Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bill Gates' 'Think Week' -- Flyertalk Edition

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2019, 10:55 pm

Programs: LH M+M
<rant>
Ehm, this 'disconnect in the woods' is the point. Not sitting in an "high-end" area with "2-3 good restaurants" completly distracting it.
Good wifi to read blogs? Get some books - they dont bleep-blop for "new email" or similar.
</rant>

Anyway, I did such a think-week in 2012 on the Outer Hebrides. Hours of beach/dune walk with barely seeing a person, let alone meet one.
No laptop, only a "basic phone" (for personal emergencies like getting lost). So basically none of OP's requirements met :-).

It wasn't only for "thinking" but also getting stress relief.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
I think people aren't totally getting it, but that's OK. Don't think this is something many people do.

It's not trying to disconnect from technology, and go for long walks on the beach to think about life and de-stress. Nothing wrong with that, but that's a vacation. Nor is it staying home with all the problems of the house -- the yard needs tending, the laundry isn't done, and so on. Nothing wrong with that, but that's... just life. And it's not renting an Airbnb somewhere secluded and then dealing with everything else yourself -- thats still a vacation, just a more stressful one.

The idea is to find somewhere where everything's taken care of for you, but you're outside your usual environment and disconnected from the day-to-day, and so you can focus 100% on your work. The best analogy I can come up with is a long first class flight -- nobody on the ground can bother you, you don't have to do anything but sit there, and if you need anything (e.g. food), you press a button and somebody brings it by. It's not a perfect analogy, but maybe gets the point across. What's the resort version of a first class flight?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by KatW
Of course I know that. But you may have to make some compromises if you don’t want to pay luxury rates. Or, you could be in the wrong forum.

Other options: some AirB&Bs can arrange housekeeping. You may be anle to hire a caterer to bring in meals.
Exactly. If requirements are that simple, an Air B&B in a beautiful location would work. I have friends who do this in Maine, for example.

Basic housekeeping could easily be arranged, and local gourmet markets/restaurants could handle delivering meals.

This is definitely the wrong forum if the OP want all of this in an hotel, at low prices.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: Independent
Foe me that IS a First Class flight - one of the reasons I don't like watching in flight entertainment. Just looking out the window, it's where I do my best thinking and problem solving.

I think perhaps you don't want to look so much towards luxury as towards full service. Then again vacation I think means different things to different people.

I would for myself prefer something more simple, fewer distractions. I don't have much for ideas, but maybe someplace that is a tourist destination but off season. Maybe one of the larger resorts in Hawaii during off-season?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I drove long distances out west in remote areas of NE, SD, ND, MT, WY. This summer.

I went for long walks in national monuments and national parks that were very remote.

I never felt the need to completely unplug, but driving in this awe inspiring country cleared my head about all the political bickering. It gives you a new perspective and allows you to think.

Another place I have gone to 'think' was Joshua Tree NP. There is a mountain called Mt Ryan, and its not a steep climb, but when you get to the top, its quiet. No sounds but the desert and the wind. No cell signal. Its a great way to reconnect with yourself and make major life decisions.

I don't need some high end retreat off the grid for a week. I can stay in a Hampton Inn and drive and get remote. I try to do this at least once a year.

It really clears your head.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Self-supported gravel bike tour in the pacific northwest. Lots of roads where you can be far away from people, and enough civilization that you can stop in motels to sleep and don't have to carry full camping gear. Lots of time to think while out pedaling in the forest.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by sophialite
Seems like the moderator agreed, which is why the thread was moved.
As the thread remains momentarily in its original location, I posted the above reply before I read the subsequent post about moderator action. I appreciate the observation, and hope all is clarified.

Re hotels, many chains have properties that would qualify as sufficiently relaxing for a retreat. Hyatt has Highlands Inn, and I also have always loved their Hakone property (Japan) on points. The later is especially relaxing due to its onsen baths.

Virtually any good resort with secluded or otherwise tranquil accommodation, and good F&B/room service, could function as a retreat destination.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 10:22 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

I find that anywhere you can get a relaxing bit of private time in nature (beaches, mountains, forests, deserts), and a room with a very pleasant view, allows time to unwind and think. Ideally it would have a rocking type chair, with a cozy blanket, on an outdoor terrace with an amazing view. The older I get, the more valuable a lovely view has become to me. It's just so relaxing to gaze out mindlessly over the horizon, listening to the sounds of nature. Next best is a nice view over a city. I was just in Tokyo at one of the Radissons with a harbor view room. We watched the tourist and freight boats come and go, load and unload. It was terrific. Like watching an aquarium of fish swim around... I was completely detached, yet mesmerized. Then I took a bubble bath. Mr San Diego went for a long walk, that's his relaxation RX.

Whatever helps you clear your mind of day to day distractions is the goal for me. I personally find too much staff distracting and don't mind making my own coffee or tea. That's probably because I'm not Bill Gates! The Gates Foundation has the lofty-- and for them, achievable-- goal of addressing huge global issues. Birth control and education for women in 3rd world countries, for instance. They feel that their wealth allows them to explore large scale solutions ahead of governments. They have to think these things through, nuance by nuance, on a much larger scale than I do. My ambitions are so much smaller than the Gates' that I really don't need weeks to sort them out. My life is not very complicated. A few hours of down time on rocking chair is perfect.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dordal
AirB&B, sadly, don't come with daily service and 2-3 restaurants built in.
They're not cheap but some of the higher end castle hotels in Europe would work. Some have extensive grounds and parks as well as at least one fine dining restaurant and (generally) room service. Start with R&C, or look for rural and small town properties of this type in FHR, LHW, Virtuoso, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.