Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why only one entrance/exit? (at US airports)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why only one entrance/exit? (at US airports)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2021, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
You're off by 30 days.

"Long Beach gets some kind of precipitation, on average, 32 days per year."
https://www.bestplaces.net/climate/c...nia/long_beach
Originally Posted by OskiBear
I live down the road from LGB and I think it's pretty rare for us to have 32 days of real precipitation in a year - at least measurable in the way that it would seem annoying to be outside in it. I dislike walking my dog (or letting her in/out of the house) when it's been raining and in the past year, it's been just a handful of days.
Agree with OskiBear : 32 days / year probably includes drizzle/foggy conditions in Long Beach downtown/harbor. LGB is a bit inland from the harbor.

David
Old Jul 8, 2021, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by ramcm7
I suspect staffing levels play a part. If AA wants to go to one GA per flight in some cases, they probably would have a hassle with multiple entry/exit points. Southwest has a couple gates at ALB. They built a two-jet-bridge setup as a test to see if they wanted to expand to other airports. From my experience, they used the second entry infrequently and I believe they are abandoning it completely, if they haven't done so already.
You are correct. They've received grant money to dismantle the experimental jetbridges and replace them with standard ones. ALB is in the process of replacing all of their jetbridges.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
UA at DEN tried a dual jetbridge idea for a while - during the TED era. Rar!

The second bridge split from the main bridge and went over the wing to door 2L on A320s. Unfortunately, the design failed once, causing the second bridge to plunk down on top of an aircraft wing. Expensive! And the experiment ended then.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 7:44 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
B6 uses front and rear doors in some of it's SoCal destinations and some of it's Caribbean destinations. I used the rear doors many times at LAS when they were in the older terminal.

Originally Posted by jcf27
In the US, services to the public must comply with ADA requirements or provide equivalent access to people with disabilities. I doubt ramp agents in the US would carry people up and down the stairs. Personally, I prefer stairs. Keeps your muscles toned. Also, in the US, people tend to bring the kitchen sink as carry-on. Not efficient at all.
For my B6 flight out of BQN last week, both doors were used (A321). There were stairs in the rear and a ramp in the front. My flight back to JFK had 16, yes 16 passengers in wheelchairs. We were additionally delayed about 15 minutes because of the time it took to wheel those 16 passengers into the plane. They did load the rear while this was happening, but the group A boarding group was stuck on the tarmac watching the procession.

To their credit, the ground crew had a really efficient system of getting the people in the wheelchairs up the ramp and the empty chairs down the ramp. It looks like they had done this many times before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.