Wiki Posts
Search

Ludicrous airfares to Europe this summer

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2023, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by gaobest
they’re high because they can be high. Perhaps this is the summer of the driving in USA? I absolutely refuse to pay such fares so the planes will fly without me. My spouse says that we are going to ORD in august and I’m thinking that I might not go because it’ll be overpriced and I don’t need to go to an oven. So my solution to high fares is to not fly for now.
Economics 101 at play here. I will be foregoing any EU travel this summer and most likely the rest of the year (except 2- UK trips for family visits).

Mileage trips to the EU are a million points in J, Hampton hotel equivalents are 350 euro, etc etc. These merchants are making a killing this year with covid revenge travel, however not at my expense. I'll resume my EU travels Q1 '24
Old Mar 17, 2023, 9:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by enviroian
Economics 101 at play here. I will be foregoing any EU travel this summer and most likely the rest of the year (except 2- UK trips for family visits).

Mileage trips to the EU are a million points in J, Hampton hotel equivalents are 350 euro, etc etc. These merchants are making a killing this year with covid revenge travel, however not at my expense. I'll resume my EU travels Q1 '24
I've got 2x RT to Europe this summer all in J. Found reasonable points redemptions for 2 for both, though I booked them months ago.
1x AF
1x BA
2x KL
gaobest likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by wakesetter93
I've got 2x RT to Europe this summer all in J. Found reasonable points redemptions for 2 for both, though I booked them months ago.
1x AF
1x BA
2x KL
Yeah, but that's what smart travel bloggers do.

David
wakesetter93 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by enviroian

this - nobody is forcing us to travel and pay these prices. There’s stuff to see in our own cities.

1x AF
1x BA
2x KL
Big kudos. Maybe you’ll finish the Vegas TR - yes I enjoyed it and I want to read more more more for your Vegas trip lol
SPN Lifer, enviroian and Badenoch like this.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 8:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Big kudos. Maybe you’ll finish the Vegas TR - yes I enjoyed it and I want to read more more more for your Vegas trip lol
Vegas TR is done, we're on to NYC now! Posted the first part today!
Old Mar 17, 2023, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Try Sydney to Europe. The business fare is now what the F used to be.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Vegas TR is done, we're on to NYC now! Posted the first part today!
I’m looking forward to reading it! Confirmed that Vegas is finished - I did wonder what you thought of DTF compared to dim sum you get in texas! I’ve not yet gone to dtf only because I have other dim sum options. All yum.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 10:15 pm

I’m looking forward to reading it! Confirmed that Vegas is finished - I did wonder what you thought of DTF compared to dim sum you get in texas! I’ve not yet gone to dtf only because I have other dim sum options. All yum.
DTF is very good, but we still prefer Red Farm in NYC!
gaobest likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well, we wound up paying $2600 each for premium economy ORD-ZRH-BCN on Swiss, then LHR-IAD-ORD on UA. Doing the open jaw vs round trip didn’t make much difference in the price. We will do a cheap one way from BOD-LON and spend a day or two in London visiting friends.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DTF is very good, but we still prefer Red Farm in NYC!
So fun!!

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Well, we wound up paying $2600 each for premium economy ORD-ZRH-BCN on Swiss, then LHR-IAD-ORD on UA. Doing the open jaw vs round trip didn’t make much difference in the price. We will do a cheap one way from BOD-LON and spend a day or two in London visiting friends.
That’s not so bad. I think that our premium economy Sfo/cdg in 2012 was $1200 each so $2600 now seems reasonable. It’s definitely less than the $4500 for P (discounted C) Sfo/Europe in 2013. That’s the last time we went to Europe (Sfo-fra-Firenze and ven-muc-Sfo).
Old Mar 20, 2023, 11:50 am

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton and regular member of everything else
I just got ORD-LHR PE tickets for $1200 RT in August on AA/BA. Fares are higher, but maybe your specific days are the issue.
Owenc likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by mlbcard
I just got ORD-LHR PE tickets for $1200 RT in August on AA/BA. Fares are higher, but maybe your specific days are the issue.
This. Open Jaw flights to/from specific cities on specific dates is always going to be pricey.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 8:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
I recently booked AA J MCO-LIS and LHR-MCO in July / August. The fare was $4k RT. PE was only about $500 less. For the peak of summer, I thought this was pretty reasonable.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 9:55 am

Programs: United MP
When does the season end? I’m looking for fares for end or September or early October. The fares so far seem to be at or above what we paid for last August.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 2:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
When does the season end? I’m looking for fares for end or September or early October. The fares so far seem to be at or above what we paid for last August.
That's usually after the summer peak. I've often found good fares - particularly for October - but haven't looked this year.

Fall sales haven't been advertised yet. I imagine there will be some sales in a couple months (for October travel) but whether it mirrors previous years, who knows. Post-covid pent-up demand is significant.
SPN Lifer and DeafFlyer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.