Search

Why are all the sinks cracked?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2022, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Why are all the sinks cracked?

I’ve been contemplating this for a while. In my travels, I encounter cracked sink basins all too frequently. Maybe as many as 1/3 to 1/2 of the rooms I stay in. Typically these are Hampton Inns and Holiday Inn Expresses. I’ve never broken a sink, at home or elsewhere. So, why are they broken. Theories?

I come into town right after a touring rock band. Except where’s the other damage? Plus Keith Moon is deceased.

Clumsy plumbers. Heavy pipe wrenches dropped in sinks?

Poor quality materials. Hotel sinks are below “contractor grade” and crack at the slightest provocation?

Serial sink crackers. Johnny Sinkcracker roams the country breaking bathroom fixtures?

ETA: didn’t mean to post here. Could a mod move to TravelBuzz or elsewhere appropriate?
corky and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 11:09 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
I've probably got 600 nights in various HIX properties, and never seen one yet.

Microtel OTOH......don't get me started......heh.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 11:22 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards Select, Maika'i Card
Many hotels would not tolerate a cracked sink. I have worked at a hotels that had a couple--I don't know what people do to them, although I suspect it involves alcohol and bottles.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by Maglev
Many hotels would not tolerate a cracked sink. I have worked at a hotels that had a couple--I don't know what people do to them, although I suspect it involves alcohol and bottles.
I wonder if some guests cool their beer in the sink, then run hot water. Would the rapid temperature change cause the basin to crack?
KDS777 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 6:09 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
I've done that a lot, but without issues. Plenty of time between going to bed at midnight and getting up at 600AM for the sink to return to room temps.

Last edited by KDS777; Jan 2, 2022 at 6:22 pm
Old Jan 2, 2022, 9:00 pm

Programs: AS 75K
From your list I'd say poor quality materials and poor (clumsy, I suppose) installation. Commercial jobs (hotels, etc.) all the contractors know that nobody specifically really cares. As in, there is no one homeowner to complain about something. Also, you can bet the person counting the cost of sinks X 200 rooms X 500 hotels is pretty happy to save a couple bucks on each unit.
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Maglev
Actually, I'm thinking alcohol and booties. "New nookie position, babe - we're in a hotel - no one cares if I sit up here!"
BamaVol, corky and pudgym29 like this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 7:32 am

Programs: HH Diamond
My toilet cracked. The bowl suddenly had a hairline crack. How the heck did I crack the toilet?

So, I had it replaced. The plumber told me that toilets crack when foundations shift or the floor moves. Apparently, not from 'use'.

Maybe sinks crack the same way?

Or, more likely, maybe they were cracked upon installation.
BamaVol likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.