Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Are your friends and family savvy with booking travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are your friends and family savvy with booking travel?

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2021, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Those who fly with me, know that I pay attention to the details, and there are definitely some tricks to flying right - the experience will likely go smoother in the event of an IRROPS (which they don't even know what that is), with less paid to check bags, boarding earlier, access to lounges and possibly upgraded to first or business with points or miles. So I do sometimes get questions on what I would do. But none have shown much interest in learning the tricks themselves.
Franky16 likes this.
Old May 3, 2021, 3:00 pm

With the exception of one friend no. Most just look for the cheapest fare that gets them from point A to B. Occasionally someone will ask for advice but that's pretty rare.
Franky16 likes this.
Old May 4, 2021, 7:24 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Yeah

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Except for my wife I am not the travel agent for my family and friends. If my wife and I are travelling I do the bookings in consultation with her but will never let her book a trip for us again after a booking she made put me in a middle seat on a TATL. Anyone else is on their own unless they ask for advice otherwise I keep my mouth shut.

Booking travel for a group of friends or family is a no-win situation. When I've done it in the past no one appreciated the effort or there were complaints about this or that.
Reading this thread sounds like a travel agent private-complaint-forum The difference is the TAs get paid (a little) to take the frustration and abuse!
lhrsfo and Franky16 like this.

Last edited by gretchendz; Jun 2, 2021 at 5:49 pm
Old May 5, 2021, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Aside from the FT community, nobody I know is "savvy" in this area. They often look to me for "advice", but then decide to not listen once they realize "some" effort is required.
Old May 10, 2021, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I used to look down (in a mild way) upon friends and family not into this sort of thing, until I realised that they were happier that way. Most seem to tolerate short flights, and don't want to think about them. Most have no idea you can select seats in advance and can't be bothered to try, or even change the auto-chosen seat at check in. Most don't know that lounges exist, have never heard of Fast Track security or any of the other little perks that make my journeys so much more tolerable. Best not to argue, but smile sweetly.
gretchendz, ATOBTTR and Franky16 like this.
Old May 10, 2021, 6:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by gretchendz
Reading this thread sounds like a travel agent private-complaint-forum The difference is the TAs get paid (at little) to take the frustration and abuse!
The other difference is they aren't dealing with family and friends in most cases. The straw that broke my back was booking a return train trip from London to Edinburgh for my wife and I, her sister and husband. Through a little internet searching I found a group rate that got us first class tickets for about £5 more than the standard fare. My sister-in-law ranted about my booking a premium ticket even though I explained the modest price difference. On the trip however she heartily availed herself of the amenities and never expressed any appreciation for the time and effort it took to make the booking. Never again.
Old May 23, 2021, 9:26 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Many of us on FT have higher level status and can tend to forget that even lower-level status within an FF program can be enough to take flying from "miserable" to "bearable/tolerable." At least for US domestic FF programs, even the lowest levels (DL Silver, AA Gold, UA Silver, AS MVP, etc.) offer decent benefits, from checked baggage allowance to preferred seat selection, priority at check-in, security, and boarding, upgrades to Comfort Plus, Economy Plus, Main Cabin Extra, Premium, etc. and sometimes discounts on advance purchases for C+/MCE/E+/Premium, a (supposedly) faster phone line (which can be useful in IROPS), and depending on your travel patterns, even occasional upgrades to F. Another big benefit is IROPS rebooking priority. One of my favorite cases as justification to myself for maintaining even low level status in a slower travel year is, even as a lowly DL Silver Medallion several years ago, I misconnected and was placed on standby for an alternate flight. 55+ people waiting on Standby for 3 seats on that flight. I was #2 on the list, cleared, and made it home for Christmas. 50+ had to find another way to get to where they were trying to go.

Conversely, every time I island hop in Hawaii on HA and have to do so without status, even if things run somewhat smoothly, I'm reminded of why even low-level status can make a world of difference, so in many ways, I can't fault your sister.
This is me, 100%. I fly just enough to maintain AA Gold, but that gets me MCE at check-in (usually) which goes a long way towards making travel more bearable. There is also a noticeable difference to me between Group 4 (Gold) and Group 5 (AA credit card) boarding, at least in smaller non-hub airports. I generally don’t like to get locked into memberships or loyalty programs that influence my purchase decisions, but this is my one exception. I have even purchased a 2-segment trip on AA when I could’ve gone direct on SW because I need every segment I can get to maintain my lowly Gold. Price was comparable and I was reimbursed by my company anyways.

The only time I’ve attempted to offer “insider” advice that was not taken was on a weekend trip with my parents. We had traveled to our destination separately, and on the way home were on the same flight to ORD, then separate to our home airports. The day before we went home, at T-24, I got a free (< 500 mi) upgrade to ORD. They were on Basic Economy tickets, and wanted to check in at T-24 to get their seat assignments. I looked at the seat map (while selecting 1A for myself) and noticed there was only 1 blue (standard) seat open in back, and several open red (MCE) seats. I told my dad to wait awhile to check in until someone else had been assigned the blue seat, which would put them both in MCE. He just wanted to get seats assigned, so he did it anyways. Fortunately he was the one who got the blue seat, while my mom got the MCE seat. She would’ve been irritated with him if it had been reversed, especially after hearing my advice as I upgraded to 1A...
Old May 25, 2021, 5:14 am

No my friends are the worse. Will ask my suggestions do they opposite then wonder why it happened. I’m asked all the time to book things and finding hotels and such because I used to speak on good ideas , trips and prices. Plus I have good hotel and flight statuses. Now I pretend I do not know and will act like I haven’t been traveling it keeping up with these things as much.

You get tired of people who can’t even book correctly or do the research and then then wonder about fees. Or when you are in a trip with them and you book (ungrateful friends and their SO and some family )and they complain about prices and how idk what I’m doing until they got there and used all of the amenities and more.

I saw their faces and didn’t even say anything until the last time ;I got mad and that was the end. Never again. They will be booking their own future trips. I’m going to Tokyo next year. I have a few family going who know they deal and believe me lol they are like ok how much is mine, I can’t wait to see this hotel . The others are on their own. lol I’m forever in awe of people lack of skills.

Last edited by kimikoftokyo; May 25, 2021 at 5:24 am
Old May 25, 2021, 7:05 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by mtofell
Everyone else is the worst.... undoubtedly, because they don't hang out here on FT!!

Seriously, I was pretty good before but have learned A TON here about things. It does kind of make me a travel and booking snob. The top of the "worst" list is my wife. 95% of the time she's with me so it's no problem as I just book everything. On the rare occasion she's on her own it's a total disaster and I have to take over. Amazingly, she once traveled for a living for her sales job but apparently the people in her company did everything for her and just gave her confirmation codes, etc.
I feel you, I am lucky my husband let's me handle the bookings even when we are using his accounts. I try to teach my friends about the benefits of travel rewards but it doesn't go through to them. I also don't book stuff for groups and just let them handle their own bookings and just meet them where we agreed upon. I don't want to deal with people and issues.
Franky16 and mtofell like this.
Old May 25, 2021, 8:19 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I was just dealing with this for a more distant relative (my immediate family has learned from my telling them how to do things over the years and then seeing that it worked well). Fortunately, I was in a patient mood. They were dealing with how to use various credits from cancelled flights on different airlines from last year, and did not even have frequent flyer numbers. Did not really understand the difference between using miles or paying cash, or how the miles on their credit cards could be used to transfer to airlines or used as cash to purchase through the connected travel agencies. And were not technologically savvy. With lots of hand-holding, they eventually got what they needed. But it reminded me of how unfortunate it is that it takes so much insider knowledge to deal with travel efficiently. But that is the way it is.
Franky16 likes this.
Old May 25, 2021, 9:48 am

Two quick bits: a person that I love wants to book a birthday trip for me. For us. We will almost certainly end up in a hotel where I have top elite status. (I have lifetime status with Marriott, Hyatt and Hilton. She has no status anywhere.) Since it's a surprise and her "treat", we will lose out on whatever my status might have brought. I will, of course, not think about this at all. (Is there an FT Counseling Crisis Line?)

I do feel a bit better in that she does have some notion of brand standards. She doesn't read TripAdvisor and conclude that, between a comparably priced Hilton and Hampton Inn by Hilton, the Hilton us a rip-off because there is no free breakfast.
Franky16 likes this.
Old May 25, 2021, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
... Since it's a surprise and her "treat", we will lose out on whatever my status might have brought. I will, of course, not think about this at all. (Is there an FT Counseling Crisis Line?) ...
she could call the property directly and explain to the reservations manager or front desk manager that she is treating her traveling companion 365RW to a special trip ... they can certainly verify your status, and may well be able to manually attach some associated status benefits such as late checkout
obscure2k and 365RoadWarrior like this.
Old May 25, 2021, 11:49 am

Programs: Delta, United, American, Norwegian, Southwest, Frontier, Bonvoy
Trying to get people to change their habits/assumptions/prejudices about travel or anything else is like getting them to change their religion or politics - useless. A friend I traveled around England with a few years ago insisted on getting 1000 - yes 1000 - GBP from her US bank ahead of the trip and toting it around - paying for even hotels in cash, because her credit card charged 3% foreign transaction fee. (And ignored the fact that her bank certainly charged some percentage for exchanging her dollars). Didn’t want to get a different credit card - just because. So she saved maximum $30 and risked losing all this cash or getting it stolen.
Franky16 and Super Mario like this.
Old May 26, 2021, 4:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
Two quick bits: a person that I love wants to book a birthday trip for me. For us. We will almost certainly end up in a hotel where I have top elite status. (I have lifetime status with Marriott, Hyatt and Hilton. She has no status anywhere.) Since it's a surprise and her "treat", we will lose out on whatever my status might have brought. I will, of course, not think about this at all. (Is there an FT Counseling Crisis Line?)

I do feel a bit better in that she does have some notion of brand standards. She doesn't read TripAdvisor and conclude that, between a comparably priced Hilton and Hampton Inn by Hilton, the Hilton us a rip-off because there is no free breakfast.
Is he/she actively accumulating status and points? Otherwise just add your name and loyalty number to the reservation after the secret is revealed.

Even if you do it at the front desk, you'll have only missed a chance at a (usually minimal) upgrade. You can still get lounge, late check-out, etc.
Franky16 likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 12:25 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Of my family and friends who ask me for advice and/or booking assistance, I gladly give it. Of my family and friends who are intent on doing it themselves and go through an OTA, they will bear the responsibility for their own actions!
Franky16 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.