Mr./Mrs. firstname sounds completely normal and respectful to me.

pinniped Mar 13, 2023 12:53 pm

I haven't noticed any changes in the U.S. I have noticed it when I work in India or Southeast Asia but it does not bother me.

Catbert10 Mar 13, 2023 1:41 pm

This is becoming very common in the States, IME. I can't stand it. It makes me feel like I'm being addressed by a 5yo in the Sunday School class I teach. Call me either Cat or Mr. Bert, but not Mr. Cat. That just grates on me.

lamphs Mar 13, 2023 1:48 pm

I too am a Steve. But, life is too short to be concerned by such things. Neighbors' kids call me Mr. Steve. I also get called Mr. Steve quite a bit outside of the US and by call center reps, etc. I was just on a flight where I was being addressed as Mr. mylastname; I asked that the purser and the FA address me as Steve. I simply don't need the formality as I spent years with formalities.

mfranzwa Mar 13, 2023 2:49 pm

this is an odd thing to be upset about

kochleffel Mar 13, 2023 2:49 pm

[QUOTE=LarryJ;35084305]The OP's location is listed as BOS. Very different cultures, in this regard, between the northeast and the south. QUOTE]

Also between New England and southern California. I worked in education, and in California students called me by my first name. When I moved back to the Boston area, students' parents scolded them for not calling me Mr. Lastname.

CDTraveler Mar 13, 2023 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Catbert10 (Post 35084580)
This is becoming very common in the States, IME. I can't stand it. It makes me feel like I'm being addressed by a 5yo in the Sunday School class I teach. Call me either Cat or Mr. Bert, but not Mr. Cat. That just grates on me.

In the mid-Atlantic, it's the norm where CDTraveler Jr. works. All his 3-7 yr old students address him as Mr. Firstname. It does help differentiate between teacher and students - he has a very common first name, and often has a student with the same first name in his classes.

Badenoch Mar 13, 2023 4:13 pm

Having done work in Asia and Africa I'm quite used to it but haven't encountered it in North America.

erik123 Mar 13, 2023 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Badenoch (Post 35084992)
Having done work in Asia and Africa I'm quite used to it but haven't not encountered it in North America.

Agreed and also maybe not.