Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Random Question: Flight Crews Staying far from Airports?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Random Question: Flight Crews Staying far from Airports?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2019, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've seen various ME3 crews in the HGI I stay in regularly in Manhattan. (Midtown East) I choose this hotel because it's reasonably quiet, usually midprice in the range of Manhattan hotel choices, and in a good location for my office. I can see where crews would like it...it's far from the Times Square tourist crowd, too small to host a boozy conference, has an nice easy-to-use breakfast area, and probably has better crew rates than the large hotels. Clientele is business travelers mainly, including quite a few UN visitors. It's not the Ritz, but it's an oasis of sorts.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Many flight crews stay at the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum in London which can be an hour's drive in traffic. You'd think it would make more sense to have crews at airport hotels.
Some union contracts specify that crew stay downtown rather than being stuck at an airport hotel far from everything. However, I know of cases where there were disruptions or safety issues and crews were moved to airport properties in order to be away from the disturbance and closer to the airport in case roads were blocked etc. In extreme cases, some airlines tell crew not to leave the premises or they even ferry the aircraft with crew to a nearby airport that's considered to be safer for crew and aircraft. [IIRC there have been reports of BA doing this currently with their BEY flights parking at LCA.]
Old Oct 27, 2019, 9:31 am

Where the crew are represented by a union that union will generally have a committee of hotel inspectors who work with airline management to select the properties (e.g. Hotel).

Here's what a solicitation looks like from Air India: http://tenders.airindia.in/uploads/P...20-PARIS_0.pdf. That's pretty standard stuff for such a request.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.