Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Early Check-in Fees: How Common

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2021, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Hotel Early Check-in Fees: How Common

How common are hotel early check-in fees? We recently encountered this monstrosity at a lower-end Hilton suites property in Anchorage. Our flight was cancelled, and we made a booking at the Hilton property. Upon arrival at 11am, the desk clerk advised that the room in question was available, but that there would be a $184.50 "early check-in fee" on top of the already fairly high $369.00 nightly room rate for checking in at that time, rather than at 3pm. I have never encountered such a thing.

To make things worse, we elected to delay our check in, and the clerk stored our luggage. We went to lunch for a couple of hours, and upon our return took a seat in the lobby, waiting for 3pm. Another hotel guest was also seated there. It turned out he had similarly encountered the "early check in fee", and was quite annoyed by it. At 145pm, he had had enough, and approached the clerk, asking if "it was now close enough", and the clerk responded affirmatively,and proceeded to check the guest in. At that point, we also approached the desk and asked if we could be checked in. In neither case was there any additional mention that an "early check-in fee" would apply, and we assumed, based on the "close enough" discussion between the clerk and the other guest that we were in the clear. The next morning, after we left the hotel, we read our emailed receipt and noted that the "early check-in fee" was on our bill.

My question now is how common are "early check-in fees"? Has anyone ever encountered them?

We later called the hotel, and the personnel there refused to issue a refund. We followed up with a written letter to the hotel, and have escalated to Hilton Honors. So far, HH so far has been inept, first offering 3000 HH points and later 5000 HH points, but declining to offer a refund of the $184.50. At this point we are seeking a refund of the full amount paid to the hotel, namely $619.92, for the one-night stay, under Hilton's supposed "satisfaction guarantee" and from our credit card.

In my opinion, the entire action and response constitutes poor customer hospitality.
corky likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
If you look at the amounts closely, the "early check-in" fee is not really for early check in. It is the exact half of one-night stay.

In short - you were billed 1.5 night. And "early check-in" fee = the cost of half night.
moondog likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Seems like a good deal. I usually just buy the night before if I need to check in early.
moondog likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
My question now is how common are "early check-in fees"? Has anyone ever encountered them?
Recently I have seen such a fee listed under "Options" on a major hotel chain website, and at the moment I can't remember if it was Hilton, Hyatt or Marriott. The listed fee was $50 for 2 hours early check-in.

La Quinta in NYC charged $25 per extra hour of late check-out. I only paid it because the weather was vile and my train wasn't for 2 hours.

In my opinion, the entire action and response constitutes poor customer hospitality.
Agreed. I would also push back because according to your statement, they did not clearly inform you at the actual check-in that you would be charged the fee.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've had work book either the night before or a half night early a few times for flights to europe where I'd arrive early and have enough time for a few hours sleep before going to meetings.

I don't think I've ever been charged a fee in the US for checking in a few hours early - either they have some rooms that cleaning is done on or they don't, and depending on where I am in line I might get one. I usually use online check-in when it's available, and check in as I'm boarding my flight. I recently did that for a redeye to the Boston area and when I arrived in Boston the hotel already showed my room as ready at around 7am, so I had time to stop for a quick shower and drop things off before going to my meeting. There was no additional charge on my bill for the early check-in (Springhill Suites).
Eastbay1K likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by chrisl137
I've had work book either the night before or a half night early a few times for flights to europe where I'd arrive early and have enough time for a few hours sleep before going to meetings.

I don't think I've ever been charged a fee in the US for checking in a few hours early - either they have some rooms that cleaning is done on or they don't, and depending on where I am in line I might get one. I usually use online check-in when it's available, and check in as I'm boarding my flight. I recently did that for a redeye to the Boston area and when I arrived in Boston the hotel already showed my room as ready at around 7am, so I had time to stop for a quick shower and drop things off before going to my meeting. There was no additional charge on my bill for the early check-in (Springhill Suites).
I book the night before if I expect a pre-8am (or so) arrival and really want / need a room upon arrival. But to charge a half day for an 11am arrival is chicken poopoodoodookaka. It is already a room that has been serviced, and will be sitting empty until 3, unless the hotel can apparently extort money out of someone. I cannot imagine the amount of extra toilet flushing and electric appliance use one could have in 4 hours, and this is absurd. The same hotel should give me a reduced rate for a 6 am checkout, as it can clearly have the room ready by 8am, for more extortion.
corky, gobluetwo, rbwpi and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 8:48 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I book the night before if I expect a pre-8am (or so) arrival and really want / need a room upon arrival. But to charge a half day for an 11am arrival is chicken poopoodoodookaka. It is already a room that has been serviced, and will be sitting empty until 3, unless the hotel can apparently extort money out of someone. I cannot imagine the amount of extra toilet flushing and electric appliance use one could have in 4 hours, and this is absurd. The same hotel should give me a reduced rate for a 6 am checkout, as it can clearly have the room ready by 8am, for more extortion.
I hope early check out fees don't become a thing.
uanj, rbwpi, strickerj and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
…The same hotel should give me a reduced rate for a 6 am checkout, as it can clearly have the room ready by 8am, for more extortion.
that, of course, is contingent on whether Housekeeping staff starts work by 0730, which is NOT a given (especially, in my experience, at second- and third-tier properties like Fairfield, Springhill, Candlewood, etc)
Old Jul 15, 2021, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Follow up: refund of early checking fee on the way

After sending off an email last night to Hilton’s Senior Manager, Customer Service in McLean, VA, within less than 24 hours we received an email with a revised folio showing a refund of the $184.50 early check-in fee and associated taxes.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by jrl767
that, of course, is contingent on whether Housekeeping staff starts work by 0730, which is NOT a given (especially, in my experience, at second- and third-tier properties like Fairfield, Springhill, Candlewood, etc)
My point could have perhaps been a bit clearer, but if the room is ready for early check in, it was already cleaned at some point and is available for check-in.
chrisl137 and ffgap like this.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
I've heard of hotels in India that have a check out time 24 hours after check in. That is very user friendly.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
At one full-occupancy hotel recently, I overheard a man, somewhat angry, at the front desk questioning the check-in and check-out policies (at my check-in I was told a reasonable 3pm and 11am timeframe).

It turns out, he was on a three-day stay but because of the totally-sold-out status, he was forced to make three, one-night reservations for slightly different room types (like bed or view differences). Consequently, the hotel was requiring him to move from room to room each night, and they were enforcing the 11am check-out. So his luggage had to be left at the desk for this interim period each day.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 10:24 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by fastflyer
the hotel was requiring him to move from room to room each night, and they were enforcing the 11am check-out. So his luggage had to be left at the desk for this interim period each day.
Guess the property didn't care about the cost of turning three rooms versus making one room work.
uanj, writerguyfl, milski and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 11:50 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
How common are hotel early check-in fees? We recently encountered this monstrosity at a lower-end Hilton suites property in Anchorage. Our flight was cancelled, and we made a booking at the Hilton property. Upon arrival at 11am, the desk clerk advised that the room in question was available, but that there would be a $184.50 "early check-in fee" on top of the already fairly high $369.00 nightly room rate for checking in at that time, rather than at 3pm. I have never encountered such a thing.

To make things worse, we elected to delay our check in, and the clerk stored our luggage. We went to lunch for a couple of hours, and upon our return took a seat in the lobby, waiting for 3pm. Another hotel guest was also seated there. It turned out he had similarly encountered the "early check in fee", and was quite annoyed by it. At 145pm, he had had enough, and approached the clerk, asking if "it was now close enough", and the clerk responded affirmatively,and proceeded to check the guest in. At that point, we also approached the desk and asked if we could be checked in. In neither case was there any additional mention that an "early check-in fee" would apply, and we assumed, based on the "close enough" discussion between the clerk and the other guest that we were in the clear. The next morning, after we left the hotel, we read our emailed receipt and noted that the "early check-in fee" was on our bill.

We later called the hotel, and the personnel there refused to issue a refund. We followed up with a written letter to the hotel, and have escalated to Hilton Honors. So far, HH so far has been inept, first offering 3000 HH points and later 5000 HH points, but declining to offer a refund of the $184.50. At this point we are seeking a refund of the full amount paid to the hotel, namely $619.92, for the one-night stay, under Hilton's supposed "satisfaction guarantee" and from our credit card.

I really hope checking in between 12 noon and 3 pm does not become a new fee opportunity for hotels. That is terrible. I understand landing in SYD at 6 am you need to pay for a room or half a night but a few hours before regualr check-in.

My most unreasonable experience was in Jakarta at a 5-star hotel which had a 3 pm check-in. Even checking in 15 minutes early required paying an extra night and you cold not wait in the lobby with your luggage.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by uanj
I really hope checking in between 12 noon and 3 pm does not become a new fee opportunity for hotels. That is terrible. I understand landing in SYD at 6 am you need to pay for a room or half a night but a few hours before regualr check-in.

My most unreasonable experience was in Jakarta at a 5-star hotel which had a 3 pm check-in. Even checking in 15 minutes early required paying an extra night and you cold not wait in the lobby with your luggage.
My understanding is that the situation in Japan is similar. Check-in time is the check-in time - it may be tempting to criticise in isolation the lack of flexibility, but the rules-based society is a big chunk of what makes Japan such an interesting place to visit.
uanj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.