Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Traveling with Mom (or Parents)

Traveling with Mom (or Parents)

Old Sep 17, 19, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Smile Traveling with Mom (or Parents)

I've been curious to hear your opinion about traveling with parent(s). Obviously, after I published an article about it, I heard different views (all great). In the past few years, I have been taking my 69-year-old mother around the world. She thoroughly enjoyed it.

Also, in my article, I talked about how we share a bed when the double is not available. It's not a big deal for me at all. I am a 31-year-old single male. But some people think it's weird. So, I want to hear what you guys think. Please share your travel experience with your parent(s).

https://firstofly.com/2019/09/08/traveling-with-mom/

Last edited by johnsw1988; Sep 17, 19 at 9:58 pm Reason: Typo/Grammar
Old Sep 18, 19, 9:23 am

Programs: AS DL
Your mother or parents are going to be dead someday. Might as well travel when you have a chance. Later on, elderly people sometimes have bowel or bladder trouble which can make traveling more difficult, such as constantly looking for a toilet or having to wear diapers.

Sharing a bed with your parent is to save money but don't let that get out. Your future wife or husband might not like it. Or they may think it is weird and dump you
Old Sep 18, 19, 9:47 am

I try to take my mom somewhere every year. Desperately trying to get her to take the leap and go International. She's not opposed to it, loves to learn about the world, but she's a terrible worrier about being away from home for a long time. Also, she hurt her knee really badly a couple of years ago and is worried about getting around. I told her not to worry about it, on days where walking a ton isn't an option, I will make it work. Tours, hop on hop off buses, Uber, me driving, whatever it takes. She's 68. She's in great shape other than the knee.

I like to go all out when I travel with her. Just love to spoil her. She hasn't flown coach since I started carting her around. We just got back from a trip to my former home of Portland about a week ago. She says she wants to go back to New England next year but I'm pushing for old England instead.

Reading the article, your mom sounds a lot like mine. She takes like 3 bags. I don't even know what's in there. My mom is tiny, thin, 5'1 if even so it's not clothes. I think she's just a terrible packer. On our last trip, I got a notice on my phone just before we left that our first flight was delayed and we may not make the connection. I looked and we would have about 20 minutes. I can totally do that, but her multiple bags would not make it. I took all of her stuff out, repacked in a carry-on and a small duffel bag and away we went. Made the flight with carry-on only. My mom loves to shop as well. Eating with her can be a challenge as she likes very simple food. No spice. I managed to get her to try Hawaiian recently and she loved it, though.

We could never share a bed, though. She says I've always been way too active of a sleeper for her to get any rest next to.
johnsw1988 likes this.

Last edited by MissJ; Sep 18, 19 at 9:54 am
Old Sep 18, 19, 2:53 pm

Programs: UW*, UL*S
When I travel, my parents will get the premium class, and I'll sit in cattle class. It's the least they deserve for a lifetime of hardship, refugeeing to Canada, and then (still) raising me and supporting me through school.

Also, between me, sister, and parents, the four of us hold credit cards with annual (or easy to get) companion vouchers. We usually travel one child + one parent, but sometimes it works out to have a full family trip somewhere across Canada or even transborder!

Within the last several years, most of my mileage bank has gone toward other family members. I'll finally be able to cash in a RTW trip with dad this winter in business though, so that'll be a treat!

Oh, and whenever my parents travel back to Vietnam they tend to pack lots and lots of treats, medicine, and hardware to bring back to their remote village. When I was growing up this translated to hundreds of dollars in overage baggage fees. I've been catering parents' travel bookings to accumulate for them some kind of status so they cheaply take more bags home. They really look forward to renewing status every year for the bags benefit alone! LOL
johnsw1988 likes this.

Last edited by asovse1; Sep 18, 19 at 3:09 pm
Old Sep 19, 19, 8:06 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Plat, Honors Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Wyndham Plat, National Exec, Hertz 5*
15 years ago I took my mother to Europe. We left on her 55th birthday after staying in a suite at the Milennium Hilton in NYC. We did Amsterdam, Paris, and Brussels and had a fantastic time. She got to see places that she'd never thought she'd get to see because my father had no desire to travel to Europe. We even spent time in the archives of the city where our family emigrated from in the Netherlands. Best parts of it for me were getting to see these places, that I had been to many times, through a new set of eyes. She was like a kid when we were at the top of the Eiffel Tower asking what everything was and where our hotel was (you could see ET from the balcony). Funniest part was checking into the Conrad in Brussels and have a Mr. and Mrs. greeting on the TV. Thought correct, it was a bit odd since we were mother and son.
johnsw1988 likes this.

Search this Thread