Wiki Posts
Search

Seatmate cleaned MY seat!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2020, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Seatmate cleaned MY seat!

I was seated in 12D (aisle) in a 3-3 layout yesterday, UA from Newark to Fort Lauderdale. An old-ish couple (around 70?) arrived for seats 12E and 12F, so I got up to give them space to take their seats. The woman took out a canister of disinfectant wipes and wiped down her entire seat (window), as well as the armrests and the video monitor and the surrounding area. She then did the same for her husband's seat (middle). He whispered to me something like, "You see what I have to put up with?" I figured that was the end, when she proceeded to wipe down my seat and the armrests. I was so surprised that it took a few seconds to appreciate what was happening. By then, she was done and they both took their seats. I waited a few seconds to make sure mine was dry before sitting.

I thought about confronting her, but I am typically non-confrontational. I think the husband exchanging a word with me also made me feel bad about saying something. After that, they were excellent seatmates (quiet, stayed in their own space, etc.). I can also appreciate that people are a little more nervous than normal at present. They weren't the only ones wiping down their seats.

Just wondering how others would have handled.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by CopperSteve
I was seated in 12D (aisle) in a 3-3 layout yesterday, UA from Newark to Fort Lauderdale. An old-ish couple (around 70?) arrived for seats 12E and 12F, so I got up to give them space to take their seats. The woman took out a canister of disinfectant wipes and wiped down her entire seat (window), as well as the armrests and the video monitor and the surrounding area. She then did the same for her husband's seat (middle). He whispered to me something like, "You see what I have to put up with?" I figured that was the end, when she proceeded to wipe down my seat and the armrests. I was so surprised that it took a few seconds to appreciate what was happening. By then, she was done and they both took their seats. I waited a few seconds to make sure mine was dry before sitting.

I thought about confronting her, but I am typically non-confrontational. I think the husband exchanging a word with me also made me feel bad about saying something. After that, they were excellent seatmates (quiet, stayed in their own space, etc.). I can also appreciate that people are a little more nervous than normal at present. They weren't the only ones wiping down their seats.

Considering the current climate with the corona virus (and seeing how some passengers treat the equipment) I would not object to some assistance with cleaning my seat. The fact that she did it for a complete stranger is a new twist to the story.

If you objected to it, you could have just said thanks, I already did that. That would have ended the issue.
Redhead, weero, kthpence and 9 others like this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 8:04 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott LTT + Ambassador
confronting her about what? I'd have thanked her.
Redhead, swag, pilgrim and 36 others like this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 8:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I had something similar happen when a woman beside me pulled out wet wipes and began maniacally wiping down everything around her including the opposite arm rest, inflight magazine, safety card, tray table, IFE screen. She then politely asked me to lift my arm to wipe to down the shared armrest to which I agreed. I drew the line when she wanted to wipe MY tray and screen too.

The remark to the OP by the woman's husband suggests this is pattern behavior and not a response to coronavirus. Anyone who would scrub down a seat going from Newark to Fort Lauderdale due to a virus in China should fall into the category of mentally unbalanced.
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 10:24 am

something similar happened to my flight couple weeks ago. I was sitting in the aisle seat in a row of 2 seater. I had already boarded and got myself settled in. Just as the plane was about to close the door, a very attractive and well dressed lady was rushing to board and was my window seatmate. When she sat down, she started wiping down her arm rest, screen, trays, everything. Then she took out her purell hand sanitizer and started cleaning her hand.
After she was done, she took the purell and motioned it towards me clean my hands as well. Kinda weird, its not like I was going to be touching her. But whatever, doesn't hurt to be sanitized.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 10:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CopperSteve

Confronting her with what? A 'thank-you' followed by some dry-wit?
Old Feb 10, 2020, 11:27 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Wouldn't have bothered me...
Flapjacks likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 11:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Commie
something similar happened to my flight couple weeks ago. I was sitting in the aisle seat in a row of 2 seater. I had already boarded and got myself settled in. Just as the plane was about to close the door, a very attractive and well dressed lady was rushing to board and was my window seatmate. When she sat down, she started wiping down her arm rest, screen, trays, everything. Then she took out her purell hand sanitizer and started cleaning her hand.
After she was done, she took the purell and motioned it towards me clean my hands as well. Kinda weird, its not like I was going to be touching her. But whatever, doesn't hurt to be sanitized.
My initial response would be a pleasant "no thanks."
Old Feb 10, 2020, 11:54 am
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I’d just say thanks!, And then go post a thread about it on flyer talk.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Wouldn't get any complaints from me
Flapjacks likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Thanks for all the replies.

I just found it odd as I wouldn't think to do something like that for someone else without asking permission first.
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Badenoch
I had something similar happen when a woman beside me pulled out wet wipes and began maniacally wiping down everything around her including the opposite arm rest, inflight magazine, safety card, tray table, IFE screen. She then politely asked me to lift my arm to wipe to down the shared armrest to which I agreed. I drew the line when she wanted to wipe MY tray and screen too.

The remark to the OP by the woman's husband suggests this is pattern behavior and not a response to coronavirus. Anyone who would scrub down a seat going from Newark to Fort Lauderdale due to a virus in China should fall into the category of mentally unbalanced.
I'd be more than happy to let a stranger (unless he/she looks like a total weirdo and uses weird stuff to clean/wipe) clean up my seat, considering how many germs are travelling on aircrafts.

Knowing how easy it's for a common cold to spread around (or worse.. American H1N1 flu killed hundredthousands in it's first season and keeps killing tenthousands every season, but is now considered "part of seasonal flu" due to the failure to confine it originally.

Media one-way reporting.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...-pandemic.html
MareLuce likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 1:04 pm

I do the same for my seat, I mean wiping it down with Lysol wipes and I never get sick traveling. In fact, I am seldom sick.
If someone else will do this for me, I would thank him/her. What's the harm?
Flapjacks likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 1:26 pm

I'd be grateful, but would draw the line if she started wiping down me too.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Badenoch

We can't attribute her actions to coronavirus fears based simply on the OP. It's also flu season - add that to the fact that they're older and perhaps more susceptible to any sort of infectious disease.
writerguyfl and Flapjacks like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.