Reload this Page >

No carpets in new hotel rooms

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No carpets in new hotel rooms

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2021, 8:28 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles Diamond. Skyteam Elite Plus. Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
If you had any idea what is living in hotel room carpets you'd be applauding this trend.
DenverBrian and lamphs like this.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I'm somewhat indifferent re: carpet vs. no carpet... I usually wear slippers provided by the hotel anyway.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 1:53 pm

My mother and I recently had connecting rooms in a no-carpet hotel. She thought it was weird and I loved it. She said her feet were cold so she now is the adopted owner of a paid of my Bombas and all is well in the world.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by born sleepy
The former Minneapolis Le Meridian Chambers (RIP) had heated flooring in the bathroom! That felt amazing.

I'm fine with either carpet or hard flooring. The foot-clomps from above I alleviate by getting a room on a hotel's top floor. Doesn't matter what's on the floor if there's a litter of overstimulated kids upstairs.
At the major chain hotels in Scandinavia and at many a house and apartment in the region, the floors of the bathrooms often feel heated even as — or maybe because — it’s pretty common for the bathrooms to be wet-floor bathrooms/wetrooms. And even to this day, a lot of stuff that goes on around Minneapolis seems to seek inspiration from Scandinavia. [Sort of amusing given a higher proportion of Minnesotans nowadays may have German ancestry than even Scandinavian ancestry, but German bathroom floors seems to be less likely to be heated than Scandinavian ones.]

Hard floors can be heated in the living areas too.

Hotels often select carpets with colors and design patterns — and even select lighting — so as to mask not only normal wear and tear but even stains and general nastiness. The less frequently a hotel “needs” to change the carpets, the longer they can postpone paying to replace it. Badly damaged wood, tile or even laminate floors are harder to hide unless really toning down the light exposure.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Hotels often select carpets with colors and design patterns and even select lighting so as to mask not only normal wear and tear but even stains and general nastiness. The less frequently a hotel needs to change the carpets, the longer they can postpone paying to replace it. Badly damaged wood, tile or even laminate floors are harder to hide unless really toning down the light exposure.
So that's why my hotel rooms are so dark. Stain hiding!

David
Old Sep 30, 2021, 9:03 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Hotels often select carpets with colors and design patterns and even select lighting so as to mask not only normal wear and tear but even stains and general nastiness. The less frequently a hotel needs to change the carpets, the longer they can postpone paying to replace it. Badly damaged wood, tile or even laminate floors are harder to hide unless really toning down the light exposure.
AA decided I needed to spend another night in SLC so they put me up at a TRU hotel. The garish carpet and dazzling lights in the hallway won't hide anything. The room has vinylwood but I've yet to see a hotel without carpet in the hallways. Seems like vinylwood would last longer than carpet and exhibit less visible shmeg, and my stupid 75lb tool chest would roll a lot more easily.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
AA decided I needed to spend another night in SLC so they put me up at a TRU hotel. The garish carpet and dazzling lights in the hallway won't hide anything. The room has vinylwood but I've yet to see a hotel without carpet in the hallways. Seems like vinylwood would last longer than carpet and exhibit less visible shmeg, and my stupid 75lb tool chest would roll a lot more easily.
So how did the vinylwood handle the display of visibe shmeg and your stupid 75lb tool chest?

David
Old Oct 3, 2021, 10:52 am

Carpet in hallways is necessary to help dampen the noise generated (well, that can be dampened) by other guests in the hallway. Can you imagine all the click and clack generated by your 75lb tool chest? You've already got kids/teens/idiots squealing and shouting up and down a lot of hallways at inappropriate times of the day. Now add on luggage and other hard wheeled items and people can't get rest. Inside the room the noise can be limited to a point. But common hallways where there are rooms not so much.

Now whether garish carpet and dazzling lights help or not, that's a different story.
MissJ likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 1:31 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Originally Posted by krispy84
This is an eye-opening thread for me. I knew some people preferred hard flooring to carpets, but had no idea that carpets could be seen as “ewww”, “gross” and “disgusting”.

There’s a northern UK expression that I think fits well here: “There’s nowt so queer as folk.”

Just think about where your shoes have been all day, then you go to your room and that gets absorbed by the carpet, repeat 365 times a year, ok a vacuum most days but a clean ?

I think anyone who does not find carpets eww is rather strange, an another reason to understand why in Japan you do NOT, ever, wear outside shoes, inside.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4
I think anyone who does not find carpets eww is rather strange, an another reason to understand why in Japan you do NOT, ever, wear outside shoes, inside.
It's an asian thing, not just Japanese (although they're more obsessive about it). In my family everyone even has a box full of slippers for guests. And if you walk around the HDB flats in Singapore, you'll know who has guests by the number of shoes just outside the door.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
It's an asian thing, not just Japanese (although they're more obsessive about it). In my family everyone even has a box full of slippers for guests. And if you walk around the HDB flats in Singapore, you'll know who has guests by the number of shoes just outside the door.
I agree that in general it's an Asian thing, but I've always felt that with the Japanese, it's somewhat embedded in their ethos/architecture/etc... I'm not aware of any other Asian culture that dedicates an official word for the shoe donning/doffing area like the genkan.
But I'm splitting hairs I guess... I agree, it's an Asian thing!
Old Oct 8, 2021, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4
Just think about where your shoes have been all day, then you go to your room and that gets absorbed by the carpet, repeat 365 times a year, ok a vacuum most days but a clean ?

In Sweden, it’s pretty commonly the case that outdoor shoes are not worn inside the homes. Reminds me of South Asia and East Asia in that regard. The floors tend to hold up better because of it.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 9:04 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
This is an eye-opening thread for me. I knew some people preferred hard flooring to carpets, but had no idea that carpets could be seen as ewww, gross and disgusting.
Those people probably haven't seen the studies showing that a hard floor is much more efficient at transferring bacteria, etc, to anything dropped on it that carpet is.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 9:52 am

Programs: AA EXP - 1 Million Miler, Marriott - LT Titanium Elite, United Premier Silver
This is an eye-opening thread for me. I knew some people preferred hard flooring to carpets, but had no idea that carpets could be seen as ewww, gross and disgusting.

Theres a northern UK expression that I think fits well here: Theres nowt so queer as folk.
It's eye opening for me for the opposite reason. I can't believe the number of folks who actually like those disgusting, rarely cleaned, allergy inducing carpets in rooms. I've fallen in love with Marriott's AC Hotels because they're built without carpets.
Hotel carpets (and sofas and chairs....I place a sheet down prior to sitting on them) have disgusted me for so long that I have a pair of cheap slippers (and "flip flops" or "thongs") in the front pocket of my roller board bag. I pick them up at Dollar Stores. I won't dare let my foot touch carpet in a hotel then climb into the bed. Yuck lol. (I actually wear them regardless of carpet or "wood" but you get the point)
Old Oct 12, 2021, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
It's a combination of cost - replacing carpets every x years is expensive, and it takes longer to vacuum than to Swiffer - and current trends among the core 18-34 age group.

These folks seem very "ew" about carpet - allergies, filled with dust, perceived as dirty even when clean.
It is impossible to really clean carpet.
MiscMel70 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.