Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waste of elite statuses all around ...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2020, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Waste of elite statuses all around ...

Just like many of you, I haven't stepped on a plane or stayed in a hotel since early March.

Looks like I literally forgot what all elite statuses / benefits I had earned in 2019.

AA EXP, JetBlue Mosiac, SWA CP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, some others.

Feeling bummed, because even with the half-year or full-year extensions given already, I will be lucky to get bare minimum use out of any statuses, if any at all.

Well, in grand scheme of things, it's just materialist stuff...so who cares. Just felt a bit bummed looking at the expiration dates and decided to waste y'all time with my post.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 4:30 am

Programs: CO Gold
I am kind of taking advantage of using some miles from AA that I have...where I am aluminum elite
Old Oct 4, 2020, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Combo of devaluation of redeemable miles and status benefits was enough to push me into a cash back situation with the credit cards. I’ll still churn cards because of their signup offers but I’m valuing cash more than points or miles. It feels even more noticeable since I can’t picture when or how we will fly or lodge. I burned my UAL miles for lodging at a nice place owned by Peninsula and I’m unable to figure out how to use my Hilton points, since we only have stayed at their extremes - embassy suites or WA Grand Wailea.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 7:04 am

Programs: LH HON
I have retained Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist due to necessary business travel and went purely free agent on air travel and it's been refreshing.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Join the rest of us plebs who have to pay for nice stuff!
strickerj likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 7:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'm probably not going to qualify for anything the "normal" way in 2021.

I'll start 2022 with my lifetime or credit card statuses - Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, some low-tier Hyatt status, AA Gold, UA Silver via Marriott. The hotel statuses are worth less and less as lounges and breakfast offerings continue to be hollowed out.

Only outside shot of a real qualification might be WN A-list since I use that for my domestic business trips. But we're already planning 1Q 2021 travel to be soft, and probably 2Q as well.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 10:06 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I rolled over 18K Delta MQMs this year and because of credit card spend, will start next year with something like 35K MQMs so ironically could end up hitting Gold in the program for the first time in 2021 with another round of AmEx MQMs and a modest number of short haul flights next year.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 11:59 pm

Programs: FB Silver, BA Gold; BW Diamond Select, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
Feeling bummed, because even with the half-year or full-year extensions given already, I will be lucky to get bare minimum use out of any statuses, if any at all.

Well, in grand scheme of things, it's just materialist stuff...so who cares. Just felt a bit bummed looking at the expiration dates and decided to waste y'all time with my post.
I agree that we cannot complain about our inability to use travel status given the larger circumstances. Covid will not be a clean 12 month delay of normal travel, so the value of any status extensions are a bit of a crap shoot. We are using this opportunity to limit the hotel programs so to at least have status in one program. Flying is off the table so I expected all of our benefits to fade, and we start over again. Oh well, being retired the actual travel is more important than the airline benefits.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
In the strange world of today's air travel, the only status benefits that are really available are lounge access - and that's not available at quite a few airports. Fast track security has gone, there are no queues for check in and the planes are sufficiently empty that each seat is preferred. In a strange way, the BA North lounge at LHR T5 was better than usual as it was much less crowded and thus was a relaxing space, while the catering was just as good without the endlessly waiting for areas to be refreshed that typifies its normal operation. And the value of getting breakfast there is magnified when so many outlets remain closed.

Meanwhile my *G is totally useless as I can't travel to the US, I generally don't fly to any other countries where *A airlines originate and I won't take connecting flights, so that's gone into total abeyance.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Yes have not been in a Hilton for 9 months or a Virgin plane, and top tier on both.

Weird year.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 6:10 am

Programs: BA, EK, Hilton H, Starwood, A-Club
I managed to get to Silver on BA - an achievement with no business travel since I'm retired. And havent been on a plane since 8th March. I'm missing travelling but the other half doesn't want to step foot on a plane this side of 2022.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 6:22 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Covid travel

With more than 150 flights and half that many hotel stays in 2020, I can report that flyer status today gets you on the airplane early but nothing more, really. Empty middle seats make all seats equal when they barely have any beverage or food service. I’m sick of being reminded on the intercom to wear a mask and above my nose and how thoroughly they clean the airplane. Yes. they are much, much cleaner - like they should always be. My future flyer status has been earned (again) this year by flying miles, so in truth, the value of my status is diminished because others will get it extended...for free...and will get upgrades that I earned by being a dedicated customer.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 7:01 am

Programs: UA, AA, Delta, Marriott
Marriott Bonvoy's Brilliant AMEX card is expensive at $450 annually. But it offered perks that offset that cost, including $300 in travel credits for dollars spent at Marriott properties. But since I am not traveling, this benefit may go unused, thus making the AMEX card pretty expensive. Any ideas on how to get the benefits?
I noted that the free nights I have earned expire at the end of January, 2021. Not sure I can use those either.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 7:12 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
do not cry over spilled milk

I was last on an airplane in September - not March. Next up ? November.
Unlike you, I have been impressed with the status extensions, points deals and flexibility.
You seem to suggest that IF you knew in 2019, you would have done things differently?
I challenge you to identify what you have done differently with the benefit of hindsight ?
i.e. don't cry over spilled milk!
Old Oct 13, 2020, 7:55 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Airline FF programs aren't what they used to be but I certainly still find status valuable, particularly this year when AA significant reduced earning thresholds in addition to holding over status to the next year. Now if I traveled far less I might be inclined to just buy whatever airline had F the cheapest and go that route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.