Reload this Page >

Trips You Are Glad You Took

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trips You Are Glad You Took

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2020, 9:33 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
-AMS honeymoon
-Venice and Veneto just last December. (ugh, i get such a heavy feeling thinking about northern Italy now.)
-Istanbul...well, whenever. It's Istanbul!
-Israel (Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, the astonishing craters of Mitzpe Ramon) in 2018. Nice that I flew over in J from JFK!
-A trip to Seoul in J on the old 747
speede racer likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yeah, I almost forgot some memorable rides on the 747 and one of the last DC-9 flights. Doing MSP-NRT on PMNW in IFC when there were still the Asian flight attendants who wore kimonos during the flight.

I've been in Wuhan, much of northern Italy, Barcelona (great experiences) and elsewhere throughout Spain, everywhere in Western Europe except Finland (including Andorra, Monaco, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, etc.), Taiwan, Israel, so most of the hot spots except Iran, including of course the Seattle area, the Bay Area including Silicon Valley, different places in the LA area, Detroit (including downtown), NOLA, NYC and surrounding areas, southern (and other parts of) Florida, all multiple times. Much of this was business travel, but I'm still glad I had the opportunity to do it.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 9:52 am

I can think of 17 of them. Every year from the age of 2 months to his senior year in high school, my son and I would go to spring training in March. West Palm, Vero Beach, Orlando, Tampa, Sarasota, Fort Myers, Melbourne, Phoenix.... it was something to look forward to every year. It started out being something for him and I think ended up being something he tolerated for me.

I have been many places, but I would most prefer to take a spring training trip again.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 9:57 am

Programs: Delta
Last summer to Italy. Married a couple of years ago and wife and I decided to take our dream trip now (we're mid-50's) instead of waiting for retirement. Treated ourselves and flew D1 which was great. Glad we got those two weeks in and reached gold status from the trip which has already been beneficial this year. Until now that is....
Old Apr 2, 2020, 10:09 am

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by rylan
I'm glad I took trips to a few of the destinations that DL no longer serves... SIN, NRT, GUM, ROR. And also glad that I was able to take a last trip on the 747 before they retired.
+1

Anything involving lines on the route map that are no longer in existence always seem to tug at me. I’ve done DXB/KWI/TLV-ATL, DTW-HKG, JFK-BUD, and all of the Asia / interport cities twice-over. ROR always seemed like it was the end of the rubber band of the network, so to speak.

I flew SFO-PIT on a legacy US Airways 757 about 2 weeks before 9/11. I'll always remember that trip as the last trip I took "before the world changed." Now, I suspect my trip to DXB (via AMS and SVO) last month for a cruise will carry the same awkward feeling when I reminisce, seeing the dark clouds forming on the horizon.
speede racer likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 10:16 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
I'd been collecting Skymiles since I was in college and finally blew them all on a roundtrip business class ticket to Australia on VA. Melbourne was such a wonderful experience and I got to see SYD for NYE. More significantly, I spent about two weeks hiking on the beautiful south island of New Zealand.

It took me months of searching to get the outbound LAX-BNE flight booked. I could only ever find terrible routes home - e.g. SYD-PVG-CDG-USA - which I booked anyway. Sure enough, while on the trip and 3-4 days prior to coming home, SYD-LAX opened up (whew!). That's also when I knew I belong on FT.com
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 11:59 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I've had so many wonderful trips and way too many to list them all, but I'll just mention a couple here:

1. Two weeks in Kenya visiting several national parks. I was able to use miles to fly a friend and I out and then we had a solo guide for just us two. Such an amazing trip
2. Two weeks in Turkey back in 2000. We traveled around the entire country. The art, culture, dance, food, just wow
3. A spur of the moment trip right after planes starting flying again after 9/11. I asked a friend if she wanted to go out for a Guinness. She said sure. I said, let's get it in Dublin. 48 hours later we were on a plane from NYC to Dublin, and even got upgraded to first, for just $200 round-trip. We stayed two days and just had a blast.
MSPeconomist and speede racer like this.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 12:24 pm
Formerly doc4science

Programs: United Airlines Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Probably my favorite trip so far was last summer to Quito Ecuador, the Galapagos, and the Ecuadorian Amazon. The UIO airport in Quito is an interesting approach because of its altitude and mountainous terrain. Overall a great trip (especially the Amazon)!
Old Apr 2, 2020, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM
Many favorite trips. Usually I travel alone but my significant other has been able to join me recently, to BOM (on the inaugural flight) and to SIN (via ICN immediately after COVID outbreak; returning on a re-route through CDG, probably the CDG-JFK leg was the most dangerous in terms of COVID exposure, with seat mates returning from Italy). MVD (Montevideo, Uruguay) was really fun. And I remember a day trip back in the day, SEA to JNU (Juneau) first thing in the morning, a day hike into the surrounding hills, then KTN (Ketchican) and WRG (Wrangell) back to SEA in the evening, flying Alaska but getting mileage credit on Delta (I think...); the return had short segments barely reaching 10k feet, really sensing how fast the plane is moving and providing excellent scenery.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 2:19 pm

Programs: Delta 5.5mm, UA, AA 1.mm, Hilton Diamond Hyatt, Marriott
This thread reminded me of the amazing trips that my husband and I have taken since the frequent flyer program began. My husband is a 5 1/2 million miler with Delta plus a few million miler with a couple competitors. As fast as he earned those miles I spent them on travel with our kids to all the far flung places I dreamed about as a child. We are retired now but still traveling. Delta has been the main reason that we have been to 98 countries in our 50 year marriage. In the last 2 years alone we travelled to Bhutan, the Orkney and Shetland Islands, Cambodia and Vietnam, HongKong, Raja Ampat, Belize, Myanmar, Quebec, Thailand, Laos, Greek Islands, South Korea, and Singapore. We are long time scuba divers and have spent many hundreds of hours beneath the sea all over the world again thanks to Delta. Travel is a passion with us. There's so much to see, learn, experience and a wonderful opportunity to appreciate the differences in people as well as the many things we have in common with most everyone across the world. We were stuck in Greece during 9/11 but what a wonderful place to be "stuck". Once this pandemic is over we will be continuing our travel adventures and Delta will be up and running and life will go on as it has. Please remember to be kind and patient to others and to keep yourself and your family safe. It's a big, wonderful world out there so go see it and don't wait until you're old to do it!
Cris L and speede racer like this.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 7:12 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Going to HKG in DL metal in 2018, a few months before they announced they'd be pulling out of the market.

BCN-JFK-SFO on DL metal, when they were still rotating the 767 on the JFK-SFO leg (got a full set of 3 seats to myself in Y in the center group of seats, so that plus the complimentary meal worked as a poor man's F!)

Anytime I've been on a B717/Mad Dog/(and I think DC9s on NW if I go back far enough) - I appreciate them more now as they've been getting phased out.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 8:30 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
Last August, went skiing at Valle Nevado in Chile for 5 days. SEA-SFO-ATL-SCL-ATL-PDX-SEA. Flight from ATL-SCL was grossly oversold, and gave up my seat for an $800 Amex gift card.

They had a terrible winter and snow was not great, but had the best time and my, are the Andes beautiful. Hoping to go again in August, but not hopeful with the current situation.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 12:43 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Bagging an F seat upstairs on a 747 DTW-MCO in the run-up to Irma. Probably the most insane trip I ever took (I'm still sore/sad I didn't drag my brother along), I ended up spending the evening at WDW with a friend who had evacuated from South Florida (since WDW is actually a pretty good place to ride out a hurricane) and then heading home the next morning. The picture I got in the cockpit is actually one of the few I have on my FB account.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 8:14 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Back when I was in law school I got a week's spring break in March.

- March, 2015: Back when Delta still flew SEA-HKG. I flew RDU-MSP-SEA-HKG-SEA-DTW-RDU for $870. It was my first trip to Hong Kong and first trip to Asia since 2003. I used all the Hilton points I had to stay at the Conrad HK back in the last year Diamond meant something. I got an upgrade to a 58th floor corner harbor view suite and had an amazing few days in HK. Better still RDU-MSP was oversold and I got a $600 voucher to take the next flight and sit at RDU for two hours instead of MSP.
- March, 2016: My last spring break. I used 140,000 DL miles for RDU-MSP-ORD-ICN on DL/KE in J and ICN-DTW-ATL-RDU on DL in J. I stayed at the Conrad Seoul, two of my friends came along, we also went to Busan and Fukuoka and I got to take my only trip on the DL 747-400.

Now when I travel I still have to worry about work. These were among my last stress free overseas trips.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Trip to Europe with wife, returning from AMS.

Upper deck of 747, as final retirement of these wonderful planes approached.

While waiting for boarding to complete, a wonderfully gracious gesture from the Captain produced a photo of me in the pilot's seat with my wife in right seat.
speede racer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.