Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why are US airports so dated compared to those in Asia and Europe?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why are US airports so dated compared to those in Asia and Europe?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2022, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
In Europe, the defunct Berlin TXL used to have security at each gate. It appears that FRA terminal 2 has the same.

In GVA you can mostly avoid the shopping area by simply not walking into it. Not the case in ZRH, where you are made to walk through it after security. In DUS you can avoid the duty free in terminals A and B (in B just go through the doors on the extreme left).
Old Dec 29, 2022, 3:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
When it comes to shopping, isn't it also a benefit/ issue (depends how you see it) that the US never had tax free shopping?

Looking at LHR T5, the likes of Tiffany/ Prada/ Gucci etc. where buzzing with international shoppers before the Government ended tax free shopping, by now all these shops look mostly deserted when I pass by.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by der_saeufer

tl;dr: U.S. airports are basically train stations with metal detectors and I'm OK with that.
have you seen train stations in Europe? The bigger ones are basically inside of a shopping mall. Some even have grocery stores.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by twb3
For the most part, US airports are older than similar facilities in Asia and Europe.

Personally, I despise the architecture of many non-US airports that forces passengers to traverse a shopping mall between check-in and the gates. I am there to travel, not to shop.
I would prefer to walk through a shopping mall to the gates rather than a soulless tunnel.

Nobody has ever forced me to enter the shops to buy anything and walking past them is hardly an ordeal.
IggySD and lsquare like this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Concerto
In Europe, the defunct Berlin TXL used to have security at each gate. It appears that FRA terminal 2 has the same.

In GVA you can mostly avoid the shopping area by simply not walking into it. Not the case in ZRH, where you are made to walk through it after security. In DUS you can avoid the duty free in terminals A and B (in B just go through the doors on the extreme left).
What's the reason for​​​​​​ doing security at the gate? SIN seemed pretty unique to me and I can't figure out why.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 4:13 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
It seems that all OP is concerned about is having a big duty-free store. That shows a bizarre understanding of priorities for air travel.

If s/he thinks the US is bad, come to LHR where the walk to the gates can be a mile long (literally outer gates at T2, for example), or to Frankfurt, where badly laid-out terminals, etc, pretty much guarantee a minimum half hour walk through a wilderness of endless tunnels, unnecessary security checkpoints, etc, every time you connect there.

In Europe generally, jetbridge gates are the exception rather than the rule at many airports. Normative are remote stands with bussing to the plane, and even if it's not a remote stand you'll often be faced with steps up to the plane. The great thing about many US airports is that most non-puddle jumper flights that you're likely to take will leave from a gate with a jetbridge. Much more civilized!

It's all about perspective. I personally don't give a toss about being able to buy over-priced designer handbags or perfumes on my way through an airport. I do care about having jetbridges to access planes.

Last edited by 1P; Dec 29, 2022 at 4:18 am
Old Dec 29, 2022, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by poisson
have you seen train stations in Europe? The bigger ones are basically inside of a shopping mall. Some even have grocery stores.
I lived there, so yeah

Lots of train stations in Europe have grocery stores, cafs, etc. but none of them is particularly luxurious and the shopping is mainly the sort of stuff one would want at a train station like magazines, food, beer, ibuprofen, etc. rather than Rimowa and Rolex. That's all I want in my regular U.S. airports--and a lot of the bigger U.S. airports basically have all the usual shopping mall stuff anyway. Fewer thieves than most European train stations, though.

The big connector airports like SIN and DXB are a different creature altogether--there, the nice stuff makes sense and, I assume, turns a profit.

Originally Posted by 1P
In Europe generally jetbridge gates are the exception rather than the rule at many airports. (The great thing about many US airports is that most non-puddle jumper flights that you're likely to take will leave from a gate with a jetbridge. Much more civilized!)
How could I forget gates without jetbridges. Bus gates at Lisbon did at least get me some sweet EU 261 compensation a couple times, but there's nothing I love more than having to walk across the ramp in Northern Europe in December with a little kid when it's pouring rain. At least there was a nice duty-free shop where I could buy him some overpriced chocolate?
hhdl likes this.

Last edited by der_saeufer; Dec 29, 2022 at 4:25 am
Old Dec 29, 2022, 5:53 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rt23456p
You forget China and India.
They're forgettable airports. China and India have a lot of new, giant, glass-and-steel behemoths that look appealing upon landing -- that is, if the air pollution isn't so bad that day. But take a walk around them, and there will be a lot of cut corners such as chipped tiles or doors that don't close 100%, smoking in the restrooms (more of a China thing), crappy monochromatic food choices, and zero customer service. The U.S. is the same, just without the glass-and-steel bit.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 5:57 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by lsquare
What's the reason for​​​​​​ doing security at the gate? SIN seemed pretty unique to me and I can't figure out why.
MCI is similar although I think there may be a couple of gates behind the checkpoints. For US airports I believe it was the pre-2001 mindset where you could just breeze through security immediately before your flight. I think DFW used to have gate specific security as well but has since been changed. Ex-US KUL also has gates with their own security, cant remember if its just domestic or all gates. No idea what the rationale is for KUL and SIN but maybe they figured its easier to spread out security for anyone connecting vs having a central location? Doesnt really bother me except on the occasions when your flight is delayed and youre trapped at the gate.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 6:33 am

Programs: AAdvantage
For me a "good airport" is one that is easy to get in/out, around and close to ground transportation (no external train like MIA). I don't need or want a shopping mall. A few necessity stores are good enough.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 6:40 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Because Jesus hates taxes and infrastructure

More seriously, America has serious problems with public investment at all levels, exacerbated by the fact that our costs are excessively high and our entire bureaucratic process is broken - needing a 1000-page EIS and 40 rounds of public consultation for just about anything, etc. And let's not forget good old corruption and graft in many regions of the country (hello, NY) - the same reason we can't build a new subway station for less than eleventy trillion dollars.

Also, isn't airport construction in the US often led by the airlines themselves rather than being treated as a public good by the government? That ends up discouraging investment because companies will see it as a cost.

I will say that some US airports are fine. CLT is nice, DFW is tolerable, the new LGA is actually quite pleasant. But yeah - most are mediocre to hot garbage - looking at you, EWR.
downinit and lsquare like this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 7:08 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Primarily because arriving and departing passengers are not segregated - they mingle in the same concourses.
So this is to prevent an arriving passenger coming from an airport without adequate screening to pass contraband on to
a departing passenger.

This is also why a few arriving flights are selected for security screening on arrival.

CGK T2 also had screening at the gates until a few years ago, then they shifted to screening at each concourse
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 7:15 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by O62
Sure there are some mediocre airports in terms of design (ATL, some DFW ones, DEN outside of the Jeppesen building) and some need some big updates (CLT, PHX, EWR) but that's the same over in Europe. Most US airports were built up during the booms of the 70s and 80s so they are now hitting the end of their useful lives. Many Asian airports are great because most of them were built much more recently.
)
My biggest complaint about ATL is that Delta is now running mainline out of the D Concourse gates that were originally designed for Barbie Dream Jets and the seating situation there can be really miserable. Otherwise Ive come to appreciate its very logical layout and ability to move huge number of passengers very efficiently every day. And its hard for them to have to work around that many people to make improvements there- it took them forever to get rid of the dropped ceilings in some of the older concourses a few years back because they could only work between maybe midnight and 4:00am.

Originally Posted by poisson
With Zurich you get the grocery store right between the airport and the train station for the airport.

IIRC, AMS had security at the gates until somewhere around 2016-17.
lsquare and strickerj like this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 7:19 am

I've been to Zurich, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, etc... in my experience, they are more spread out and more of a hassle for travel. Like, what is it with needing to take a bus to and from the plane and gate? These airports aren't even designed to let planes park at the gate so travelers can walk from the gate to their plane. On my last trip to Germany, we had to walk down a steep set of stairs with luggage and board a bus where we were packed in like sardines, and I watched the older people struggle because there was no ramp or elevator or anything. American airports have a lot of amenities that airports in Europe do not, specifically the ease of the actual travel. Who cares if American airports don't have duty free shops? I've never bought anything at duty free in my life - I don't think it's actually any cheaper.

It's not an excuse to have PDX and ORD the way that they are. Quite embarrassing if you ask me.

I always thought PDX was one of the nicer airports with its shopping and food selections. They even hire harp players and piano players to play there. PDX also recently had some renovations in the last few years. What do you think is so terrible? Because I can assure you, there are worse airports.
strickerj and fatmenace like this.

Last edited by oreocookies; Dec 29, 2022 at 7:28 am
Old Dec 29, 2022, 7:26 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
We'll have to agree to disagree.

I can think of a few nice US airports, my home airport (TPA) being one of the best! Airports have been on a spending spree in the last few years. JFK, LGA, and LAX are improving. Otherwise, big city airports like Philly, Chicago, San Fran, DC, and NYC (etc) reflect the cities they're in - old and not in great shape.

I can't think of a single EU airport that I would consider "nice" except maybe MUC. Or HEL. Bus gates should be an automatic disqualifier (acknowledging MUC does this sometimes).

Finally, I'm absolutely fine with gov't ownership of airports. It means we don't have tolls to drop someone off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.