Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Longest time without stepping on a plane?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Longest time without stepping on a plane?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2020, 11:53 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Until I recently resumed flying it was the longest time with no flights since the mid 1990s for me.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by extramileage
ugh... haven't flown since Feb 21.

Pretty sure this is the longest streak since 2002 and maybe even 1993.

I got a refund on a canceled ticket I'd purchased in late 2019, so my air travel spend is actually negative in 2020.
wow, I flew on 3/8 - that’s impressive.
I too received a refund for ticket bought in August 2019 - even with 2 flights this year, I’m also negative for air travel spend!
ditto with hotel lodging as I had purchased Hilton advance purchase in 2019 and I received the refund in 2020.

My previous drought of Nov 2017-Apr 2018 was about 4 months 1 week. I’m pretty confident that I’ll surpass it this year. I might have had a gap between 4-5 months in 2003, but likewise my last true gap of 6-9 months of flights would be in 1994 or 1995! I can only recall being in Europe for Spielwarenmesse (February) those 2 years although surely I flew somewhere else those years?? This is a good memory-provoking thread.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 3:19 pm

Programs: Alaska, Hilton, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Right now I'm in my longest "air drought" since 1974. I should be on a trip right now that was canceled, and I'm still scheduled for trip in September that will probably have to be rescheduled until spring.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 7:19 am

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Old Jul 14, 2020, 7:52 am

Programs: IHG, M&M, FB, Avios, ALL, etc.
I last flew in mid March, and I don't know when I'll step on a plane again, as I do business with the Americas... I guess I'd have to go back to 2004 or earlier to find a longer period of time without flights.

However, something positive will come out of this situation. I've been wanting to donate blood for the longest time, but I can't because I regularly travel to countries that are on the "black list", and I must let 6 months pass since my last visit. In September I'll be able to do it at last!
obscure2k and stablemate77 like this.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Last flew in mid-February. Next scheduled flight is our rescheduled trip to Japan in March 2021 and don't anticipate much in-between unless there is an emergency. Possibly a December trip somewhere but this new spike has given us pause on doing anything with air travel even looking out to December. Don't expect business travel to return until 2021 at the earliest.

This is by far my longest drought since I graduated college. The last time I came close to this kind of drought was when I went back to get my MBA in the mid 2010s. Though even during that stretch I traveled extensively but due to class schedules typically had 8-10 weeks between travel (e.g., Labor Day through Thanksgiving) and then did most of my travels during various school breaks.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 9:40 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
My last flight was mid-February, so I'm rolling up on 5 months without flying. And as I have no flight plans until early September it'll be at least 6.5 months when the drought breaks. I say at least because the way things are trending in the US even my September trip is in question now.

This is far-and-away the longest I've been grounded since 2004. My previous record drought since then was 8 weeks. Why 2004? That's when I changed careers to technical sales and began flying a lot for work-- and discovered how easy it is to fly for leisure travel, as well. I've always been a traveler; just before 2004 I was primarily a road-trip traveler.

Even my road trips have been in a drought. Until a day trip this past Sunday I hadn't been more than 25 miles from home in nearly 5 months. That's the longest I've been stuck local since... infancy, I believe. Even as a young child my parents took me/us for trips to grandma's house 50 miles away once a month or so.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I went from March 15th til about 10 days ago when I flew to Europe. So about 3 1/2 months. I can report that getting back on an airplane is like riding a bike. But jet lag is no easier than it was before.

Also I restarted long distance train travel on June 1st, up and down the east coast of the US. So really 2 1/2 months without travel which was a long time.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 10:03 am

Programs: United Two Million Miler
Withdrawal Shakes

I returned to the sky on May 9th and had last been in the air on February 24th which was a hiatus of ~75 days. I believe the last time I had that long a gap in my time aloft was in 1985, the year I passed the Bar in California and began flying for business. So roughly 35 years.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 10:26 am

Programs: Alaska, Hilton, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Update: My September trip just got canceled.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 1:14 pm

My 7-1/2 month hiatus is my longest gap since 1985 or thereabouts.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 4:16 pm

Longest was age 0 - 11.

This (since 3/3/20) is probably 2nd longest.---or soon will be.
Forgot to add - now 81.
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by snidely; Jul 14, 2020 at 4:25 pm
Old Jul 14, 2020, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP UA Gold QR Platinum Hilton Gold FB Sinbad
I left London on 10/3/1993 and did not stop travelling until 25/2/2020.. so this is the longest ever period of time without being inside an aircraft or in te the same country. Between 1978- 1993, there was constant travel but to less degree than what was to come later.
I do miss the sensation of entering QR flight, warm towel and clear champagne.
Cancelled MIA to FRF in April. Miami to KUL in March. Not sure when the next trip would be. When I am allowed to enter the destination I suppose
Old Jul 15, 2020, 2:27 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by bennos
At this point, the earliest I expect to get on a plane is August (and that's 50/50), which at about 22 weeks would be the longest gap since I started detailed record keeping.
My August trip is now looking pretty unlikely, and pretty much everything to the end of the year is canceled. My next possible trips are March and June, which would put me at over a year between flights. I think the last time I had a gap that long I might not have been walking yet...
Old Jul 17, 2020, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Well, I lasted 101 days, but there may be another drought later this year to beat my all time record of 119 days without flying for a vacation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.