Jobs that fly a lot

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jobs that fly a lot

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
I do tech investing, although as a manager of the fund I also have a hand in crafting our expense policy, which we try to make comparable with our peers. We are competing for talent after all...

Policy is business for everyone on trips beyond a certain number of hours. Economy otherwise. You are welcome to upgrade to a higher class at your own cost, or fly a higher class if it's roughly the same price or cheaper. Since we book so closed in to our travel, prices between F and J tend to narrow quite a bit.

When creating our policy, I was very much opposed to tiering by rank. But it's easy for us to maintain a universal policy, as we are a very small operation by headcount. If we had greater than 50 employees, I think some level of segmentation would be warranted. And many of our peers offer private jet usage for general partners. I felt like giving a universal policy that applies to all of our employees was a trade off for not permitting private jets.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I work for a Fortune 50 (not tech) company...

<6: Y (but not allowed to book basic economy)
>6: J allowed by policy, but you might get a weird look if you booked it on, say, BOS-SFO... It’s really meant more for international travel. If I was flying DFW-LHR, it would be J all the way no questions asked.

There’s also a “weird” provision where if you’re flying to certain “high-risk” countries, you can fly J no matter the flight length.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I work for a Fortune 50 (not tech) company...

<6: Y (but not allowed to book basic economy)
>6: J allowed by policy, but you might get a weird look if you booked it on, say, BOS-SFO... It’s really meant more for international travel. If I was flying DFW-LHR, it would be J all the way no questions asked.

There’s also a “weird” provision where if you’re flying to certain “high-risk” countries, you can fly J no matter the flight length.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
My company is something like:

<4h in North America: Y (full-fare okay in some situations)
>4h in North America: J for some staff (mostly so the road warriors don't burn out and quit), incl sr mgmt
Long-haul: J for regular business trips, PY for training or relocation type trips

No cash payment for booking a lower COS, as company rationale for buying J is for employees to be more rested and productive.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 5:56 pm

Programs: Delta PM Hilton Diamond Bonvoy Ti/LTP Hertz PC
At my company, for those of us in heavier travel roles, the policy is J/Domestic F for any flights >3 hours. Applies to all ranks or titles in those roles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.