Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Longest Flight You’ve Done In One Time Zone?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2022, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold

What’s the longest flight you’ve done without changing time zones?

For me it is Aruba-IAD at about 1870 miles. (They are in the same time zone during EDT. ) I’m sure some FlyerTalkers will have much longer flights.

Being based in LA, there aren’t a lot of long north/south flights available. Nothing farther than Cabo to the south and western Canada to the north.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 9:57 am

Off the top of my head, the longest I can think of is London to Tenerife, which is 1809 miles.

I'm also in LA, and yes, it's hard to fly more than a couple hours without leaving the time zone.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by LAX2Anywhere
What’s the longest flight you’ve done without changing time zones?

For me it is Aruba-IAD at about 1870 miles. (They are in the same time zone during EDT. ) I’m sure some FlyerTalkers will have much longer flights.

Being based in LA, there aren’t a lot of long north/south flights available. Nothing farther than Cabo to the south and western Canada to the north.
Someone flying across China will be the winner. My personal longest has probably been (seasonally) US East Coast <-> SCL (which will range from 0, 1, or 2 hours difference).
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I did FRA to CPT pre-COVID. It's 5830 miles
Old Jul 26, 2022, 11:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Probably IAH-LIM. Around 3,150 miles.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Someone flying across China will be the winner. My personal longest has probably been (seasonally) US East Coast <-> SCL (which will range from 0, 1, or 2 hours difference).
Just to clear, there may be a winner, but there’s no prize!
Old Jul 26, 2022, 12:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
JNB to MUC 5,200miles or 8,320kms
Old Jul 26, 2022, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Doesn’t that flight typically cross multiple [UTC- ] time zones before sometimes beginning and ending up in the same UTC- zone? I don’t even want to imagine how much longer my US-SCL flights would have been if trying to do the whole trip within one time zone.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 7:38 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
The theoretically longest ones would have to be:
North America - South America (e.g. JFK-SCL). It gets tricky though, depending on summer/winter and who has their clock forward/back.
Europe - South Africa (e.g. LON/FRA-CPT/JNB)
You'd think that within China you'd have long flights, but the longest you can get is something like URC-SYX,HRB-SYX,URC-XMN - all of them are about 2100-2200 miles, shorter than, say, LON-LOS, which is in the same time zone during summer.

If there was a PEK-PER it would also be up there...
joejones and strickerj like this.

Last edited by Palal; Jul 26, 2022 at 7:45 pm
Old Jul 26, 2022, 9:18 pm
Suspended

Most Europe-South Africa commercial flight routes would pass more than one time zone to get between the European and the South African airports.

Maybe Montreal-Lima stays entirely within one time zone at times?

Has there been a Shanghai-Perth flight?

JFK-SCL — even when it’s when the times are the same both at the origin and destination — would typically cross more than one time zone IIRC.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time..._Zones_Map.png
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 26, 2022 at 9:24 pm
Old Jul 26, 2022, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Most Europe-South Africa commercial flight routes would pass more than one time zone to get between the European and the South African airports.

Maybe Montreal-Lima stays entirely within one time zone at times?

Has there been a Shanghai-Perth flight?

JFK-SCL — even when it’s when the times are the same both at the origin and destination — would typically cross more than one time zone IIRC.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time..._Zones_Map.png
If we're talking about flights that do not involve changing time zones en route, then YYZ-POS in winter is definitely on the list (>2500 mi), along with the intra-China flights.
Any flights to SCL would fly over a different time zone. Same issue going to Africa.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 11:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Palal
If we're talking about flights that do not involve changing time zones en route, then YYZ-POS in winter is definitely on the list (>2500 mi), along with the intra-China flights.
Any flights to SCL would fly over a different time zone. Same issue going to Africa.
YUL-LIM (or YYZ-LIM) would be a good deal longer than YYZ to POS and other islands within the same time zone. That’s with YUL-LIM having been done without crossing Venezuelan and Brazilian territory.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
YUL-LIM (or YYZ-LIM) would be a good deal longer than YYZ to POS and other islands within the same time zone. That’s with YUL-LIM having been done without crossing Venezuelan and Brazilian territory.
That should work in theory, but only in Oct-Mar (no DST in the northern hemisphere) and assuming you avoid the Cuban airspace - which this the flights to LIM usually pass over.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 12:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Palal
That should work in theory, but only in Oct-Mar (no DST in the northern hemisphere) and assuming you avoid the Cuban airspace - which this the flights to LIM usually pass over.
Any reason why there would be a need for YUL-LIM to avoid Cuban airspace in order to remain in the same time zone during October-March? I thought Cuba have DST a week or so off on one or both ends from the US East Coast.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 12:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

PEK-URC is my longest at 1515 miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.