Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Longest time without stepping on a plane?

Longest time without stepping on a plane?

Old Apr 30, 2020, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
I've been on 9 commercial flights this month. It's not really fun right now, so would be happy to take a little break. None scheduled now til the 15th but that could change. Since I started traveling routinely around 2001, longest time without flying was 4 months.
Old May 1, 2020, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
So far at 42 days since last flight - so if I dont fly anywhere until July 17 - it will be my longest plane-less streak ever.

My longest streaks between flights in my adult life:
114 days (Sep-Dec 2018)
104 days (Mar-Jul 2017)
116 days (Aug-Dec 2013)
119 days (Aug-Dec 2012)
103 days (Mar-Jul 2011)
117 days (Aug-Dec 2008)

Luckily I've never had to fly for work in my life.
Old May 3, 2020, 9:05 am

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Sitting at 45 days since my last flight and while it is nice to take care of things in detail I might not have thought about had I been traveling for work I do suffer from a little flight withdrawal 😁. I have even started collecting model airplanes in this downtime so at least I can pretend to fly somewhere ( wait,I need to buy a model airport to park these model planes ). The next flight I will be on will hopefully be soon but the flight I lost look forward to is to return to my wife in Argentina ( hopefully soon after September 1st when the ban there is lifted ). I will leave you all with this video of me landing into BOS last summer as it’s one of my favorite places to land in the U.S. with downtown so close

Old May 5, 2020, 7:38 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by Chris_G
I'm saving quite a lot of money by not travelling, that's the good news...!!
I was contemplating buying a new iPad, but was thinking "these things are expensive!" Then I realized I've saved several times the cost in canceled travel over the past couple of months (about half of my travel is self-funded business development stuff)...

Anyway, back OT my last flight was exactly two months ago, a short domestic hop DTW-JFK. (Upgrade cleared at the gate!). I have a gap of about that length every year or two, in 2019 I had a gap of about 10 weeks in spring and about 9 weeks in fall of 2017.

At this point, the earliest I expect to get on a plane is August (and that's 50/50), which at about 22 weeks would be the longest gap since I started detailed record keeping.

Last edited by bennos; May 5, 2020 at 7:44 am
Old May 31, 2020, 10:48 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I had some long gaps in 2013. I was working as a 911 operator and police dispatcher and then getting ready to start law school so I focused on work and school. I took no flights between February 17, 2013 and May 3 of that year and at one point I worked 37 straight days. Later that year I had a few gaps of two months with no flights.
Old May 31, 2020, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I surpassed the longest time that I have ever, since birth, not been on a plane a couple of weeks back!
Old May 31, 2020, 5:03 pm

Longest since 2014. I can't wait for all of this to die down to be honest.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 5:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Platinum, and assorted hotel loyalty schemes.
Almost six months since my last flight. This is my longest flightless stretch since I started traveling for work regularly in 2009. I have a trip scheduled for September but that's increasingly looking like it will be cancelled or at least postponed until November. Without any other travel on the horizon I miss the planning almost as much as actually flying.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 10:02 pm

Coming up about 4 months since my last flight... mixed feelings. I'm missing the trips where I had leisure segments mixed with work, but not really missing the short turn-around types where it could be easily solved over a call.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 6:41 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by gr8pirate
Two decades for me.

but more importantly, I haven’t spent this much uninterrupted time with my wife ever, in almost as many years.

Our marriage was built on/around my periodic absences, so it’s a new experience. Almost entirely positive ;-)
I've been working from home for nearly 3 months - I think my wife is getting sick of me
Old Jun 8, 2020, 9:55 am

My last flight was in December so this is definitely my longest without a flight in at least 10 years, probably 15. I'm an accountant so January-March are usually no-fly for me and then I do a big trip in April and just keep going from there. My big trip to end my busy part of the year was Argentina. I was supposed to head there on April 18th... well... that did not happen.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 5:38 pm

No airplane trips between Dec., 1959, and Feb., 1964 (only ships and trains). Since then: lots.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 11:08 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
ugh... haven't flown since Feb 21.

Pretty sure this is the longest streak since 2002 and maybe even 1993.

I got a refund on a canceled ticket I'd purchased in late 2019, so my air travel spend is actually negative in 2020.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 4:18 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
This must the longest stretch since possibly mid 1980s which I have not flown / been on a plane !
My late January trips had to be cancelled & it became evident that February trips were not going to happen either with the evolving situation . Was in Bangkok when Thailand announced her first case of CoVid - 19 !
Hoping borders will be open there so I can do a first test flight , rather unsure with all the restrictions on board though .
Old Jun 10, 2020, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Rarely it’s 4-5 months as the longest time not flying; that last drought was November 2017 to April 2018. My most recent flight was March 8 2020 and I don’t know when I’ll next fly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.