The Case For Compulsory Socks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2022, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ *E, IHG Ambassador, Qantas Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite, HH Gold

From here on in I think it should be made mandatory for socks to be compulsory on all flights! 18 upgrades on NZ4 yesterday AKL - LAX. I can only presume Hobbits weren’t excluded from the upgrade list!

Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 7:51 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by fleet7
From here on in I think it should be made mandatory for socks to be compulsory on all flights! 18 upgrades on NZ4 yesterday AKL - LAX. I can only presume Hobbits weren’t excluded from the upgrade list!

ewwww that is gross
KRSW and Silver Fox like this.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 5:54 am
Suspended

Agreed, completely gross. I don't want to see someone's bare feet while flying. Particularly another guy's bare feet (at any time).
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 5:41 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Toe fungus may be gross, but it is not contagious or harmful to anyone else. Many people have it. My suggestion is to mind your own business.
Badenoch, FabCW, Bandicoot and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 9:35 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by cbn42
Toe fungus may be gross, but it is not contagious or harmful to anyone else. Many people have it. My suggestion is to mind your own business.
My suggestion is to wear some damn socks if your toenails look like Fritos. It's gross.

Terbinafine is a cheap (but slow) cure. I'd had this for years until I did the six-month pill regimen. Scourge-free now!
TWA884, Silver Fox, Tanic and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 10, 2022, 6:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Flight attendants have more than enough to do without being forced to be sock police by squeamish travellers who become woozy at the sight of feet.
Bandicoot and FabCW like this.
Old Dec 10, 2022, 7:05 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
If this was Spirit airlines, it would have made the headlines, with a bunch of people saying this is why they won't fly it.
Old Dec 10, 2022, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Flight attendants have more than enough to do without being forced to be sock police by squeamish travellers who become woozy at the sight of feet.
I am pretty sure that FA's would rather ask people to put socks on their scuzzy feet than walk by that every time they go down the aisle.
Finkface and TWA884 like this.
Old Dec 10, 2022, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Eew. Yuck
Old Dec 11, 2022, 5:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by corky
I am pretty sure that FA's would rather ask people to put socks on their scuzzy feet than walk by that every time they go down the aisle.
I'm sure they've seen worse. Flight attendants are not that far removed from having to enforce mask mandates which sometimes prompted aggressive responses. The same would certainly occur if they began to pester unsocked fliers for their callous (pun intended) disregard of the tender souls among who us are appalled at the sight of feet.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm sure they've seen worse. Flight attendants are not that far removed from having to enforce mask mandates which sometimes prompted aggressive responses. The same would certainly occur if they began to pester unsocked fliers for their callous (pun intended) disregard of the tender souls among who us are appalled at the sight of feet.
I am only appalled at the sight of feet in certain circumstances. If I was at a restaurant and I saw some clod with those nasty dogs up on a chair or a table, I would hope the waiter busts them. Same with on an airplane...bad enough if he just had his feet bare down in front of him but to put those disgusting things on display is uncivilized.....show some class. Just because FA's have "seen worse" is no excuse for boorish behavior.
TWA884, born sleepy and Finkface like this.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
If I had toenails like that I would keep them covered. They're utterly disgusting and that person needs to be toenail shamed. It's either a statement or a cry for help.
corky likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 12:10 pm

Perhaps, I'm old fashioned and out of date, but I'm still from the school of thought where a gentleman should always keep his shoes on in public, and those shoes better have laces. I get that we're becoming much less formal and less stringent about these things, but at least don some sandals, slippers and, at the very least, some kind of socks.
born sleepy likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by corky
I am only appalled at the sight of feet in certain circumstances. If I was at a restaurant and I saw some clod with those nasty dogs up on a chair or a table, I would hope the waiter busts them. Same with on an airplane...bad enough if he just had his feet bare down in front of him but to put those disgusting things on display is uncivilized.....show some class. Just because FA's have "seen worse" is no excuse for boorish behavior.
Is it the feet themselves or where they are put? The reaction to a restaurant patron with their feet on the table should be the same whether they were wearing shoes or not. Is it enough that the flight attendants ask passengers not to put their feet on arm rests as opposed to forcing them to wear socks?

Originally Posted by Visconti
Perhaps, I'm old fashioned and out of date, but I'm still from the school of thought where a gentleman should always keep his shoes on in public, and those shoes better have laces. I get that we're becoming much less formal and less stringent about these things, but at least don some sandals, slippers and, at the very least, some kind of socks.
Sandals raise an interesting point. The unsightly digits shown above would be in open view while wearing sandals. Would a mandatory sock mandate apply? Socks and sandals are not universally accepted and socks cannot be worn with some types of sandals.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 3:01 pm

Sandals raise an interesting point. The unsightly digits shown above would be in open view while wearing sandals. Would a mandatory sock mandate apply? Socks and sandals are not universally accepted and socks cannot be worn with some types of sandals.
LOL..."unsightly digits"! What a colorful way of putting it. Ah, this is way above my pay grade and part of me still longs a return to an era where some semblance of etiquette were still widely practiced, sparing us such bizarre and absurd conundrums.

This being FT, I've got an FT'esque solution--fly in 1A or 1K, and mind my own business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.