Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Bill Gates' 'Think Week' -- Flyertalk Edition

Old Sep 9, 2019, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist

Bill Gates is famous for doing twice yearly 'think weeks' -- he'll retreat to a cottage in the woods and just think about the future.

Gates spends the week completely secluded from civilization– alone with his own thoughts and a pile of thought proposals. The seven days tend to include a lot of reading, a lot of thinking, and a lot of alone time, as Gates is completely disconnected from family members, friends, and employees (despite one exception: a caretaker who slips him two simple meals a day.) Ref: https://thriveglobal.com/stories/bill-gates-think-week/

I'm no Bill Gates, but I'm thinking this isn't exactly a bad idea. I'm trying to put one of these together for myself, but lacking a dedicated cottage in the woods, I'm looking for suggestions on where to go. I think the requirements would be:

- A high end 'retreat' type property -- that means outside the city, and something quiet and peaceful. Beach, mountains, forrest, tundra whatever all probably OK, but no honeymooners shrieking as they zipline through.
- Large, private grounds where you can walk, sit, think, etc.
- At least 2-3 good restaurants on property -- my version of the 'caretaker'.
- Good tech infrastructure (e.g. wifi) -- lacking an 80,000 person company to send me proposals, I'd probably focus on reading blogs from thought leaders, etc. Probably also a business center type thing for printing out documents.
- Adults only? Guess not an absolute requirement, but you don't want kids splashing you while you're on your laptop by the pool.
- Also because I'm not Bill Gates, something reasonably priced on points or cash. That probably means going internationally, but maybe not.

So where? Something like the Maldives I think is out -- not great infrastructure and super expensive. Cabo maybe? Seems super touristy. One of those Arizona retreats, like one of the Hyatt Miraval properties? Beach retreat in Thailand?

Curious if anybody's ever tried something like this, or if you have ideas of properties that might be good.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 2:48 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
The premise of this thread is silly. Im reluctant to recommend it but Villa La Coste. Doesn't get a lot of play on this forum but I like it because it means more for me
Old Sep 9, 2019, 7:48 am

Mmmmm . . . I'll have a think.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 11:06 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
You can get a cottage in the woods at Twin Farms. Totally quiet. Fabulous food. Excellent service. Beautiful anytime of year.
BESVISOR, KatW and MikeFromTokyo like this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 2:59 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Ericka

You can get a cottage in the woods at Twin Farms. Totally quiet. Fabulous food. Excellent service. Beautiful anytime of year.
Many have hammocks on a screened porch, some offer hot tubs.

Also Blackberry Mountain.
https://www.blackberrymountain.com/

However, both venues are expensive and no mileage applies.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Cool thanks.

@sophialite sorry if you think this is silly... I def think there's something to being able to disconnect from the day to day for a week, and focus on long term planning.

If anybody else has ideas would love to hear them -- esp something international, which might be more affordable for staying for a longer period of time. I just about keeled over when I saw this:

FROM 2,800.00 USD / Night

Last edited by dordal; Sep 9, 2019 at 5:38 pm
Old Sep 9, 2019, 5:42 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by dordal
Cool thanks.

@sophialite sorry if you think this is silly... I def think there's something to being able to disconnect from the day to day for a week, and focus on long term planning.

If anybody else has ideas would love to hear them -- esp something international, which might be more affordable for staying for a longer period of time. I just about keeled over when I saw this:

FROM 2,800.00 USD / Night
You may want to consider AirB&B. Your primary requirement seems to be an affordable standalone dwelling in lovely natural environs.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KatW
You may want to consider AirB&B. Your primary requirement seems to be an affordable standalone dwelling in lovely natural environs.
AirB&B, sadly, don't come with daily service and 2-3 restaurants built in.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 9:33 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by dordal
AirB&B, sadly, don't come with daily service and 2-3 restaurants built in.
Of course I know that. But you may have to make some compromises if you don’t want to pay luxury rates. Or, you could be in the wrong forum.

Other options: some AirB&Bs can arrange housekeeping. You may be anle to hire a caterer to bring in meals.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 9:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Staycation if you don't have a family? Just disconnect and enjoy your home. Cheap (free) and you already know neighborhood restaurants, etc.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Sep 12, 2019 at 10:23 am Reason: Correcting autocorrect again
Old Sep 9, 2019, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KatW
Of course I know that. But you may have to make some compromises if you don’t want to pay luxury rates. Or, you could be in the wrong forum.
I was more thinking internationally might have some places that offer a similar level of luxury for ~$280/night instead of ~$2800/night. Maybe I'm wrong though; I've rarely done the retreat thing and almost always stay in the city when I'm on vacation because that's where the action is.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 10:21 pm
Original Member

$280/night for stand-alone (presumably sequestered) in lovely natural environs with daily housekeeping and two or three good restaurants on site likely will not happen but this is the wrong forum for that. Even internationally.

Honestly, you’ve got this all kattywhumpus
LinLant and BESVISOR like this.

Last edited by KatW; Sep 9, 2019 at 10:27 pm
Old Sep 9, 2019, 10:43 pm
Community Director Emerita

Go to the Marriott forum and explore the hacienda properties in the Yucatan. I've stayed at several and some have 10 or fewer rooms.
benjymessner likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 11:15 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Go to the Marriott forum and explore the hacienda properties in the Yucatan. I've stayed at several and some have 10 or fewer rooms.
Good idea. Mileage may apply, if you have same in that program. Wifi sometimes iffy and restaurant options limited. But it is the best possibility yet suggested.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 3:18 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems clear to me that the OP is not at a price point where this thread is appropriate for the luxury hotel forum, so I am moving this to Travelbuzz.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels and travel

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.