Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why are US airports so dated compared to those in Asia and Europe?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why are US airports so dated compared to those in Asia and Europe?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2023, 3:52 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Isn't it because the US Airports do not have International Transfer Connections? You would have to actually land in the US and then clear immigrations and customs before you take your connecting flight if you arrive on an International flight? While in other countries they also mostly cater for the airside transfer passengers who need a lot more facilities while they wait for their connections?
Old Jan 8, 2023, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

A few people have mentioned in this thread that duty free shops are pointless. I disagree. I just bought three bottles of gin from LHR and the cost was cheaper than what I can buy them for in the US. Sipsmith London Dry 750ml is $28.99 + TX sales tax from my local Total Wine. The duty free shop sold it for 25.09GBP (or about $30USD) and that was for a 1L bottle with no additional tax. Because I bought three bottles, I got a 10% price reduction.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 5:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by poisson
A few people have mentioned in this thread that duty free shops are pointless. I disagree. I just bought three bottles of gin from LHR and the cost was cheaper than what I can buy them for in the US. Sipsmith London Dry 750ml is $28.99 + TX sales tax from my local Total Wine. The duty free shop sold it for 25.09GBP (or about $30USD) and that was for a 1L bottle with no additional tax. Because I bought three bottles, I got a 10% price reduction.
No Costos near you?
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
And let's not forget good old corruption and graft in many regions of the country (hello, NY) - the same reason we can't build a new subway station for less than eleventy trillion dollars..
THIS needs to be emphasized. Google 'ATL airport corruption'. But it's not just ATL. Many (most?) US airports also have problems with this. Politicians see airports as piggy-banks and also feathers in their caps. They'll spend millions on a sports stadium which gets used for a whopping 8 home games a year, because it's very public and very visible...but the airport? Nah. Just collect the kickbacks and bribes.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 12:03 am

Just my humble opinion: It's cheaper to build it brand new than tearing it down then build it brand new.
Plus US labor cost is more than the cost in Asia.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 7:34 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Since the start of the year, EWR airport has opened a brand new A terminal, Kansas City has opened a brand new terminal which replaces all of the previous terminals, Nashville has opened a new main arrivals and departures hall re-linking the two halves of the airport post-security while construction continues.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
I hate the !@#$% perfume gauntlet in every !@#$% airport has one that I have had to traverse. So does my spouse. I am obviously not the target market as I have not bought anything in an airport other than some thing to drink and eat.
I actually kinda like the gauntlet. Smelling that smell always makes me feel like I'm off on an adventure.

Originally Posted by trooper
P.S. If you are NOT flying on QF, SYD International kinda sucks. All the other gates are a long walk.... AND you have to run the Duty free store marathon...
I just flew UA out of SYD and thought the airport was very nice. I also spent most of my time in the ANZ lounge...

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
That's why they're spending $1.3 billion to rebuild ORD T5. Been there lately?
Yeah, I flew out of T5 a couple weeks ago and was surprised that it still feels like an dumpy old terminal when the renovations were supposed to be complete. Lots of empty retail spaces with big "COMING SOON" signs.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 2:10 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Yeah, I flew out of T5 a couple weeks ago and was surprised that it still feels like an dumpy old terminal when the renovations were supposed to be complete. Lots of empty retail spaces with big "COMING SOON" signs.
The expansion is complete. The interior renovations continue.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by passy777
I would prefer to walk through a shopping mall to the gates rather than a soulless tunnel.

Nobody has ever forced me to enter the shops to buy anything and walking past them is hardly an ordeal.
DUB you literally have to walk through the shopping area to get from USA arrivals to a connecting intra-Europe flight.

AMS chose to make the trek from security to gate 2 or 3 times longer by putting in a huge shopping area in between, and while they have people movers, most seem to be out of action on a regular basis. For people with mobility problems, it's exhausting, and AMS requires more than 24 hours notice if you need assistance getting to the gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.