Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

No one wants the middle seat on airplanes

No one wants the middle seat on airplanes

Old Jul 18, 19, 5:13 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: SFO
Programs: UA, AS, UR, MR
Posts: 553
No one wants the middle seat on airplanes

I wonder if United is looking into Molon Labe Seating’s new seat design.

"It's still going to suck. Now it's going to suck less."

No one wants the middle seat on airplanes. This design could change that
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/airplane-middle-seat-design-trnd/index.html
vanillabean is offline  
Old Jul 18, 19, 5:56 pm
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: GVA (Greater Vancouver Area)
Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Posts: 49,241
Originally Posted by vanillabean View Post
No one wants the middle seat on airplanes. This design could change that
The article makes no sense. Put the middle seat back and lower so the passenger can reach the higher and more forward armrest? DO they expect the passengers to stick their arms straight out in front of them? What are they smoking?
mahasamatman is offline  
Old Jul 18, 19, 6:13 pm
  #3  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 47,244
Originally Posted by vanillabean View Post
I wonder if United is looking into Molon Labe Seating’s new seat design.

"It's still going to suck. Now it's going to suck less."

No one wants the middle seat on airplanes. This design could change that
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/a...rnd/index.html

Been around for years, appears no major airline has expressed any interest and I don't find that surprising
https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/i...ss-hassle.html 2015 article
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Jul 18, 19, 9:28 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Denver, CO, USA
Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Posts: 20,813
But moving the middle seat back a few inches allows for more space, so the company made the middle seat about three to five inches wider than the standard 18 inch seat.
Um, the standard seat is 17 inches, not 18, on most single aisle Boeings; and if they take "three to five inches" from the window and aisle seats, then those seats are now 15 or 16 inches wide.

None of this makes sense.

Looks like they've also abandoned the original idea of having the aisle seat slide in to widen the aisle at disembarking. I'm sure that was part of the reason why it's taken over four years to certify - there's no way they would be structurally stiff enough for crashes if they were on sliders.
DenverBrian is online now  
Old Jul 18, 19, 9:46 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: COS
Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Posts: 2,715
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
Um, the standard seat is 17 inches, not 18, on most single aisle Boeings; and if they take "three to five inches" from the window and aisle seats, then those seats are now 15 or 16 inches wide.

None of this makes sense.

Looks like they've also abandoned the original idea of having the aisle seat slide in to widen the aisle at disembarking. I'm sure that was part of the reason why it's taken over four years to certify - there's no way they would be structurally stiff enough for crashes if they were on sliders.
Every pilot and copilot seat on commercial and private aircraft is on sliders.
milski likes this.
COSPILOT is online now  
Old Jul 18, 19, 10:28 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Denver, CO, USA
Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Posts: 20,813
Originally Posted by COSPILOT View Post

Every pilot and copilot seat on commercial and private aircraft is on sliders.
Front-to-back, not side-to-side, yes?

And I would think that the two pilot seats are made to far stronger specs than passenger seats. And are far heavier.
DenverBrian is online now  
Old Jul 18, 19, 10:39 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: COS
Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Posts: 2,715
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
Front-to-back, not side-to-side, yes?

And I would think that the two pilot seats are made to far stronger specs than passenger seats. And are far heavier.
Not in small private aircraft such as a Cessna. They are pretty light. Yes, forward and aft only in small airplanes
COSPILOT is online now  
Old Jul 19, 19, 4:47 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Denver, CO, USA
Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Posts: 20,813
Originally Posted by COSPILOT View Post

Not in small private aircraft such as a Cessna. They are pretty light. Yes, forward and aft only in small airplanes
You seem to be making the point that side-to-side sliding seats exist somewhere in aviation. Fine by me.

This thread is about new seats for commercial aviation, for passengers, in three-across seating arrangements. MY point was that it's highly likely these seats couldn't certify because they originally were set up to be on side-to-side sliders, and that likely couldn't meet safety standards.
DenverBrian is online now  
Old Jul 19, 19, 7:23 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Houston
Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Posts: 771
Originally Posted by COSPILOT View Post

Every pilot and copilot seat on commercial and private aircraft is on sliders.
True- but they are much beefier than pax seats. Not saying sliders cannot work, just that A does not necessarily = B.
Collierkr is offline  
Old Jul 19, 19, 8:08 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: COS
Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Posts: 2,715
None of this matters, no airline has shown an ounce of interest in the concept. Almost anything can be built and certified, but if nobody wants it...
strickerj likes this.
COSPILOT is online now  
Old Jul 19, 19, 9:30 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 379
The only thing an airline wants is to make money, so they will keep the status quo. They would probably have switched to 4 across seating by now if our waistlines weren't going in the opposite direction.
strickerj likes this.
downinit is offline  
Old Jul 19, 19, 10:04 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South Park, CO
Programs: Tegridy Elite
Posts: 5,097
Originally Posted by downinit View Post
The only thing an airline wants is to make money, so they will keep the status quo. They would probably have switched to 4 across seating by now if our waistlines weren't going in the opposite direction.
Oh they'd stack us up like cordwood and load us onto pallets if they could!
downinit, DenverBrian, JBa and 1 others like this.
84fiero is offline  
Old Jul 19, 19, 12:54 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 379
Originally Posted by 84fiero View Post
Oh they'd stack us up like cordwood and load us onto pallets if they could!
I would'nt mind that as much, as least I would be able to afford a lie-flat on every flight.
Petdog, strickerj, 84fiero and 1 others like this.
downinit is offline  
Old Jul 19, 19, 3:30 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Citizen of EMEA
Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Marriott LTTitanium, HH Diamond
Posts: 305
They'd be better off ramping up the 'middle seat gets both armrests' marketing. There are too many selfish aisle and window PAX who think they are entitled to two.
strickerj and 84fiero like this.
Saint4805 is offline  
Old Jul 19, 19, 4:28 pm
  #15  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 88,136
I recall some people wanting a middle seat to increase their chance of finding a date or to have someone to talk to during the flight.
GUWonder is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread