Wiki Posts
Search

No carpets in new hotel rooms

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2019, 8:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MissJ
Exactly. I keep my floors clean. As for hotels, who knows what happens in there. Things get spilled, dropped, splashed, tracked in on shoes, and it's left up to someone else to keep it clean. I have no idea how often your average hotel deep cleans their carpets. In a space used by strangers, I would much rather the floors be as easy to clean as possible.

I like wood floors in my own home just because of the look as well as the ease of cleaning.

I could similarly ask what in the world you are doing to make your hardwood floors not look nice. Mine look great. My current house is all hardwood with tile in the bathrooms. My last house had gorgeous 115 year old Douglas fir floors in all rooms except for one. And the house before that was hardwood on two stories and carpet on one. I have always found the wood areas of my houses easier to keep clean.
In case you weren't aware, I live in Florida, Florida has a lot of sand. Sand is an abrasive material that doesn't play well with real wood. I take my shoes off as soon as I come in but the dogs track it and all other types of debris in. And I'm not going to make guests take their shoes off. So the wood floors don't hold their shine for long. Ceramic tile, which is in the kitchen, laundry room, and bathrooms, is much more resilient and easier to maintain than the wood floors. Carpet in the bedrooms and secondary rooms works fine too since it's of good material and maintained. I don't use cheap plastic crap vacuums that clog after the first use. My central vacuum will such the paint off the walls. No flooring is inherently nasty. Just people.
not2017 likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 10:27 am

And you prove my point. People and animals track in all kinds of things. If you are in charge of cleaning it, you do, but in a hotel you have no say over when or how something is cleaned.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 2:47 am

Programs: AS MVPG (R.I.P. 75K), DL, HH Gold
Which is why I always travel with a pair of suede, soft footbed Birkenstock clogs – they pack down nicely and feel great on my tired, end-of-the-day feet. They also double as non-slip slippers and make a quick trip to the lobby a breeze. As such, I don’t have to worry about the state of my hotel floors.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
There's a room type for everyone. Personally I do proactively choose rooms with hard floors of any kind to limit my allergies, so having options without carpets is really nice
Redhead and MissJ like this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 9:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I've spent a huge amount of time in hotels with carpeted floors in the guest rooms, but I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen equipment being used for deep cleaning hotel guest room carpets. I wouldn't be surprised if the hotels' desire to clean the room carpets very extensively dropped with higher occupancy levels.

In more recent years, it seems like even regular vacuum cleaning of hotel guest room carpets has become less frequent in the rooms than it used to be.
Loren Pechtel, MissJ and not2017 like this.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 2:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mikew99
I travel with what I call a "bed mat": A cheap, thin, small cotton rug that I picked up a few years ago in Mexico. It doesn't weigh much but is great when placed next to the bed in a hotel room with a cold, hard floor.
I tend to use an extra bath towel (from the hotel). The white reminds me of the white linen mats that some luxury hotels place next to the bed as part of their turndown service. It solves the problem of not wanting my bare feet to touch the floor or carpet when I'm trying to find the slippers. It also provides a good spot for changing clothes, again as I don't want my bare feet to touch the floor/carpet in a hotel.

IME a lot of beach resorts are uncarpeted. I love the dark wood floors (mahogany I believe) that I've seen in Australia and they surprisingly don't seem hot and heavy.
not2017 likes this.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Apr 1, 2021 at 3:05 pm
Old Apr 2, 2021, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I had a Hyatt property in Asia that had recently been remodeled. The hardwood flooring was bamboo based, and it was like I was skating on it when barefoot.

I fell and injured my knee the second day. I had to wear my shoes when walking on it for the rest of my stay, to not have a repeat fall. Ive had plenty of other wooden floors with no problems.
There's a Best Western in Pennsylvania that's lucky I didn't sue them. The room had that hideous faux wood flooring and the housekeeper left puddles on it when she mopped. I slipped in one and went down hard, twisting an ankle and acquiring several large bruises.

I'd rather take my chances with grubby carpet. I grew up going barefoot 10 months out of the year, and don't worry too much about germs in carpet - my feet are washable.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 3:29 am
Suspended

Carpets are definitely not slippery like hard, non-carpeted floors.

Don't the more serious slips in hotel rooms usually have something to do with the hotel bathrooms? Most all of those hotel bathrooms nowadays are not carpeted, and I appreciate that they aren't carpeted.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
If you thought the trend to hard surface floors was popular in 2019, imagine a COVID and post-COVID world. I doubt there's a major chain that isn't considering all hard surface floors for all future renovations, now that we're in a world where daily housekeeping service has been strangled - and likely will be for good going forward.
not2017 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 3:15 am
Suspended

I always felt carpets are less hygienic than hardwood or laminate. So I approve of this trend.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 3:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
If you thought the trend to hard surface floors was popular in 2019, imagine a COVID and post-COVID world. I doubt there's a major chain that isn't considering all hard surface floors for all future renovations, now that we're in a world where daily housekeeping service has been strangled - and likely will be for good going forward.
Carpets were often chosen to try to cover up how dirty the floor may be -- think stain-masking coloration/patterns for the carpets.

Do non-carpeted floors equate with housekeeping staff being able to more quickly make the room look clean? If so, it would have been inevitable that more and more hotels would migrate away from carpeted floors.

But there is one thing to be said for carpeted floors. Carpeted floors dampen noise more than hardwood floors.
not2017 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 8:43 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
I've definitely seen some gross carpets at Hotels, and probably would have found worse if I actually inspected it. Much easier to keep hardwood clean in a hotel.

For my home, I prefer carpet in the non-kitchen area. I don't want to live in a huge echo chamber.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 10:56 am
Suspended

Do any of the major US hotel groups have brands where the brand standard -- at least for new-builds -- forbid the use of carpets in the guest rooms?
Old Apr 3, 2021, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
There's some major flaws in that scenario.

First, the chance of contracting COVID from the floor is minuscule if not downright impossible.

Second, a dirty hard surface shows the dirt much more than the same amount of dirt on carpet, and you can feel it underfoot. So in a reduced housekeeping world, why would hotels choose the surface that needs more cleaning to look equally clean? And will likely skyrocket the noise complaints?
Old Apr 3, 2021, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
There's some major flaws in that scenario.

First, the chance of contracting COVID from the floor is minuscule if not downright impossible.

Second, a dirty hard surface shows the dirt much more than the same amount of dirt on carpet, and you can feel it underfoot. So in a reduced housekeeping world, why would hotels choose the surface that needs more cleaning to look equally clean? And will likely skyrocket the noise complaints?
Some inaccurate assumptions here.

1) NO ONE is putting "hardwood" into hotel rooms, unless it's a very high end resort. The flooring of choice these days is so-called luxury vinyl plank, otherwise known as...vinyl plank. It doesn't stain, cleans like you'd mop a linoleum floor, has texture enough to mimic wood, and if a single strip gets damaged, it can be replaced easily. That kind of hard surface IN NO WAY "shows the dirt."

2) Most carpet stains come from liquid spills. LVP is waterproof. Wipe it up. You're done.

3) Most LVP comes with a softening underlayment that will reduce noise. Possibly not to the extent that carpet does, but most noise transmission up/down in hotel rooms comes from either a creaking subfloor or absolute stomping/clomping from above. Even carpet doesn't handle a 10-year-old stomping across the floor.

4) While the real science may be that COVID isn't transmitted from surfaces, there is a general "ew, ick" factor among germophobic Millennials that was moving people towards "sanitary" long before COVID arrived. Just check out the numbers of FTers who proudly wrote about how they brought boxes of wipes on the plane pre-COVID to wipe down everything they might touch. Germs! Ack! In this case, hotels are marketing to people's perceptions as much as they are to reality.
GUWonder and travelmad478 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.