Wiki Posts
Search

Reclining your seat

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond / OWE
Originally Posted by percysmith
Since this was CX I don't think so...FAs are trained to ask passengers to adjust their seats for meal. Since the FA said something else I presume a meal was not involved. Unless the FA is hopeless.
When I was asked to put my seat up it was right after drink service, and BEFORE meal service. It turned out that the child had a special meal so that's why the FA asked the guy next to me to put his seat up. But the reason I was asked to put my seat up was because the seat was too close to the rude lady's face.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:25 pm

Programs: LH M&M
Originally Posted by flubber
When I was asked to put my seat up it was right after drink service, and BEFORE meal service. It turned out that the child had a special meal so that's why the FA asked the guy next to me to put his seat up. But the reason I was asked to put my seat up was because the seat was too close to the rude lady's face.
Ok then I misunderstood. I guess she must just be your garden variety jerk. Unfortunately you find them from time to time.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
It's funny how you seem to think that the consideration only flows backwards in the aircraft - the person in front should be considerate of *your* desires. But it never seems to flow forward - where *you* are considerate of the desire of the person in front of you to use the features installed in the seat that *they* paid for.

Now, if you want to sit behind me and pay for my ticket, then I will happily adjust my recline to whatever position you desire. But if you're not paying for my ticket, and you want to tell me what I need to do in order to make you more comfortable, well, that's just being selfish.
What part of "calculate whether the gain to your utility outweighs the loss to yours" did you not read?

Most of the time, your gain is less than the loss to the person behind you. Not always but mostly

And to your first point - it's literally civilisation. Noise complaints prevent you enjoying your music if your enjoyment of it affects others. C'est civilisation!
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:45 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Chr04
In many European trains instead of recline seats, the horizontal part of the seat goes front and so you recline but you dont bother they guy behind behind.behind.

Why airlines dont dont use this kind of seat, so you can recline but also its yiu that get the minimized space and not the guy behind you.
Cos I sleep on planes more than trains. I have a bad back. The horizontal seat (which is akin to CX's Olympus "hard shell" economy seat from the 2010s) is not as comfortable for sleeping as an actual recline.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:47 pm

• Pick an exit row
  • Pick a bulkhead
  • Buy two seats and try to talk them into leaving the one in front of you empty
  • Pick Premium Economy [doesn't always work. see above]
  • Buy First or Biz
  • Take a bus
  • Walk
Or just recline herself?
I'm sorry by physical restrictions that you and the pax behind you have to either watch TV or sleep at the same time, but how justifiable is it for one passenger to impose on the other either way?
Old Jun 21, 2019, 1:58 am

This old chestnut.

If the seat reclines, then I feel free to do so, other than at meal times. I don't feel a need to engage with or ask permission from other passengers.

If your issue is a lack of space, then speak to the airline about their seat pitch or use one of the options that caters for this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 4:12 am

[removed]

For the love of cornflakes - you bought a ticket on an airplane, KNOWING that recline is a function of the seat in front of you. If you don't like that:
  • Don't fly
  • Pick an exit row
  • Pick a bulkhead
  • Pick Premium Economy
  • Buy First or Biz
  • Take a bus
  • Walk
You have choices. [removed]

[removed] Reclining your seat and using your tray table have exactly the same regulations - there are only limitations on takeoff, landing and emergencies. Someone has exactly the same 'right' to use the tray table in any way they wish that is not counter to the small number of limitations, just like reclining.

KNOWING that a tray table can be used rightfully in most any manner, a person that does not like the fact that the tray table can be used as a 'equalizer' have most of same alternate travel options you describe with the added option of buying in the last row. So why with two equal 'rights' - both of which were paid for, do you favor one over the other..is it perhaps that one allows you to trample the humanity of others with no consequence and the other allows a measure of equalization? Rarely do bullies like it when thier victims can fight back.

[references to redacted quote]

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Jun 21, 2019 at 9:13 am Reason: deleted references to removed quotes
Old Jun 21, 2019, 5:33 am

Programs: UA Amex
Does anyone consider that the reason seats recline is because the airlines have evening, early morning, and overnight flights?
Maybe on a daytime flight there is not a need to put your seat in someone else’s face.
And on an RJ—no, the seat isn’t broken, it won’t go farther back if you keep bouncing your whole weight into it...I just don’t have anywhere else to put my knees because my carryon is under your seat.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 6:00 am

[removed]

For the love of cornflakes - you bought a ticket on an airplane, KNOWING that recline is a function of the seat in front of you. If you don't like that:
  • Don't fly
  • Pick an exit row
  • Pick a bulkhead
  • Pick Premium Economy
  • Buy First or Biz
  • Take a bus
  • Walk
You have choices. [removed]
Originally Posted by jburns513
Does anyone consider that the reason seats recline is because the airlines have evening, early morning, and overnight flights?
Maybe on a daytime flight there is not a need to put your seat in someone else’s face.
And on an RJ—no, the seat isn’t broken, it won’t go farther back if you keep bouncing your whole weight into it...I just don’t have anywhere else to put my knees because my carryon is under your seat.
My issue is not with reclining in general, but rather what you do exactly should your reclining cause physical pain/harm/discomfort to the person behind you. Do you choose to hurt them (after all it is your right) ? (A choice that seems to be A-okay with some on here) or do you choose empathy/compassion/mercy and generosity of spirit?

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Jun 21, 2019 at 9:14 am Reason: removed edited portions of quote
Old Jun 21, 2019, 6:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by txpenny
With the constantly shrinking seat room, space is tough. Regardless of how politely you said no, I think it was quite inconsiderate of you to ignore the FA's request.
It was not inconsiderate. The FA only told him that the person behind him wanted the seat raised. In this situation I would not have raised it either. Had however the FA mentioned it was because the woman was feeding her child I would have raised it temporarily until she was finished and then reclined as I saw fit.

Recline doesn't matter that much to me. Ask me nicely and provide a valid reason why I shouldn't and I will likely accommodate your request. Should however someone act like the woman in the first post or start pushing of kicking my seat the response will be very, very different.
flubber likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by Badenoch
It was not inconsiderate. The FA only told him that the person behind him wanted the seat raised. In this situation I would not have raised it either. Had however the FA mentioned it was because the woman was feeding her child I would have raised it temporarily until she was finished and then reclined as I saw fit.

Recline doesn't matter that much to me. Ask me nicely and provide a valid reason why I shouldn't and I will likely accommodate your request. Should however someone act like the woman in the first post or start pushing of kicking my seat the response will be very, very different.
In your opinion (and clearly many others).

Not to doubt the OP but we're not hearing the other side of the story. I'm going by the OP's statement that the FA (or arbiter in this case) asked the OP to raise his seat, meaning the FA deemed the woman's request appropriate (rightly or wrongly).

Aren't we supposed to obey the FA?
Old Jun 21, 2019, 8:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by txpenny
In your opinion (and clearly many others).

Not to doubt the OP but we're not hearing the other side of the story. I'm going by the OP's statement that the FA (or arbiter in this case) asked the OP to raise his seat, meaning the FA deemed the woman's request appropriate (rightly or wrongly).

Aren't we supposed to obey the FA?
The FA made a request, she did not issue an instruction on a safely-related matter. The OP and his seatmate were under no obligation, legal or otherwise, to acquiesce and there were no consequences from the airline for their refusal. It would take a highly-developed level of subservience to believe that one must "obey" each and every request from a flight attendant.
flubber and muji like this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:16 pm

Here's a question worth asking
If we're allowed to recline our seat, because the seats recline (an argument that would get you failed in Logic 101), are we also entitled to press hard against the seatback ahead of us with our legs to prevent it reclining? Or to attach a device to the seat stopping it?

I imagine the responses will be "no, those seat blocking devices are against the rules", constructing a beautiful circular argument that probably appeals to 18-year olds first discovering political philosophy ("Everything that isn't illegal is equally right"), but what about using one's feet? Should a recliner prevent me from sitting in a pseudo-fetal position?
Old Jun 22, 2019, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by akl_traveller
Or to attach a device to the seat stopping it?
Already banned https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...-specific.html
Old Jun 22, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
The OP did the right thing IMO although all the fuss could have been averted if the mother simply said "Excuse me gentlemen, I'm about to give my daughter her meal and therefore would you be so kind as to put your seats upright for the next 15 minutes or so".

It's not illegal to communicate with strangers and if doing so was a source of discomfort for the mother then that's her problem. There was no dispute that warranted involving the FA's. In this case the fault lies entirely with the mother who failed to communicate in a polite manner and as a result ended up creating an unnecessary fuss.
flubber, yno, rickg523 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Saint4805; Jun 22, 2019 at 8:14 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.