Stranded versus delayed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stranded versus delayed

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2022, 12:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by EXP100
I grew up in the 1970s. Most people never flew because flying was expensive. It boggles my mind that people think they should be able to have something just because it's there. I drive a 2005 Cadillac Deville. If I see someone driving a 2022 Cadillac Escalade my immediate thought isn't I'm owed that 2022 model.

ULCCs might be short on price but they're also often short on service. That $59 fare comes with strings attached. Want to fly better-better yourself and you will.
I would be with you if it were someone flying a ULCC and then going on an online rant about how the seat was small, there was no first class, there was no lounge, there was no food, and they had to pay for baggage. Those are the legitimate, advertised strings attached to the $59 fare.

We still expect the core product - the flight - to be delivered with the $59 fare.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 12:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by pinniped
I would be with you if it were someone flying a ULCC and then going on an online rant about how the seat was small, there was no first class, there was no lounge, there was no food, and they had to pay for baggage. Those are the legitimate, advertised strings attached to the $59 fare.

We still expect the core product - the flight - to be delivered with the $59 fare.
Ever look at the Customer Service Line at Wal Mart? It ain't pretty. Then go to an upscale department store and see the difference. $59 fares aren't going to get you good customer service because the provider doesn't see it as necessary because you're getting a cheap price. Not that the legacies are much better now.
LTFF likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 2:51 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
This reminds me of one of the rappers recently in the news. She claimed AA stranded her and her baby, as well as others (the rest?) of the plane at MIA, with no luggage. My first thought was that out of EVERYONE she was probably the least "stranded" as she had the resources to purchase a ticket, or anything she should need, plus likely had at least a person or handlers/assistants. And a label that probably would have gotten her on a private jet if she complained enough.

For me, stranded makes me think of accidentally being left totally alone on a cruise ship's private island or something with no other boats coming into port for a while.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K

and the issues are: (1) the airlines that offer/provide said $59 flights have a minimalist business model that doesn't make allowance for any instance in which anything is other than normal, and (2) many if not most people who eagerly snap up said $59 flights have not -- and likely will not -- ever consider that things just might not go normally during their travels or the fact that the airline's business model will likely leave them to fend for themselves for awhile

in real time, whether they consider themselves "stranded" or "delayed" is only peripherally relevant to how anyone else perceives both the situation and the reactions

Originally Posted by james318
This reminds me of one of the rappers recently in the news. She claimed AA stranded her and her baby, as well as others (the rest?) of the plane at MIA, with no luggage. My first thought was that out of EVERYONE she was probably the least "stranded" as she had the resources to purchase a ticket, or anything she should need, plus likely had at least a person or handlers/assistants. And a label that probably would have gotten her on a private jet if she complained enough.

For me, stranded makes me think of accidentally being left totally alone on a cruise ship's private island or something with no other boats coming into port for a while.
again, anyone with a public persona is even better positioned than the average traveler to make a digital ruckus about how "the big bad airline treated me and my family/traveling party like dirt and I'm gonna make sure everyone knows about it! "
Old Apr 22, 2022, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
and the issues are: (1) the airlines that offer/provide said $59 flights have a minimalist business model that doesn't make allowance for any instance in which anything is other than normal
Which is precisely why there needs to be a strong passenger bill of rights with heavy penalties for extended delays, including provisions that require airlines who have such a minimalist approach to rebook passengers on other airlines and pay steep penalties to the affected passengers.

The fact that a complete absence of customer service and in some cases a complete absence of intent to even deliver the contracted service at all is considered a valid "business model" is a failure of our government to fulfill a basic consumer protection function.

again, anyone with a public persona is even better positioned than the average traveler to make a digital ruckus about how "the big bad airline treated me and my family/traveling party like dirt and I'm gonna make sure everyone knows about it! "
I don't know the underlying situation with the rapper.

Although I will say this: AA failing to deliver and do right by its customers is totally believable given their current operational state. A celebrity throwing a hissyfit about not getting special treatment like a private lounge or F upgrades for their whole family or posse is also totally believable.

So whether this was an overentitled celeb or a real operational and customer service failure....I don't know....but in 2022 I'm more likely to believe the rapper than AA. That's the current state of U.S. airlines.
TPACjv likes this.

Last edited by pinniped; Apr 22, 2022 at 3:35 pm
Old Apr 23, 2022, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Canada's low-cost vacation airline Sunwing ran into a technical glitch yesterday and my news feeds were replete with sad tales of woe from travellers stranded in various locations. There was the usual fury directed at the airline, the whining about lack of communication and the teary-eyed pleas for an immediate solution.

I have no sympathy. The term "stranded" means to be stuck somewhere with no means of getting anywhere else. Unless socked in by weather and everything is grounded the only people who are "stranded" are those who aren't prepared for the occasional flight disruption. Sensible travellers therefore are never "stranded" but are merely "delayed."
i have full sympathy (and ZERO EMPATHY) for these ULCC pax because they usually have a limited holiday budget that doesn’t factor IRROPS. Like us US3 fliers, nobody reads the fine microprint on the COC. the majority of these pax are not prepared to spend money on hotel due to IRROPS with plans for reimbursement. Most of these people aren’t prepared to pay $50 for a wash/fold laundry service when they’re delayed a week or two for their ULCC to get them home.

i have zero empathy because I don’t fly ULCC and like others in ft, I can just buy a full fare flight to get home in order to reduce inconvenience or I can taxi to a money-burning hotel instead of awaiting a budget hotel voucher plus food vouchers plus shuttle voucher. I don’t know what it’s like to have used up my travel budget for the year. I’ve endured delayed luggage which taught me to carry extra clothing in my carryon during travel.

it’s not a pretty picture for most of these ULCC pax. I just hope that these IRROPS don’t impede their ability to fondly remember the other 7-14 days of their fabulous vacation. I’ve had my own flight issues for flights back home that I won’t forget since I also won’t forget all the joyful memories of trips. Ok. I will eventually forget since that’s normal for humans. :-)

but utter sympathy. Nobody likes IRROPS. That’s why we have FlyerTalk. And we all hate IRROPS in life, outside of travel.

Which news feeds exist that allow you to learn about Sunwings? Today is the first day that I’ve heard of it. I definitely don’t read any news feeds about travel outside of FlyerTalk and nytimes.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I wonder what percentage of the affected Sunwing patrons purchased relevant insurance.
DELee likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
I wonder what percentage of the affected Sunwing patrons purchased relevant insurance.
Is travel insurance a well-regulated product in Canada? Do your major national insurance companies offer it?

(Serious question. I'm in a U.S. state without any clear guidance about travel insurance regulation and my homeowners and auto company, a brand I *somewhat* trust, does not sell it.)
Old Apr 25, 2022, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Is travel insurance a well-regulated product in Canada? Do your major national insurance companies offer it?
Yes. Several products, including time-based... for example, per trip, or blanket duration (usually a calendar year). Includes various types and packages. I used to buy them often and only had to use it once, and it was helpful.
I thought this was standard across Can/USA.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
I thought this was standard across Can/USA.
Definitely less common in the USA. I'm with USAA and Prudential for different types of insurance and neither offer it. I don't know about Allstate or State Farm.

Travel companies try to push it, usually with insurance firms that I have never had any relationship with and haven't ever researched. It's never clear to me how/where the insurance company is located/incorporated, regulated, or what the venue would be for any dispute.

Residents of bigger states, especially places like NY that have a pretty active consumer-protection function in the AG's office, may have clearer published guidelines on how to research and buy travel insurance from reputable firms. Just not a thing I've ever looked too far into.

I remember when I lived in the UK, some of their national, trusted insurance companies offered it. Most of my friends bought an annual policy, which was pretty affordable.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 10:16 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Even for a heavily privileged board like Flyertalk, this post is oozing with enough privilege to power its own forum.
Not sure I agree with that. The probability of being stranded when taking an obscure ULCC is non-trivial, so it seems like prudent advice for anyone taking such a trip to have the means for some kind of back-up plan.

Or, for that matter, for anyone taking any trip via any means of transportation to be equipped to mitigate a bad-case scenario.
DELee and Badenoch like this.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 5:12 am

I was stranded with 2 (albeit adult) children on 9/11, in London, during a long connection. The (in)famous British airline assumed no responsibility whatsoever. All would-be tourist services were price gouging the unfortunate who were stranded. I personally, boycotted that airline for 20 years, as a result, until i decided to let bygones be bygones. And then they pulled another zinger, and I was a full fare business class.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 6:37 am

Even for a heavily privileged board like Flyertalk, this post is oozing with enough privilege to power its own forum.
This isn't oozing privilege. It is oozing common sense. It's about deferring consumption of non-essential goods and/or services until you can comfortably pay for them, vs. spending all of your immediately available assets on short term pleasures before you have built up your safety reserves to handle unexpected situations. That leads to the next issue: If you are flying a low cost carrier with infrequent service, and the conditions of carriage permit the carrier to cancel the flight with minimal obligation to get you to your destination, it might be a really good idea to buy travel insurance.
mecabq, Badenoch and EXP100 like this.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by mikeschumann
This isn't oozing privilege. It is oozing common sense. It's about deferring consumption of non-essential goods and/or services until you can comfortably pay for them, vs. spending all of your immediately available assets on short term pleasures before you have built up your safety reserves to handle unexpected situations. That leads to the next issue: If you are flying a low cost carrier with infrequent service, and the conditions of carriage permit the carrier to cancel the flight with minimal obligation to get you to your destination, it might be a really good idea to buy travel insurance.
If you live somewhere with reputable, trusted, well-regulated travel insurance, by all means BUY IT.

But there also needs to be a passenger bill of rights that prevents carriers from selling tickets with minimal obligations to actually deliver upon them. Whether they bill themselves as "low cost" or not.

The individual consumer here did nothing wrong - they just bought a product, one that was in many cases aggressively marketed by the corporation. The burden to deliver should be on the corporation, and there should be a regulatory function that ensures that, with severe penalties for those who don't. I definitely don't trust the corporations to regulate themselves, especially not a bunch as ethically challenged as airlines.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by mikeschumann
No, that is exactly what privilege is... wagging your finger at people who cannot afford full fare, as if it's their fault that they are not wealthy like you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.