Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What circumstances do you ask for compensation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What circumstances do you ask for compensation?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CX Gold
Last week I was due to fly PVD-ORD-GDL but due to mechanical issues the first flight was delayed by 8 hours. As a result I arrived in GDL 24 hours late and missed a full day of meetings. This morning I asked for *some* compensation for that. I don't think I've ever done that before but in this case it felt warranted.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
When do you ask for compensation?

a. airline has a 20 minute bag guarantee and your bag comes out at 22 minutes after passenger door open
b. wifi doesn't work and there's an announcement at the beginning of the flight
c. other problem with flight (describe)
In (A) I might ask for compensation, but only because the airline has advertised a guarantee with explicit compensation rules. And only if seeking the compensation isn't a bigger inconvenience to me than it's worth.

In (B) I will only ask for compensation in the form of refunding me a fee I've paid, if any.

In other cases with airlines I'm generally of the mindset that "Sh-t happens". I don't seek compensation for things outside the airline's control. For example, inbound aircraft or crew suffered WX delays so we depart 90 minutes late even though it's clear here? Fine, that's just life as a traveler. Though at least twice an airline has proactively offered me a voucher for the inconvenience in such situations. I won't refuse an offer that exceeds my expectations.

When I do ask for compensation my first request is generally in the form of suitable reaccommodation. Hotel room is noisy? I don't ask for points or cash; I ask for a quieter room.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
If I'm non-trivially inconvenienced for something under the control of the airline/hotel/whatever I'll send something in, though I generally don't specifically request compensation since I already know that's how they'll respond to a complaint.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 10:10 am

Bias in favor of airline

You will generally find this forum has a significant bias against the passenger in favor of the airline, if you don't pay 1$ of your $1400 fare, and the airline refuses to carry you they will say, see that is what you get when you don't pay them, yet when the airline fails to deliver due to an event FULLY within thier control and you demand consideration, you are 'greedy' or are trying to cheat them.

I generally don't believe in regulation, but in situations where there really is no competition in many markets and the barrier to entry is high - like say domestic air travel within the us - the heavy hand of regulation has a place
strickerj likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Nhilar
You will generally find this forum has a significant bias against the passenger in favor of the airline, if you don't pay 1$ of your $1400 fare, and the airline refuses to carry you they will say, see that is what you get when you don't pay them, yet when the airline fails to deliver due to an event FULLY within thier control and you demand consideration, you are 'greedy' or are trying to cheat them.
I disagree with your characterization of this forum.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 3:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Nhilar

I generally don't believe in regulation, but in situations where there really is no competition in many markets and the barrier to entry is high - like say domestic air travel within the us - the heavy hand of regulation has a place
On Travelbuzz? I haven't noticed that.

I've noticed that a few of the airline boards have a few hardcore homers who believe the airline can do no wrong. But they are a minority.

In the examples given in the OP, I might invoke a baggage guarantee if it's an easy process. I don't check bags often, but from what I understand the airlines that do this have spent some money marketing it as a differentiator, so it seems fair game (and perhaps even welcomed) to claim it. The comp is low - something like 2500 Alaska miles, I think? - so it would have to a seamless process and I'd have to be fairly certain I was correct in my assertion that the time really was greater than 20 minutes.

This is similar to invoking the various guarantees that hotels (Marriott, mainly) make for various elite benefits. I don't try to "trap" them into failing to deliver, but if they can't get my bed/smoke right or won't give me the promised amenity, I have no moral problem invoking their own marketed guarantee. But I won't go to Hilton and ask for $50 for not getting my bed type right because "Marriott would give it to me."

I've never invoked the Hampton 100% guarantee, but I've thought about it. Something would have to be very, very bad - coupled with management indifference - to make me demand a full refund.
krazykanuck and strickerj like this.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 8:37 pm

Programs: QF, AA, SQ, EK, EY
Marriott has really stuffed me around on a rewards booking taking me a lot of time before they finally said that I'd done the right thing. I asked them for 20K points for all my wasted time and as their system is to blame, not me. They gave me 5K. I feel miffed. Should I pursue it a further 15K points, if so how to take it higher than an associate - any advice plse on further contact details higher up? I'm platinum.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Anna Aus
Marriott has really stuffed me around on a rewards booking taking me a lot of time before they finally said that I'd done the right thing. I asked them for 20K points for all my wasted time and as their system is to blame, not me. They gave me 5K. I feel miffed. Should I pursue it a further 15K points, if so how to take it higher than an associate - any advice plse on further contact details higher up? I'm platinum.
What is the time frame for "taking me a lot of time"?
Old Oct 10, 2019, 4:21 am

Impossible to answer without more details.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
I've never invoked the Hampton 100% guarantee, but I've thought about it. Something would have to be very, very bad - coupled with management indifference - to make me demand a full refund.
As an illustration of that point, I've only ever used the Hampton 100% guarantee twice, out of dozens of Hampton Inn stays. Both times were when problems within the property's ability to control caused me to lose multiple hours of sleep.

I'm not the type of person to complain over trivial things such as, "You ran out of sausage at breakfast so I wasn't 100% satisfied, I want a full refund!" I don't condone that sort of behavior, and the FT community here generally doesn't, either. While it may arguably be within the letter of a policy such as Hampton's 100% guarantee it's an abuse of the system-- and the goodwill of the people tasked to implement it. A small number of money-grubbing serial complainers out there make it more challenging for the rest of us to seek appropriate redress when significant problems do occur.
strickerj likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 12:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
If you landed on the correct outcome and they gave you 5,000 extra points for the hassle, I'd probably drop it.

As others have already said, it's hard to give you any further advice without more details.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by ft101
Impossible to answer without more details.
Thanks,

My reward booking was for 70K points. Marriott changed it to 100K in the peak/off shuffle. Online, my booking req'd points had changed, no notice from them though.

I phoned - the system was down. Called again next day and after 3 phone calls someone raised a case.

It was clear the onus of proof was on me as they kept no record of what I'd booked. They take the booking but don't honor the bkg (I sound like Seinfeld).
Although I sent a pdf of the bkg they said they didn't receive, I know it sent.

In their emails, they couldn't decide if the extra points required was to be 100K or 80K points. Further, stating that peak pricing had changed months before I made the bkg for 70K points as if somehow I had manipulated it. Who knows how that could happen.

After numerous emails and phone calls I have requested 20K Marriott points for my frustration, time and indignation at their big company incompetence. They have provided 10K.

Should I just stop at that? Their system has the truly frustrating issue that should be solved. Appreciate yr comments.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 9:11 pm

OK, thanks, just saw this. Maybe I just stop now.

Originally Posted by pinniped
If you landed on the correct outcome and they gave you 5,000 extra points for the hassle, I'd probably drop it.

As others have already said, it's hard to give you any further advice without more details.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 8:56 am

Exactly what I am talking about.

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
As an illustration of that point, I've only ever used the Hampton 100% guarantee twice, out of dozens of Hampton Inn stays. Both times were when problems within the property's ability to control caused me to lose multiple hours of sleep.

I'm not the type of person to complain over trivial things such as, "You ran out of sausage at breakfast so I wasn't 100% satisfied, I want a full refund!" I don't condone that sort of behavior, and the FT community here generally doesn't, either. While it may arguably be within the letter of a policy such as Hampton's 100% guarantee it's an abuse of the system-- and the goodwill of the people tasked to implement it. A small number of money-grubbing serial complainers out there make it more challenging for the rest of us to seek appropriate redress when significant problems do occur.
Now personally I would not complain about lack of food at a 'free' hotel breakfast/dinner as to me, with some very few exceptions, it is mostly garbage that I would not eat - I understand personal standards vary - however your attitude about people who complain about such things is the bias I am talking about, you realize the 100% guarantee is in the contract right? It is a paid for term in rate, the rate includes some fraction the actuaries computed would invoke the 100% guarantee and further , serial abusers (who are committing fraud) are probably banned, don't know for sure on that one - but I would bet the 'problem' if there actually is one will be self correcting as buisness has the right to refuse service.

...so you have no problem if the hotel/airline/etc. Strictly enforces policy on the buyer but give a pass to the seller based on your personal biases....that's not how contracts should work...terms are terms no matter how you feel, as I am constantly reminded about the contract of carridge.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 5:38 pm

Location: Los Angeles and Eastern Sierra (weekly travel to SJC). "Home airports": LAX/BUR/BIH/SJC
Programs: SWA A-List Preferred, TSA Pre
I flew BUR->JFK last night. I knew ahead of time that weird things can happen with this route because of how short the runway is, heat, and prevailing winds. I was on the lucky flight that had to divert for refueling. We had already departed 45 mins late, and were on the ground in SLC refueling for over an hour (a few fuel trucks filled up the tank). The flight took something like 6.5 hours.

Before we were even left the gate at BUR, a woman sounded irate with a flight attendant demanding compensation for having to divert to which the flight attendant basically said it isn't their problem that it's windy (that's true, was just surprised that he got into it with the passenger).

We all ended up getting a $25 credit for use on a future flight...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.