Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Longest Flight You’ve Done In One Time Zone?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Longest Flight You’ve Done In One Time Zone?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2022, 1:00 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Any reason why there would be a need for YUL-LIM to avoid Cuban airspace in order to remain in the same time zone during October-March? I thought Cuba have DST a week or so off on one or both ends from the US East Coast.
For some reason I thought Cuba was off by 1 hour from US EST/EDT. I stand corrected.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
If you are counting flying through airspace which happens to be in the same time zone, it's an almost impossible thing to determine since winds on any given day could change the flight path. Plus it's an absurd distinction - the key is that the departure and arrival airports are in the same time zone. Otherwise, you may as well rule out places which have the same time but give different names to their time zones.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 7:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
If you are counting flying through airspace which happens to be in the same time zone, it's an almost impossible thing to determine since winds on any given day could change the flight path. Plus it's an absurd distinction - the key is that the departure and arrival airports are in the same time zone. Otherwise, you may as well rule out places which have the same time but give different names to their time zones.
My criteria is if I don't have to change my watch upon arrival I am in the same time zone.
wrp96 and travelmad478 like this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Badenoch
My criteria is if I don't have to change my watch upon arrival I am in the same time zone.
That’s what I was thinking of when I posed the question.
Badenoch and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 7:12 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Someone flying across China will be the winner. My personal longest has probably been (seasonally) US East Coast <-> SCL (which will range from 0, 1, or 2 hours difference).
Not that I've done it, but Perth to Beijing (assuming that this flight existed in the past) would probably win this one.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by diburning
Not that I've done it, but Perth to Beijing (assuming that this flight existed in the past) would probably win this one.
At least by great-circle distances, JFK-SCL (5097 miles) does in fact just beat out PER-PEK (4,954 miles), and I believe is actually currently operated by LATAM.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 7:53 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I suppose that works with DST. Otherwise, SCL is normally an hour ahead of JFK.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 8:00 am

Guys, don't you read? The post stating MUC-JNB with 5200mi beats both routes.

I did FRA-CPT with LH at 5815mi.

Was it Air Namibia that did not fly over land for some time due to some disputes? Then WDH-FRA could have been actually longer...
Old Jul 27, 2022, 8:03 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
SCL-YYZ (AC route) is 5,332 miles, longer than SCL-JFK.
lsquare, diburning and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 8:21 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by estrela

I did FRA-CPT with LH at 5815mi.

Was it Air Namibia that did not fly over land for some time due to some disputes? Then WDH-FRA could have been actually longer...
I've got AMS-CPT coming up in the winter that clocks in at 5998mi on gcmap. The actual flight route seems to come in at just over 6000.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by estrela
Did you read? Where did I say that JFK-SCL was the longest route? I was just pointing out that there was a route (actually in service) that was longer than PER-PEK.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Badenoch
I think the Apple Watch automatically changes to the correct time once there's a connection...
Old Jul 27, 2022, 8:55 am
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
It seems that going north or south works best for staying in the same time zone. But does the mileage count for an air-turnback as well?
Old Jul 27, 2022, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by joejones
SCL-YYZ (AC route) is 5,332 miles, longer than SCL-JFK.
Hmmmm. Forgot about that one, which I actually flew in Northern Hemisphere summer years ago (so typically the same hour in both places).
Old Aug 9, 2022, 6:47 am
formerly rt23456p

SIN-PEK, 2,780 mi

The farthest I think possible on scheduled service on one flight would be the CZ354 pre-pandemic, SIN-CAN-SHE and the SIN-TAO-SHE measuring at 3,027 and 3,028 mi respectively, on more than one flight, maybe SIN-CAN-URC-KHG? CZ3040 and the CZ dreamliner service between CAN and KHG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.