Annoying vloggers on flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Annoying vloggers on flights?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2024, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Davvidd
The Counsel for the National Photographers Association says it is not a public place like the sidewalk etc. It is more like a concert where the organizers can stop people taking pictures or videos. He also says most airlines have a small fine print in that they can stop you from doing so. The problem is that sometimes they enforce it and sometimes they do not.
In the USA, the airport IS a "public place", and you do have the right to take photographs (and video). The other people in that public place forfeit any expectation of privacy with regard to being seen or photographed when they choose to enter that public place.

The rules may be (and probably are) different in other countries, but it is very clear here.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 7:34 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
In the USA, the airport IS a "public place", and you do have the right to take photographs (and video). The other people in that public place forfeit any expectation of privacy with regard to being seen or photographed when they choose to enter that public place.

The rules may be (and probably are) different in other countries, but it is very clear here.
It is not the airport but inside and aircraft which he says is not a public place. If you read the fine print on board they say that taking photography without approval is not permitted.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 11:34 pm

It is not the airport but inside and aircraft which he says is not a public place. If you read the fine print on board they say that taking photography without approval is not permitted.

Where - precisely - do they keep this "fine print" on board the aircraft that you claim we are to read and abide by? I have been on almost 1,100 flights in the past 8 years and have never seen or been showed anything like that.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
The Counsel for the National Photographers Association says it is not a public place like the sidewalk etc. It is more like a concert where the organizers can stop people taking pictures or videos. He also says most airlines have a small fine print in that they can stop you from doing so. The problem is that sometimes they enforce it and sometimes they do not.
The National Photographers Association has no jurisdiction in an airport or onboard an aircraft It is up to the DOT, the FAA, and terminal/aircraft ownership and tenants (terminal operators, airlines, etc.).

-J.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 7:26 am

prohibits “unauthorized photography or video recording” of employees or other passengers. Most airlines have this and as I am no lawyer but according "to this retired judge , Unless it’s a legitimate safety issue like annoying other people, I don’t see a problem with taking photos on a plane. But that’s a call of the captain, and in the first instance the captain is right,” says Thomas Dickerson, a retired New York state judge and author of “Travel Law.”
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
prohibits “unauthorized photography or video recording” of employees or other passengers. Most airlines have this and as I am no lawyer but according "to this retired judge , Unless it’s a legitimate safety issue like annoying other people, I don’t see a problem with taking photos on a plane. But that’s a call of the captain, and in the first instance the captain is right,” says Thomas Dickerson, a retired New York state judge and author of “Travel Law.”
Again, this is a retired state judge so this could be considered layman's guidance at best. Airports and airlines generally operate under federal jurisdiction, though with airports the property owner may be a state agency (operating under and upholding Part 139 regulation). If I am missing something please enlighten me as I would genuinely like to know. Back in college I interned for a city airport agency and sure we had a few extra rules beyond Part 139 but that was up to us at an individual airport... or technically three airports since we operated three of them (though only one had airline service; the other two were GA only).

-J.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Again, this is a retired state judge so this could be considered layman's guidance at best. Airports and airlines generally operate under federal jurisdiction, though with airports the property owner may be a state agency (operating under and upholding Part 139 regulation). If I am missing something please enlighten me as I would genuinely like to know. Back in college I interned for a city airport agency and sure we had a few extra rules beyond Part 139 but that was up to us at an individual airport... or technically three airports since we operated three of them (though only one had airline service; the other two were GA only).

-J.
I am not American so I really do not know but from what I understand inside of an aircraft is private property and the First Amendment does not apply. I could be right or wrong but what I do know is the Captain has absolute powers and normally they do not bother about someone taking pics or videos but it is always advisable to stop doing something when the crew prohibits it.
It seems to be the catch all requirements of obeying the crews instruction. I know that some countries and specific airlines ban photography and videoing of crew and other passengers under the terms of conditions. Generally from what I know this becomes an issue only when they take pics of crew or other passengers without their permission.
Not sure if airport and an aircraft are the same. Certainly in some areas of an airport you are not allowed to take pics or videos even in the US. This may be the one they mostly use. 49 U.S.C. 46504.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Originally Posted by TWA884
American Airlines prohibits photographing its employees at/in “any airline area” including ticket counters, gates, cargo, baggage, and on-board its aircraft.
I'm surprised by this. Seem plenty of commercial YT videos of AA!
Old Mar 7, 2024, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by GodAtum
I'm surprised by this. Seem plenty of commercial YT videos of AA!
That is interesting as it can only apply in the US or in other countries too? What is an airline area? Inside an aircraft, I understand as it is private property. But in a gate or a public concourse?
Old Mar 8, 2024, 9:37 am

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
Originally Posted by GodAtum
Anyone here experienced sitting next to an annoying vlogger on a flight? I was sat next to one and he was chattering way into his camera ... worse then someone on a phone, plus he had a massive LED light attached to this camera shining everywhere. He also stuck a GoPro onto the window, blocked my view of takeoff and landing
I'm a bit flumoxed. I have never experienced this and I would be ticked off if the person was next to me. Having said that, I have used Youtube to look at a couple of these to get a sense of what to expect of some carriers. So while I can definitely see the annoyance factor, I guess I'm thankful I was not the one being annoyed at the time.

I did think of doing a trip report once, but 10 mins into it, I was over it.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 11:56 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Regardless of whether it's illegal to photograph or video record people at airports or on planes without their consent, it's just a crappy thing to do. I don't want pictures of me posted to social media without my consent, and I think many others feel the same way. If I end up getting strangers in my photos that I want to post online (which I only show to friends, never publicly), I always blur their faces.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 5:44 pm

For those of you who like those no-commentary vlogs, I realise I forgot this guy...

https://www.youtube.com/@IWillAlwaysTravelforFood

All his commentary is in text. I haven't watched him in a while (Youtube thought not to recommend him for some reason) but he's often pretty good about describing things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.