Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you think I did anything wrong with this or was unprofessional?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2020, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Long story short, I work as cabin crew for a major UK long haul airline.

Last week I had a 7 hour flight (which I was working on) and a 2 day layover and then another flight back (which I was working on). With our airline we as staff get 7 free flights a year to use on ourselves. I decided to use 2 of them to bring my son on these flights with me last week as we was going to a destination he really wanted to go to. I got this approved by my managers first who said it's fine as other crew do this regularly sometimes. So I did it and had fun with my son at the destination during the 2 day layover. My son being with me on the flight did NOT interfere with me or any of the other cabin crew doing our jobs like we normally do. My son stayed in his seat for most of the flight.

Lot's (between 5-10) of other passengers commented during the flight saying they thought what I had done was "disgraceful and deeply unprofessional".

Honest answers please, do you personally think I've done anything wrong in this?
Old Dec 9, 2020, 7:35 am

If it didn't interfere with your crew's collective ability to do their job and it was approved by your manager, I don't see the issue. Did you get any comments about WHY they thought this was an issue? Did you make a point of mentioning that your son was flying with you? If so, this is the one thing I might not have done in your shoes. This isn't anyone's business but yours.

Just my 2 cents...
Old Dec 9, 2020, 7:55 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Hedgehog7!
I'm moving the thread to TravelBuzz as I cannot see it is directly related to Coronavirus and Travel where it was initially posted.

NewbieRunner
co-moderator, Coronavirus and Travel forum
Sean Brody likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 8:22 am

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by Hedgehog7
Lot's (between 5-10) of other passengers commented during the flight saying they thought what I had done was "disgraceful and deeply unprofessional".

Honest answers please, do you personally think I've done anything wrong in this?
How did the paying PAX even know? regardless if you followed company rules what they is think moot. If they do not like your company rules let them complain to your employer not you.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 8:37 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
You did not say how old is your son in your post. The only issue I would see is if the passengers thought he was getting special services on the plane that were not available to them. But, as a non-rev passenger, you and your son would still have to follow all the rules that your company has. I would have asked one of your colleagues to take care of him and he could stop by the galley to let you know if he needed anything while in flight.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JMorgana
If it didn't interfere with your crew's collective ability to do their job and it was approved by your manager, I don't see the issue. Did you get any comments about WHY they thought this was an issue? Did you make a point of mentioning that your son was flying with you? If so, this is the one thing I might not have done in your shoes. This isn't anyone's business but yours.

Just my 2 cents...
Hi,

The passengers seemed to make it out like the problem was that my son came with me and was on the same flight as me.

Nope,I didn't make a point of mentioning to anyone other than the rest of the crew onboard.

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
How did the paying PAX even know? regardless if you followed company rules what they is think moot. If they do not like your company rules let them complain to your employer not you.
Probably because I did come over and speak (quietly so didn't disturb other passengers) to him for a few minutes every now and again (around once every 90 minutes) and he wanted me to take a picture of him in his business class seat.
And just to clarify he asked me to take a photo once and that was done quietly with no flash as so not to disturb other passengers.

Last edited by JY1024; Dec 9, 2020 at 11:48 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Dec 9, 2020, 8:45 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Hi,

The passengers seemed to make it out like the problem was that my son came with me and was on the same flight as me.

Nope, I didn't make a point of mentioning to anyone other than the rest of the crew onboard.

Then maybe one of your crew teammates was upset and told the passengers instead of saying something to you. If you hear something from your manager about this, then I would think that one of your "friends" is not really a friend.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by teddybear99
You did not say how old is your son in your post. The only issue I would see is if the passengers thought he was getting special services on the plane that were not available to them. But, as a non-rev passenger, you and your son would still have to follow all the rules that your company has. I would have asked one of your colleagues to take care of him and he could stop by the galley to let you know if he needed anything while in flight.
Hi,

My son is 10.
The only special service he got was a photo of him in the cockpit, but this was done when we (crew) boarded the aircraft so other paying passengers wouldn't have been aware.

Both myself and my son did follow every rule our company has.
SPN Lifer and trooper like this.

Last edited by JY1024; Dec 9, 2020 at 11:49 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Dec 9, 2020, 8:56 am

Programs: UA GS
Probably because I did come over and speak (quietly so didn't disturb other passengers) to him for a few minutes every now and again (around once every 90 minutes) and he wanted me to take a picture of him in his business class seat.
And just to clarify he asked me to take a photo once and that was done quietly with no flash as so not to disturb other passengers.
How often did you go around and check if other passengers needed anything? Was it around once every 90 minutes? And how long was the total flight. That is my best guess from the current facts. And even if those customers felt it was unprofessional that they were not checked on as often as your son, then I still wouldn’t agree it was unprofessional.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 9:32 am

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
I wouldn't worry about it. I have taken my children together, and individually many times. On occasion some idiot will complain that my children are taking up a seat a paying passenger could have used, or crack a joke about how I should be flying the airplane, and not talking to my kid for 2 minutes during a bathroom break.

The simple fact of the matter is that someone is always going to have an issue with something, and complain. These people are miserable, and hate to see others happy, and live to make anyone they can as unhappy as they are. Just ignore them. You got approval to take your child with you, and based on the fact you posted this, shows that you take your job very seriously. I'm glad you got a chance to travel with your son!
Jed, SPN Lifer, PDPhoto and 23 others like this.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 9:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Welcome to FT, Hedgehog7!

I'm tempted to guess which airline and which destination, but that aside, I'd ignore what these passengers have said. What business is it of theirs?
Jed, SPN Lifer, CDTraveler and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 10:06 am

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
Personally? I wouldn't have cared unless I perceived there to be a reduction in quality service from you as a flight attendant due to the amount of time/attention you were devoting a family member flying non-rev like this (beyond what you would normally allot to them as a business class passenger for normal service). In the absence of any specific issues I could point to service-wise, I think it would then come down to how frequently you stopped by, how long you lingered at his seat, and whether your conversion was loud enough to disturb others around you.

If as many people commented about this as you suggested did, then I suspect you may have crossed a line in some way. But we've only got one side of the story here, of course, so it's hard to know for sure. Based solely upon what you've said, I don't think anything you did was inappropriate. (Though I will say that stopping by every 90 minutes seems pretty frequent, and I would wonder if you would have stopped by as often if it was an adult relative flying, rather than your 10-year-old son.)
mtofell likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I wonder if this has anything to do with passengers seeing a 10 year old unaccompanied in Business Class? Just a thought.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 10:46 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by eastindywalrus
If as many people commented about this as you suggested did, then I suspect you may have crossed a line in some way. But we've only got one side of the story here, of course, so it's hard to know for sure. Based solely upon what you've said, I don't think anything you did was inappropriate.
This is kind of my opinion - without being there it's impossible to know what people saw and why they complained but if multiple people did then there must have been something. Of course, I also agree that travelers can be some of the most miserable people I ever encounter and will look for the most minor thing to complain about so I'm sure that is a factor also. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just keep it in mind the next time you take him.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 11:07 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
We live in a time of.....

...the easily offended. I wouldn't worry about this for 1 minute.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.