Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

A new fee idea for hotels (from my childhood)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2021, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass

Some of us are old enough to remember motels with 25 cent coin boxes to operate the TV.
We have resort fees, destination fees, use of credit card fees, and automatic maid tip fees. Why pass up this proven money making fee??

25 cents for 30 minutes is around $5.50/hour in 2021 dollars.
Sisosig likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 9:15 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
I'm waiting for a point redemption fee.

You can use your points to redeem a free night at any hotel in the Hilton portfolio! Just don't forget to pay the redemption fee of .5 cents per point!
Old Jul 18, 2021, 9:48 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I do not believe that COVIDeo will be a name which is well-received these days...
Old Jul 19, 2021, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by Canarsie
I do not believe that COVIDeo will be a name which is well-received these days...
In one of the area I worked at Disney World, everyone had a unique stage name. The idea was to make it easy for guests to single out a Cast Member (aka employee) using a name. Some guests wanted our full name to use in a complaint/compliment. We'd say: "My name is Lance and I'm only person here with that name."

Anyway, occasionally Cast Members had to change their stage names if a scandal, event, or news story created a bad connotation with guests. Both "Clinton" and "Monica" were nixed the Clinton Impeachment. I knew someone going by "Isis Rose" when I worked there. I'm certain that name and any using "Isis" were changed when that name became connected to terrorism.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
In one of the area I worked at Disney World, everyone had a unique stage name. The idea was to make it easy for guests to single out a Cast Member (aka employee) using a name. Some guests wanted our full name to use in a complaint/compliment. We'd say: "My name is Lance and I'm only person here with that name."

Anyway, occasionally Cast Members had to change their stage names if a scandal, event, or news story created a bad connotation with guests. Both "Clinton" and "Monica" were nixed the Clinton Impeachment. I knew someone going by "Isis Rose" when I worked there. I'm certain that name and any using "Isis" were changed when that name became connected to terrorism.
Unless your a duck, maybe Donald became a toxic name.
born sleepy and writerguyfl like this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by WasKnown
I'm waiting for a point redemption fee.

You can use your points to redeem a free night at any hotel in the Hilton portfolio! Just don't forget to pay the redemption fee of .5 cents per point!
Hotels.com beat you to it there.
:D! likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 12:18 pm

wouldn't be surprised if Marriott beats hilton to it
Old Jul 19, 2021, 2:37 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Since not really specific to Hilton-family hotels, will move to Travel Buzz.

Thanks,

cblaisd, Co-Moderator, Hilton forum
Old Jul 19, 2021, 2:50 pm

Programs: a little here, a little there
I don't remember those (I do remember something like that in airline terminals) but I remember boxes like this in motel rooms that would make the beds shake! I'm sure my parents loved it when I pestered them for the fun shaking bed!
Old Jul 19, 2021, 6:53 pm

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by johnndor
I don't remember those (I do remember something like that in airline terminals) but I remember boxes like this in motel rooms that would make the beds shake! I'm sure my parents loved it when I pestered them for the fun shaking bed!
Those were a hit when travelling for sports tournaments with a bunch of adolescent boys.

I seem to recall that laying the box on it's side would trick-it in to vibrating indefinitely
Old Jul 19, 2021, 11:05 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
I don't remember seeing these coin-op TVs anywhere other than bus/train stations and military air terminals. Half were always broken and the entire area stank of cigarettes. If I remember rightly, the chassis and seat were molded glittery fiberglass in all kinds of colors.

I can remember stuff this from when I was maybe six, but calculus? Forget it.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 2:58 am

I haven't seen coin-operated TVs ever, but I have vague memories from few decades ago that some hotel TVs did feature some pay channels, one or more obviously offering adult entertainment content. However, I can't remember how the usage and payment worked, might been something like that if you switch to those pay channels then the TV set or set-top box hooked to it noticed that and after watching for more than short grace period, this information was recorded into the hotel billing system.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 7:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does anyone remember the coin operated massage mattresses in some Ma & Pa USA motels in the 1950s/60s?
Old Jul 22, 2021, 8:37 am

JFK et al had coin operated TV chairs in the 60s/70s - and maybe early 80s?
Old Jul 25, 2021, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by Hezu
I haven't seen coin-operated TVs ever, but I have vague memories from few decades ago that some hotel TVs did feature some pay channels, one or more obviously offering adult entertainment content. However, I can't remember how the usage and payment worked, might been something like that if you switch to those pay channels then the TV set or set-top box hooked to it noticed that and after watching for more than short grace period, this information was recorded into the hotel billing system.
We had one of those systems at the first hotel I worked. It was called SpectraVision. If you kept the TV on one of the channels for more than 3 (or maybe it was 5) minutes, the cost of the movie was added to your bill.

Of course, that was back in the dark ages when on-demand didn't exist. The movies started at the specific times listed on the card in your room. If you missed the start, you had to wait for the next showing an hour or two later.

I could be wrong, but I believe the machinery was custom-built laserdisc players that ran on repeat. They were locked away in the same room that held the huge computers that ran the computer system. And I do mean huge...the nightly backup involved many 8-inch floppy disks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.