Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waste of elite statuses all around ...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2020, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by gaobest
I’ll still churn cards because of their signup offers
How is this doable with Chase's 5/24 rule? A lot of the cards with good travel benefits are issued by Chase. Any recommendations on non-Chase cards that are churnable?
Old Oct 13, 2020, 12:57 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sfvoyage
How is this doable with Chase's 5/24 rule? A lot of the cards with good travel benefits are issued by Chase. Any recommendations on non-Chase cards that are churnable?
There are still options out there.

Peruse at your own potential peril.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...-programs-390/

I have to say I don't feel like I "wasted" my status too much. Still got 30+ nights in at Marriott properties where I am Titanium.

I am a DL Gold and that got me bumped to F on a BE fare on my only DL flight since March.

I have gotten a couple upgrades on routes as an AA plat.

Scored F the whole way on a ELP-SEA-EWR trip I took last month as a mere AS MVP.

What I miss more is not stressing about how to retain it all, and being on the road 200+ nights a year.

All that status, and planning etc was just part of the everyday hum of needing to be all over the place.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 8:40 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by pinniped
I'll start 2022 with my lifetime or credit card statuses - Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, some low-tier Hyatt status, AA Gold, UA Silver via Marriott. The hotel statuses are worth less and less as lounges and breakfast offerings continue to be hollowed out.
Checked in and got upgraded on the first UA flight I've taken in years, and my pass said "Silver Elite", and I could not for the life of me figure out why until a week later I read something about Marriott (lifetime) Titanium gets you (lifetime, at least until the partnership implodes) UA Silver.

So there's that at least. Made Hyatt Glob several months ago, but gonna struggle to retain AA Plat; mostly because I spent a month at a Hyatt Regency but I drove to that gig and others. We weren't allowed to fly until June.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 4:06 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Opposite for me

Living in a sensible, mask wearing country, I’ve taken advantage of a Bonvoy challenge and low prices, plus gov subsidy, to get Platinum and visit lots of places locally.
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Scott Kiwi
Marriott Bonvoy's Brilliant AMEX card is expensive at $450 annually. But it offered perks that offset that cost, including $300 in travel credits for dollars spent at Marriott properties. But since I am not traveling, this benefit may go unused, thus making the AMEX card pretty expensive. Any ideas on how to get the benefits?
I noted that the free nights I have earned expire at the end of January, 2021. Not sure I can use those either.

Option 1 - are there any 2021 travels where you are willing to book a prepaid rate? (Or at a property that collects a one-night deposit, as some resorts do.) This worked for me on the HH Amex with a similar benefit.
Option 2 - do a staycation at whatever your favorite 50,000-pt Marriott is in SoCal that has a good restaurant in which to blow $300 on food and booze. Or spa, golf, etc. at the hotel.

I never know whether a standalone hotel restaurant bill will post as Marriott or not, but a room charge would definitely count.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
In a normal year, my wife and I do about 12-15 weeks of vacations. With covid, we only managed a few weeks domestically (and that means flying Air Canada - which was bare bones).

Yes, statuses are going to waste this year, hopefully intl travel restarts for us by March/April - then we can still get a full year out of our statuses.

This is my lowest flight/mileage year in almoast all of my adult life. 30 flights, just over 54k miles, lowest since 2004.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 9:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Knowitawe
With more than 150 flights and half that many hotel stays in 2020, I can report that flyer status today gets you on the airplane early but nothing more, really. Empty middle seats make all seats equal when they barely have any beverage or food service. I’m sick of being reminded on the intercom to wear a mask and above my nose and how thoroughly they clean the airplane. Yes. they are much, much cleaner - like they should always be. My future flyer status has been earned (again) this year by flying miles, so in truth, the value of my status is diminished because others will get it extended...for free...and will get upgrades that I earned by being a dedicated customer.
For those of us who have earned our status during 2020 (or will do so before the end of the year), I wish the programs would offer an additional year of status to be used in the future whenever we need it because we have failed to requalify.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For those of us who have earned our status during 2020 (or will do so before the end of the year), I wish the programs would offer an additional year of status to be used in the future whenever we need it because we have failed to requalify.
There are programs that have extended FFP elite status into 2022 already. The way stars seem aligned for the rest of this year, and very carefully only including the first four months of next year (yet), I bet we'll see more programs joining
Old Nov 16, 2020, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
With 109 Hilton nights, 124 Marriott nights and 45ish flights so far in 2020, can confirm that you are not missing anything by not using your status. While the airlines are doing upgrades, that gets you a larger seat to sit in. That's it. DL has brought back beer/ wine in C+ and F on some routes, but not coffee or soft drinks (????). Hotel lounges are closed. Breakfasts are mostly grab and go bags, and being Diamond/Titanium doesn't make a plastic wrapped muffin taste any better.
CodeAdam10 likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 7:49 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
I honestly couldn't care less if I lost my statuses (statii? statipodaes?) now. I had been collecting *G miles for 5 years and only just had enough for two J TATL round trips for my wife and I that we had planned to use for a trip to NYC in December (cancelled, obvs). I'll probably get an Amex platinum card for the lounge access and to hell with the rest of the benefits.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 12:52 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Knowitawe
I’m sick of being reminded on the intercom to wear a mask and above my nose and how thoroughly they clean the airplane. Yes. they are much, much cleaner - like they should always be.
^^This X1000 - I'd be for just throwing people not wearing a mask off the plane at 38K feet as a reminder and skipping the announcement every 15 minutes. And don't forget.... it's all be because X airline "values your safety above all else.... and cares that you get to your destination safely."

To the point of the thread, I'm actually an oddball.... in the past I flew 3-4X a year and never really got any status. With all the chaos in the world my family and I are moving to Hawaii I've been commuting from the west coast and back roughly once/month since the start of the pandemic. So, for the first time I have gained some status and am getting nice perks.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Yeah it sucks but at least most programs provided extensions.

Having LT status helps in that one doesn't have to worry about wasted years, or worry about not doing enough activity to reach for the following year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.