Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Small bottles of toiletries equal great luxury?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Small bottles of toiletries equal great luxury?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2019, 10:50 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
I have to admit with what’s going on lately in the Dominican Republic that I would be very concerned about people tampering with the toiletries and introducing deadly materials.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 10:58 pm

Programs: Aadvantage Platinum, Marriott Gold
Even the little bottles are being refilled in hotels of all price levels - worries tampering should apply no matter what
thebakaronis likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Not true at all. Most plastics are burned. When you say "recycle" you mean put them in a recycling bin? That basically means nothing. Many waste management companies just throw them away. Some try to ship them to other countries for recycling, and those countries are rejecting the waste.
Sure it's not true if you define recycling as burning. For me though, recycling means they will be used again, whether in their original format or as raw materals for another product.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Other than those flying with carry-on only
which seems to be a majority of FT

, how about bring your own shampoo and such and use none at the hotel? Is everyone dependent on hotel toiletries or they are dirty and smell bad?

Those little soaps in all hotels are too small for other than children's hands. Bring a bar of soap too.
I could bring a sleeping bag and pillow in my checked luggage as well and just sleep on the street. Save money ^
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: BAEC
Being a bit keen to minimise unnecessary plastic consumption, was super impressed with these when I checked into a hotel a couple of weeks ago. Then it occurred to me that it’s just another petrochemical variant with limited recycling options.

I suppose the main advantage is the total mass seems smaller than a mini plastic bottle, so not perfect, but getting there.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: BAEC
Weird, images didn’t upload.. this is what I’m referring to, https://shopb2b.gfl.eu/en-gb/anyah/c...%23dyp10_30may
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by ft101
Sure it's not true if you define recycling as burning. For me though, recycling means they will be used again, whether in their original format or as raw materals for another product.
Then how do you know that you recycle anything? You have no idea what happens to it
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by flsusi
Even the little bottles are being refilled in hotels of all price levels - worries tampering should apply no matter what
Given how hard it is to get all the conditioner OUT of the tiny bottle opening, I'm curious about how time-consuming it must be to refill the bottles?
obscure2k and Kevin AA like this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by lupine
Given how hard it is to get all the conditioner OUT of the tiny bottle opening, I'm curious about how time-consuming it must be to refill the bottles?
I presume you are jesting but simple, just need a proper sized tube/tip that fits in.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:21 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I'm a big fan of alternatives to little bottles, but in luxury hotels that's not to have an Aloft style squeezy dispenser which does indeed look cheap and isn't terribly convenient (I always find I get the Aloft Blue Bliss stuff all over the tub). There is a lot of excess plastic use in hotels, and as a European I see more single use plastic in a single mid-range hotel room than I normally come across in a month.
Two examples of places I have seen doing it right:
The St George Hotel (Design Hotels, Marriott affiliated) has large and very high quality product bottles. They are in a reasonable quality plastic and look and feel good
Amanjiwo goes one step further and have permanent non-plastic containers, again with quality products inside (no branding)

I'd quite like to see a Marriott luxury chain (maybe the St Regis?) create some luxury reusable product containers and to use the opportunity of price-saving to use a better product than they currently are. I do not like Remede in whatever format (and are those micro-beads in the shower gel?)
Old Jun 28, 2019, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Then how do you know that you recycle anything? You have no idea what happens to it
I have the idea that burning does not equal recycling. You can't change definitions to suit yourself by saying this or that might happen.

If it was a big concern to me I would investigate the recycling process to ensure it was what I expected.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 9:00 am

I have the idea that burning does not equal recycling. You can't change definitions to suit yourself by saying this or that might happen.

If it was a big concern to me I would investigate the recycling process to ensure it was what I expected.
I know it isn't a big concern. But doesn't mean that you are recycling. Because you are not recycling. Almost nobody is recycling. People may put things in recycle bins but those almost always do not get recycled.
Thus the logic that "I'm recycling so it is ok if I use lots of plastics" is not valid.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
The vast majority of the population does not stay in luxury hotels. The vast majority of shampoo is dispensed by people at home from large containers that aren't used by a hundred other people and get refilled by a stranger.

If it concerns you that much, then take the unused product home, or donate it to charity. There are bigger issues in the world than this.
Only if you waste them. Re-use or re-cycle and your OK.
The problem is the 99% of hotel guests who use a bit then toss it away. A few people recycling/reusing them doesn't change that there's a huge amount of waste being generated here for no reason.

There are high quality wall dispensers that can and should be used for showers. If those feel to "YMCAish", an accor I stayed in recently had large ~1/2 liter size bottles for pump bottles for hand soap and bath soap that were very high quality and kept refilled. Those are a good option.
kimberlyrose likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by lost_perspicacity
The problem is the 99% of hotel guests who use a bit then toss it away. A few people recycling/reusing them doesn't change that there's a huge amount of waste being generated here for no reason.

There are high quality wall dispensers that can and should be used for showers. If those feel to "YMCAish", an accor I stayed in recently had large ~1/2 liter size bottles for pump bottles for hand soap and bath soap that were very high quality and kept refilled. Those are a good option.
99% of the top 0.1% of the population... big deal, it's still the top 0.1%.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:05 am

I guess it doesn't matter whether or not you are concerned. Because Daily Show with Noah Trevor just talked about it. "Better now to recycle than recycle improperly"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.