Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you think I did anything wrong with this or was unprofessional?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you think I did anything wrong with this or was unprofessional?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2020, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Even though the OP did not appear to do anything wrong, the fact that 5-10 pax commented means they need to be more discreet next time. For example, was the kid like “Dad this” and Dad that” all the time? Sometimes it is also the appearance of an impropriety that needs to be avoided, not just the impropriety itself.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 6:48 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
I’m going to play the Devil’s Advocate here and put myself in the shoes of a business class passenger who has no idea what’s going on.

Here I am sitting in my seat wondering where’s my Caviar and Krug and I see a cabin crew member that keeps coming back and forth speaking to a very young boy seated in the business class cabin in a friendly manner.

I have no idea why this cabin crew member is doing this but I might be disturbed to see this behavior continue the entire flight. Especially when there is a younger person involved. I have no idea that they are related and traveling together.

You didn’t do anything wrong but perception is everything so in hindsight they might have thought you were bothering the child in a manner that was unprofessional and disgraceful.
WOW !

You would be concerned that crew took special care of a young child who seemed to be travelling alone !

I have been accused of selfishness, but thanks, you make me look like a saint !!
windscar and :D! like this.

Last edited by BRITINJAPAN4; Dec 10, 2020 at 6:48 pm Reason: spelling
Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by nk15
Even though the OP did not appear to do anything wrong, the fact that 5-10 pax commented means they need to be more discreet next time.
Just because you have a group of sizeable people saying something is wrong, it does not make it the truth.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 8:00 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
I see nothing wrong or unprofessional.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 7:10 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4
WOW !

You would be concerned that crew took special care of a young child who seemed to be travelling alone !

I have been accused of selfishness, but thanks, you make me look like a saint !!
You seem to have misunderstood my post... I would not be concerned because I said I'm going to play the Devil's Advocate and try to see this situation from the perspective of a self-entitled business class passenger who seems to not be able to mind their own business.

For what it's worth, I'm in the industry and saw nothing wrong with the OP's behaviour at all.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 10:10 am
Original Poster

I have took my son like this in the past and never had a issue and will take him again.
I did tell him I would try and take him again before Christmas.

He was wearing a mask for the full flight except when he was eating and drinking (non alcoholic obviously).

Originally Posted by Steve Weagant
I have been on Amtrak trains where employees have brought their children along for cross country trips from Chicago to Seattle and on a couple of other trips. I remember the Seattle trip because she had her son help her. But this particular employee was diligent in her job duties and it did not interfere with passengers or my enjoyment of the trip.
aww, that's so nice of her to let her son help her, such a unique experience for him.
one colleague of mine had her daughter help her once when she brought her onboard and she was diligent enough to be sure it didn't interfere with the service or the enjoyment of the flight.

Last edited by JY1024; Dec 22, 2020 at 9:59 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Dec 11, 2020, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nk15
Even though the OP did not appear to do anything wrong, the fact that 5-10 pax commented means they need to be more discreet next time. For example, was the kid like “Dad this” and Dad that” all the time? Sometimes it is also the appearance of an impropriety that needs to be avoided, not just the impropriety itself.
How many people in that cabin didn't complain or even made complimentary comments? More than 7? Paying inordinate attention to a mouthy, mean-spirited minority buys no one anything good.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 11:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Hedgehog7
I have took my son like this in the past and never had a issue and will take him again.
I did tell him I would try and take him again before Christmas.
What was the destination? Is it a place where ordinary British passport holders can currently go for tourism?

Were there any paying passengers on the upgrade list displaced by your son? Or was the flight substantially less-than-full in both cabins and you were able to get your son to J after any upgrades had been processed?
Old Dec 11, 2020, 12:05 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

If more than one passenger complained in flight then I agree with others that we aren't getting the whole story. Everybody believes that their child is giant a sweet little angel that couldn't ever be a problem. Since you don't give any example of the complaints, nor have we heard from any of the passengers we can only guess what this issue was.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by swag
You said you got management approval and followed all policies, so this is more on the airline than on you, but I'm surprised this is allowed.
I'm not aware of any US airline that prohibits family of crew actively working a flight from flying NRSA on the same flight. In fact, I believe pilot spouses may be authorized NRPS to travel on a pilot's retirement flight. For just ordinary flights, pilots and FAs can bring along spouses and children on flights they're working - no "authorization" required at all, but they're not given any special priority over other NRSA pax who want to standby for that flight.

I flew MUC-ATL on DL one Thanksgiving week and am pretty sure that two of the NRSA passengers on that flight were children of one of the cabin crew working J on that flight. Even though the J cabin appeared to be more NRSA than paying pax, I still received great service from that DL cabin crew.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 5:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Personally, I don't see anything in there that would offend me

I do know that there are two sides to every story. While some people are annoying busybodies, I feel like we are not being told something. Outside of political activity, I can't ever recall a time where someone was verbally berated by 5-10 people for no reason.
Aerospatiale likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Something to supplement.

While I understand OP's perspective, the reality is none of us here was on that flight. So we would never know how things were, it is your one-sided story.

Some people are always over-entitled. So if you don't get any complaints at all for the trip, move one.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Everything was cleared with the airline beforehand, hence no real problem (as far as the facts that has been posted say)

Maybe the other pax were just jealous over not having a Mum/Dad to take them along on trips like this
Old Dec 12, 2020, 6:33 pm

What could have possibly happened that would cause 5-10 other passengers to even be *aware* that this person's child was on the flight? What percentage of those who *are aware* are going to speak up? And what is the level of annoyance that exceeds the threshold for speaking up?

Have any of you ever been on an airplane? Think about a long haul business class cabin. Picture yourself standing at your seat. Depending on the seat config, you might have someone sitting in the adjacent pod if you are in the middle. someone ahead, another behind, and someone across the aisle. That's 4. Ten people would be.... 1/4 of the cabin? Even in a 2/4/2 configuration, 10 people casts a pretty wide net.

It just seems to me that for most annoyances, human nature would suggest that the majority of people who are stuck together in a metal tube for 1/3 of a day would opt to silently stew, rather than complain. I can't think of anything short of an FA plopping themselves down next to their kid and *staying there* that would prompt me to speak up.

Then again, maybe the little guy had his window shade open. I know how that fires people up around here.
RI2KH2SU likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by Hedgehog7
Long story short, I work as cabin crew for a major UK long haul airline.

Last week I had a 7 hour flight (which I was working on) and a 2 day layover and then another flight back (which I was working on). With our airline we as staff get 7 free flights a year to use on ourselves. I decided to use 2 of them to bring my son on these flights with me last week as we was going to a destination he really wanted to go to. I got this approved by my managers first who said it's fine as other crew do this regularly sometimes. So I did it and had fun with my son at the destination during the 2 day layover. My son being with me on the flight did NOT interfere with me or any of the other cabin crew doing our jobs like we normally do. My son stayed in his seat for most of the flight.

Lot's (between 5-10) of other passengers commented during the flight saying they thought what I had done was "disgraceful and deeply unprofessional".

Honest answers please, do you personally think I've done anything wrong in this?
Probably so or there wouldn't have been a large number of complaints. Paying passengers should not be able to tell that someone else is a non-rev. There have been times where I knew another passenger was a non-rev because a flight attendant stopped by to chat for an extended period of time. That is a no-no.
LarryJ, SPN Lifer and msp3 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.