Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is the standard now for window shades to be closed on all flights at all times?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the standard now for window shades to be closed on all flights at all times?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2022, 12:42 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
I always book window seats and keep the shades up since I enjoy the view. I'll compromise and lower it to the point that it doesn't glare on the screens but where I can still see out.

I'm reminded of an overnight flight on AF where a FA snapped at me from the other aisle over to lower my shade when it was pitch black outside... Yeah, I guarantee you just disturbed more passengers than my shade did...
Loose Cannon and JimP like this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I often wake up during a TCON redeye flight and look outside for a few minutes, trying to guess location from the light patterns of towns, highways, airports, etc

last year going SEA-JFK, I was in one of the DL A330-900 suites with the seat closer to the aisle than the window (*not* my preferred configuration), and woke up to find the FA taking advantage of the fact that the sliding door on the suite was open and leaning across me to close the shade
Old Jan 26, 2022, 8:08 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by jrl767
I often wake up during a TCON redeye flight and look outside for a few minutes, trying to guess location from the light patterns of towns, highways, airports, etc

last year going SEA-JFK, I was in one of the DL A330-900 suites with the seat closer to the aisle than the window (*not* my preferred configuration), and woke up to find the FA taking advantage of the fact that the sliding door on the suite was open and leaning across me to close the shade
She was just following her mother instincts so you could get some shut-eye
Iam Jetlagged likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K

nice assumption there — male FA
Old Jan 28, 2022, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Amtrak
Originally Posted by Herb687
The sun? Blasting through during daylight hours? What nerve.
Yeah because.people never use curtains at home, or have tinted windows on cars, or gasp, have never provided curtains on buses, trains etc. I normally keep the shades up (for views, photography etc) but if it is blasting bright sun, esp at an angle, then it is basic courtesy to keep it down enough.
Making snarky remarks without exact context is just poor form.
BlueJayFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 6:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
The decision on the shades belongs to the cabin crew. If they don't care then it belongs to the person in the window seat. The decision on whether the person in the window seat can conveniently access the aisle belongs to the passengers in the middle and the aisle seats. Window seat occupants who don't care if the glare of the sunlight disturbs their adjacent seatmates and become pissy if asked to lower the shade might want to keep that in mind or plan to cutback on their fluid intake.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 8:18 am
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by Badenoch
The decision on the shades belongs to the cabin crew. If they don't care then it belongs to the person in the window seat. The decision on whether the person in the window seat can conveniently access the aisle belongs to the passengers in the middle and the aisle seats. Window seat occupants who don't care if the glare of the sunlight disturbs their adjacent seatmates and become pissy if asked to lower the shade might want to keep that in mind or plan to cutback on their fluid intake.

where is this rule published or is it open for modification ?

The penalty result interests me
BlueJayFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 8:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
where is this rule published or is it open for modification ?

The penalty result interests me
The point is that in the close confines of an airline cabin showing some consideration for the people around you is a good plan. Should I ask you nicely to lower the blind a bit because the glare is in my eyes and you get pissy about it (pun intended) don't be surprised if I'm not particularly cooperative when you need to get to the aisle.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 5:49 pm

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Badenoch
The point is that in the close confines of an airline cabin showing some consideration for the people around you is a good plan. Should I ask you nicely to lower the blind a bit because the glare is in my eyes and you get pissy about it (pun intended) don't be surprised if I'm not particularly cooperative when you need to get to the aisle.
I'm all for being courteous but seriously, what are you gonna do, not let the person through to go to the lavatory?
Old Jan 31, 2022, 8:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
After a big J meal on a long flight it's not unusual to want to sleep for a few hours, Herb.

Even in daylight.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 11:45 pm

This thread is probably the reason cabin crews love electronically dimmable blinds on newer aircraft like B787 and A350
Old Feb 1, 2022, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by born sleepy
After a big J meal on a long flight it's not unusual to want to sleep for a few hours, Herb.

Even in daylight.
I was more referring to shorter daytime flights (3,4,5 hours, leaving at 10/11/12)
Old Feb 1, 2022, 8:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by Adelphos
I was more referring to shorter daytime flights (3,4,5 hours, leaving at 10/11/12)
That's fine, and I even like shades-up on domestic daytime flights. I don't understand this fetish for shades-down, lights-out at midday on a 2-3 hour flight.

Long hauls are another matter... that TLV-EWR flight (UA85?) with the 11:30-ish departure was I think almost 13 hours due to winter headwinds.
Tanic, lhrsfo and BlueJayFlyer like this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by born sleepy
That's fine, and I even like shades-up on domestic daytime flights. I don't understand this fetish for shades-down, lights-out at midday on a 2-3 hour flight.

Long hauls are another matter... that TLV-EWR flight (UA85?) with the 11:30-ish departure was I think almost 13 hours due to winter headwinds.
1130 or 2330?

Most people are awake for 13+ hours in the middle of the day.

Proper jetlag avoidance suggests acclimating to the time zone where you are headed, no?

An 1130 departure from TLV with 13 hours enroute to EWR would arrive at 1730L. I'm not going to apologize for wanting to stay awake and enjoy the views out the window for most of a flight that departs at 1130 and arrives at 1730.

Some of the most impressive views I've seen out of the window of an airplane were during a daylight crossing of Greenland and the Canadian Arctic (followed by stunning shots of the Canadian Rockies) on a UA LHR-SFO flight.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 5:06 am

Pretty sure most long haul carriers still offer eye shades/masks - even in Y?
BlueJayFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.