Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Welcome to the 2020's, Prohibition is Back (Airline Edition)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2021, 9:32 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Never thought I'd be alive to see a time where airlines got rid of one of their best inflight sale items, alcohol. Here in the US, many air carriers have pushed back the reintroduction of alcohol sales, claiming its based on "more inflight incidents", while brushing under the table claims it's actually based on cost cutting and the "increase" in incidents are almost entirely because of masks.

There are some notable outliers, G4, NK, and F9 still sell alcohol, Delta has brought back a selection of beer/wine/liquor on flights over 500 miles to everyone, United is bringing it back on hub-hub flights and flights over 800 miles. But most Y passengers will not see the return of alcohol for some time.

If it's a cost cutting reason, I have the same opinion I had when COVID broke out. Own up to it. Don't try to tell us it's for "our and the crew members safety" when it has nothing to do with that. I really hope the airlines enjoy passengers (illegally) bringing on their own alcohol, they created this.
cmd320 and strickerj like this.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Prohibition is the act or practice of forbidding something by law, more particularly the term refers to the banning of the manufacture, storage, transportation, sale, possession, and consumption of alcoholic beverages
Did I miss where a law was passed to trigger this?

There are many, many, many places where alcohol is prohibited. Is the Family Section at PNC Park the type of Prohibition you never thought you'd be alive to see?

Where are these "claims it's actually based on cost cutting" other than your statement?
writerguyfl and milski like this.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 8:22 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I thought selling liquor was a revenue play. How would it be a cost cutting to stop raising revenue?
Old Jun 5, 2021, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Delays to remove unruly drunk passengers or diversions due to the same probably cost more than profits from alcohol sales.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 12:56 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I don't think it has to do with masks. Alcohol lowers people's inhibition and makes them more likely to act up.

Given that alcohol sales generate revenue (and at fairly high margins), I would think that this move would actually cost the airlines money.

Bringing your own alcohol aboard is a violation of federal law and carries a fine of up to $11,000.
milski likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
People will just get pissed in the lounge or airport bar.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 11:52 am

Programs: HH Diamond
In my mind I think this was a concession to the flight attendants who might view alcohol as a contributor to the increased harassment that they face in trying to police federal guidelines. They were tasked with enforcing another federal guideline (this one being unpopular and politicized) that tends to really freak some people out, in addition to all the other things they have to do.

It seems like alcohol might make the enforcing of an unpopular federal guideline more difficult.

I feel for flight attendants. We had to add a mask mandate to our dress code in school that we have to enforce every day. It was exhausting and a constant battle and just one more vector for potential conflict and one more thing the attention seeking students could use to start drama. The difference being at least highschoolers will act more mature than some of these people act on planes. Adding liquor to that mix might be seen as making things even more volatile.

maybe when mask mandates are removed by the federal government front line workers won’t be attacked by drunk snowflakes as much for doing their jobs.
artemis and writerguyfl like this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 2:19 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I'm very glad to see these enhanced safety policies and hope they continue.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
For once it seems like the airlines are backing up their cabin crew by not selling alcohol.

I chaperoned a school trip to California and back that flew on Southwest the week before last, and the poor cabin crew were about done in. Any time you gather 100+ Americans together, at least some of them will be of below average intelligence, and those folks seem to struggle with masks.

One couple who dressed and acted like they maybe should have been on a higher class of service than a WN flight out of John Wayne were told in the airport, during boarding, on the plane several times, and finally again once they arrived at Sky Harbor to wear their masks / wear their masks properly. Their responses were rude, and they acted like victims every time. And they wanted to redeem WN drink chits on the flight, which of course made them upset when they could not.

Just sitting near them was exhausting, and the amount of emotional energy they consumed from all around them, but particularly the flight attendants, was enormous. I cannot imagine dealing with them and their fellow travelers all day long while fueled by drinks.
writerguyfl, milski and cblaisd like this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 10:23 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Of all the problems facing us now, this is about a 999 on the list of 1,000. You can't handle going without an alcoholic beverage for a few hours? I'm a definite fan of booze but I don't need an infusion every hour.

You always have the option to fly on an airline that will sell you whatever alcohols you need in flight.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I could take or leave inflight booze, especially on these domestic U.S. flights in Y like we're talking about. Major news outlets like to tie everything to covid because it's clickbait for both sides of the political divide, but if an airline deems their flight attendants and passengers are safer without booze, then I'm fine with that.

I get a little irked when airlines say stuff is for "safety" when it's obviously just cost cutting, but in this case there does seem to be a viable safety angle.
artemis and cblaisd like this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by cbn42
Bringing your own alcohol aboard is a violation of federal law and carries a fine of up to $11,000.
Isn’t the violation for consuming alcohol you bring on board and not just bringing the alcohol on board with no intention of consuming? Before 911, I have returned from trips with bottles of alcohol.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 1:33 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by TGarza
Isn’t the violation for consuming alcohol you bring on board and not just bringing the alcohol on board with no intention of consuming?
That is correct. It is governed by 14 CFR 121.575.

121.575 Alcoholic beverages.
(a) No person may drink any alcoholic beverage aboard an aircraft unless the certificate holder operating the aircraft has served that beverage to him.
Limits on carry-on alcohol are in 49 CFR 175.10 (a)(4).

(4) Alcoholic beverages containing:
(i) Not more than 24% alcohol by volume; or
(ii) More than 24% and not more than 70% alcohol by volume when in unopened retail packagings not exceeding 5 liters (1.3 gallons) carried in carry-on or checked baggage, with a total net quantity per person of 5 liters (1.3) gallons for such beverages.
Of course, the 3-1-1 TSA limits also apply when passing through the checkpoint.
TGarza likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 1:33 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by TGarza
Isn’t the violation for consuming alcohol you bring on board and not just bringing the alcohol on board with no intention of consuming? Before 911, I have returned from trips with bottles of alcohol.
You're right, I worded that badly. It's legal to bring it on board if you can get it through the TSA or buy it post-security. It's also legal to give it to a flight attendant to "serve" you, if they are willing to do so.
TGarza likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 2:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cbn42
You're right, I worded that badly. It's legal to bring it on board if you can get it through the TSA or buy it post-security. It's also legal to give it to a flight attendant to "serve" you, if they are willing to do so.
A few years back, wasn't there a U.S. airline that would actually serve your wine to you? As in, it was well-known enough that there was a policy and at least some passengers knew about it and did it. Every other airline, of course, was like "no, we don't do that."

Maybe Virgin or Alaska? Feels like it was one of the smaller (but not ULCC) players.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.