Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

If you put your bag in a bin and it’s now full do you close it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2021, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines

I always do. I wonder why some people don’t. Pet peeve.

Old Mar 28, 2021, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
If flight boarding is done, I will. If not. I’ve seen people use the little space left for a jacket, or something very small, so I’ll leave it open. For reasons detailed below.

When the bin is closed early, people end up opening it constantly checking for space. I’ve seen many people filling a bin halfway, and then closing it. Or FA’s who close some bins until the end to reserve some space.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Common knowledge dictates if the bin is full it’s closed.
Loren Pechtel and skylady like this.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
My pet peeve is when the bin is open, and I've just boarded, and I'm in row 1, and I'm about to put my bag(s) up... and the FA closes the bin right in front of me. Stop killin' my routine, FAs. Go pour us some PDBs instead.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
But that doesn't mean that if the bin is closed, it's full. Sometimes the FAs even intentionally close the F bins to keep Y pax from loading their crap into them. (I had an FA on Friday tell me she did that just for me. It was Republic or else I would have given her an applAAuse cert, she was real nice.)
Old Mar 28, 2021, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by enviroian
You’ve never seen Kettles take up a whole bin with a small bag turned sideway? I don’t know if people are packing bins better these days or not. I’ve only flown 6 segments in the last year. All domestic F, international F and J. No bin concerns at all there.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 3:34 pm

Proper protocol is you close it to make sure your big fat a$$ bag can fit and close and then you open it again so other fools do not see if they can squeeze in another piece of carry on luggage and then your flight attendant walks down the line and closes them all and you smile knowing the bin will close with your over sized big fat a$$ bag.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 3:56 pm

I do not. I agree it makes logical/courtesy sense, but the FAs regulate the overheads. Otherwise, it's subject to abuse by lame passengers (as stated above).
IBJoel, Guate87, bon mot and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
No. I make sure it will close, but then it gets opened back up for jackets, handbags, and other small items
that can still get stuffed in to a “full” bin. And so people can see it’s full, then they don’t stop to open every bin and hold up boarding.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 4:51 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
As this topic is not specific to AA nor related to the AAdvantage program, we will move it to TravelBuzz for more general discussion. /JY1024, AAdvantage and TravelBuzz moderator
Guate87 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 4:54 pm

I don't close it. Mainly because some jack-a--es close overhead bins which still clearly have room. So I believe it is best to leave it up to the FA to close them. The *only* exception would be if I'm last to board in F cabin and the FA has graiously left a space empty for me over my seat and it's the only bin still open, I will go ahead and close it.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 6:34 pm

Leaving the bins open = faster boarding process. No questions about is there space in that or not. I've seen boarding delayed by people opening up bins and checking all the way to the back of the aircraft. I am all about making life easier for the FA, but it is relatively painless to close at the end of boarding. I do like when the FA closes the F bins when the non F passengers start boarding for the reasons stated above. I also think it is smart to test to make sure it can close and then reopen.
mathprof, lamphs, Badenoch and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
I don't close it. Mainly because some jack-a--es close overhead bins which still clearly have room. So I believe it is best to leave it up to the FA to close them. The *only* exception would be if I'm last to board in F cabin and the FA has graiously left a space empty for me over my seat and it's the only bin still open, I will go ahead and close it.
+1

If I could really trust that a closed bin means full, that would be great. But it’s way too common for a bin to be closed when it’s not full, so if overhead bins space is tight, I open them all up to check. Usually find space for my bag, either because someone flat out closed a bin with space or because they thought it was full because they put their rollaboard in sideways or committed other sins. Therefore, it’s easier to tell that a bin is full by leaving it open rather than closing it, even if it really is full: people still boarding don’t know that it wasn’t closed too aggressively.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 6:56 pm

Programs: AS 75K
AFAIK, the bins are the FA's domain and I leave it to them. Many times I've seen them shuffle things around and when bin space if filing up they will make people take the small bags out and put them under the seat. When the bins are closed they can't see what they are dealing with and it can slow down boarding. We may think it's full but it's not our judgement to make. No bin is ever totally full.... there's always something else that can get crammed in
bon mot, TGarza and pmblinn like this.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 7:56 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Yes I close it to make sure it will still latch (after moving all the brag tags out of the way), then I reopen it so late boarding folks can window shop. Of course it's alway the FAs call
DenverBrian likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.