Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

If you put your bag in a bin and it’s now full do you close it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If you put your bag in a bin and it’s now full do you close it?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2021, 11:01 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by pmblinn
I do not. I agree it makes logical/courtesy sense, but the FAs regulate the overheads. Otherwise, it's subject to abuse by lame passengers (as stated above).
Yeah, I honestly didn't even know we were allowed to close them, besides if you really needed to get something out from your bag.
pmblinn likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
I never close them. Someone else may have a tiny bag, or more likely, someone is going to open it later to CHECK if there is any space. I know MINE won't have space or I wouldn't have closed it, but other flyers can be much...more stupid? So leaving it open proves its full.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by enviroian
Common knowledge dictates if the bin is full it’s closed.
Common knowledge is as rare as unicorns these days. :-)
Old Mar 29, 2021, 1:03 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
I never have, solely because if it's closed before boarding is complete, someone will open it to see if there is enough room to squeeze their steamer trunk or Santa Claus sized shopping bag into it. And to be fair, I have seen so many people shove their 80" widescreen TV rollaboards into the bin sideways, only to have someone else come along and re-arrange it wheels out so the other 2/3 of the bin becomes available, that I can't fault people who open the closed bins to see if they're really full, of just kettle full.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 4:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I usually try to close FC bins in order to save overhead space for my seatmate or other FC passengers who arrive late.

With COVID-19, someone might close the bin to avoid having other people touching belongings, or at least to make it a bit more obvious that someone is moving stuff around and possibly damaging stuff. This is from the perspective of DL's seat blocking policy, so bins are rarely full.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LarryJ
If you're on FlyerTalk, you probably know how to tell if a bin is really full. If it is not, or you don't, leave it open.

If there's still room for a small bag or purse then I leave the bin open. If it is really full, I close it. I'll wait until boarding is complete then, if there's room, move my under-seat bag to the overhead.

I don't leave a bin open for a possible jacket placed on top of the bags. Someone with a jacket should know that it can fit in an otherwise full bin and will re-open it.

The FAs have enough to do to prepare for departure without having to close every bin the airplane themselves.
This is where I stand--close if ordinary bags won't fit and there's nothing that's taking up more space than it should. Anybody with something tiny (jacket, purse etc) will know that a "full" bin can still hold such items.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
Common knowledge dictates if the bin is full it’s closed.
Really?

Then why did quite a few people on every flight I've been on in the past 20 years open closed bins to look for space? Maybe they didn't get the memo?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 7:11 pm

[QUOTE [removed by moderator][/QUOTE]

Which slows down boarding, as has been pointed above. Leave the bin open, people can see that their carry-on won't fit and keep walking...
SPN Lifer and DenverBrian like this.

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Mar 29, 2021 at 7:40 pm Reason: The quote had been deleted
Old Mar 29, 2021, 7:22 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
So it's decided then

Common knowledge says we should do whatever feels good and ask the FA for another pre departure drink
enviroian likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 7:38 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Moderator Note: Please refrain from personal attacks in the discussion of overhead bin space. Thanks.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by enviroian (Post # 1)
I always do. I wonder why some people don’t. Pet peeve.
Now we know why the boarding process is so much slower than in years past. 😮

Let us pray that people will learn to leave the economy class bins open throughout boarding, so that we can all get on our way that much sooner! 🙏

FlyerTalkers should all become avid proponents and demonstrators of this "best practice" — including reopening prematurely closed coach bins.

"Do a good turn daily." Each of us should do what we can to make the world a better place. Open those bins! 💚

From now on, I will be on a personal mission to re-open overhead compartments and help us get out on time. 🙂
​​​​​​
CDTraveler likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.